“Had a great week”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Harlingen
WEST CHESTER
“Had a great week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2009

I spent a business/pleasure week in Harlingen, visiting a relative during his off hours and, working from my hotel room while he was at work. I was wondering whether I had made a good choice since LaQuinta's advance-purchase AARP rate was about the lowest in the area, and experience shows you sometimes "get what you pay for." I was quite pleasantly surprised.

The property is clean and well-maintained. While I was there a contractor spent a few days cleaning the heating/AC units in each room. This is a good sign of preventive maintenance and might address another reviewer's comment about a musty smell in the room. I've experienced that smell in other budget hotels when the AC unit was not well maintained, but my room had no smells even before the AC maintenance.

The room was clean and spacious--larger than in some hotels--and the Wifi worked well. The table and chair were adequately large and comfortable to make a good workspace. My only two complaints are that the TV's picture was so dark that evening scenes couldn't be seen. Also, the shower drain was slow. I didn't even mention these to the hotel, as neither was a big enough deal to complain about.

This hotel is fairly large. I had a second-floor outer room (not overlooking the swimming pool) on the back side, away from traffic noise. Since the neighboring property (a school) was some distance away, it was fairly quiet, and there was little disturbance. The screened window opened.

As others have mentioned, the breakfast is ample and varied, and the staff are friendly. I saw no evidence of bugs, although January/February usually is not bug season anyway.

• Liked — Comfortable, clean, quiet, good location.
  • Disliked — TV too dark, slow drain in tub.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Guilford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

I had a lovely, clean, fresh-smelling room. Everything worked well - often a rarity. I had ample fresh clean towels. The Internet worked very well. The room was well-lit. The tiles in the bathroom antechamber were very pretty and festive looking. There was a hairdryer and shampoo. The TV worked fine and swiveled. One bed had a softer mattress, and the other a more firm mattress. I like firm mattresses, so chose that one. It was extremely comfortably, especially with the soft mattress cover provided. I didn't want to get out of bed!

The breakfast bar was good and well-stocked. The only thing missing was cold water, which another guest also mentioned.

The woman at the front desk was very helpful. I asked if there was a refrigerator in the room, which hadn't been mentioned when I booked it. She said no, but asked if I would like one. I said sure! I went out for a few hours, and when I returned, there was both a refrigerator and a microwave in the room. Great customer service!

I really liked my room. I saw the most recent review about the bedbugs just now. I didn't see any in my room and didn't get any bites, but am disturbed by what I read. Those things are very difficult to eradicate.

• Liked — Very clean, everything worked, great staff
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Winston Salem, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

This hotel was part of a flight/car/hotel package on Expedia. I have stayed at lots of La Quintas before and have never had a problem and assumed this one would be fine. It is a "motor inn" style hotel, which was a surprise to me. We (co-worker) decided to give it a go until I went to set my alarm clock and noticed a transparent smallish bug crawling around on the inside of the clock...and another one underneath where the clock had just been sitting. I looked behind the nightstand and it was filthy. Then I went immediately on line to look up bed bugs (their free internet worked great!) and certain that what I saw were bed bugs in the nymph stage, we immediately left. I am now writing this from a hotel down the street.
The woman at the front desk was very helpful and gave me a zero balance checkout invoice to show expedia so that we would not be charged.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DeaconTraveler

Travellers are raving about these Harlingen hotels

Midwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

Stayed here one night to fly out of Harlingen. Our room was ok...nothing special but it smelled old or musty. It appeared to be clean. However, we only had 1 bar of soap and no shampoo and 1 washcloth. We are members of their travel club so apparently that makes no diffference in which rooms you get.
The breakfast bar was good but they were a little slow to fill up the empty containers (rolls, toast, muffins) I did see several people filling up their purses with banana's and rolls so it's no wonder they replace things slowly. Some travelers are going to ruin the free breakfast bar for all of us by being greedy!

This hotel is located near many places so you can travel in all directions to where you are going. We have stayed there before and will probably stay there again. The price of $59 is a plus along with the location. I just hope they continue to upgrade and do maintence work around the outside so it won't get rundown.
All in all, it was worth what we paid.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — musty smell of room
  • Stayed May 2008
New Bern, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2008

Stayed there for about a week on an emergency trip. No problems at all. Had dog, and had no problems on stay. Right next to Denny's and a very short walk to Olive Garden, IHOP, etc. Easy access to Tyler street and restaurants/things to do/see. Would stay there again. They were re-painting the exterior of the place when I was there, but didn't effect my stay at all. Nothing special (not the ritz) but the price was good, the place was clean, and had no problems at all. Pretty standard La Quinta.

• Liked — Price was good.
  • Disliked — Packed breakfast area, kinda small
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank mjacostausmc
Southern California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2008

I arrived really late and was tired after a long trip. The first room they assigned me was sealed shut with masking tape and plastic sheeting. The key did not work anyway. Back to the desk clerk. He then found a note from a colleague with my name on the front, read it twice while I stood there, then asked me if I knew the person who had written it. I said yes and he gave it to me. Geez, that was surreal. He gave me another room. This next room opened OK, but it was clear that the staff was using this as a break room. The room had been cleaned once, but the hand towels had been used, the soap was open and on the counter (I actually took this as a positive sign), mosquitoes were squashed on the bathroom floor and walls, and there was an indentation of a body on the bed with a TV remote next to it. OK, I was beat, so I just tossed the towels on the floor, and set the AC to cool (the temp that day was 96 F and the room was hot). The AC did not work. The fan did not work. The next morning I asked them to fix the AC or move me to another room. They fixed the AC. The next night was OK. The AC worked, and the room had been cleaned (although they missed many of the squashed mosquitoes). Overall, the second night was acceptable, but I will not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank JT55
Richmond,KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2008

we spent 2 nights at this hotel. La Quinta is near a busy interstate .It is close to the famous Mall, shopping center & shops etc...and in a busy & noisy locality.
People at the desk were not so friendly but OK..
The room was clean but bathroom was small.
Breakfast was great & offered many items which were really good. but one morning there was no hot coffee or hot beverages.

Officially there is no Free hotel shuttle if one wants to go to the air port ( HRL) before 7am. We had to pay $20/-taxi fare from the hotel to the air port which is only 5.9miles .
Travelers who want to visit South Padre Island,TX also have to Pay $ 76/- from Harlingen airport to the island for the taxi. Travelling by air port shuttle is much cheaper but one has to book it in advance.

It was a good stay over all.

• Liked — Clean & comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Small bath room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family