“Probably better to make it to Houston or Brenham?”

Summit Inn & Suites
Summit Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hempstead
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I never know what to expect at a Super 8, and considering any other choices in Hempstead, it was likely the only practical one? Houston is expensive, so if you're coming from Brenham's direction and it's getting later, I'd probably stop there next time. This hotel was filthy and more! Bugs everywhere, hair in the bathroom, the door's deadbolt didn't lock and looked like it had been jimmy'd open before with a crowbar or something. Mind you, I wasn't expecting much, it was getting late and Houston was booked everywhere because it was OTC week, but the place really was shotty. If I would have known, I would stopped somewhere else before reaching Hempstead. It didn't boad well, that just down the road, the only other name brand motel, had police cars lit up all around it. Like I said, if it's not too late and you're not too tired, make it further down the road to somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 66er

Reviewed 2 April 2009

Couple clients and I went to Hempstead on a business trip late march. We stayed for 4 days and Sam the hotel owner treated us great. The rooms had been newly remodled and they were extra clean. For the price, cleanliness, service, and new room conditions, this is the only hotel i would recommend to business travelers and my family members. Thanks for a great stay, we will definitly be back every month.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Made a last minute decision to pull into this hotel after a long trip rather than driving too long into the night. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Rooms were clean. Price was very reasonable, especially with such a short notice stay. I have been to hotels where there is a premium charged for a same day reservation. Didn't have much time to see the rest of the hotel, i.e. pool, since we left early the next morning. Check in and check out were very smooth and hassle free.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank texastraveler31
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I made a last minute decision to stay in a hotel after a football game in College Station, but with Ike evacuees and full hotels in College Station for the game, I ended up getting a room all the way down in Hempstead. Here are my observations on this particular hotel:

1. The hotel apparently called my home twice before calling me on my cell phone on the night I was going to check in. Apparently I was the “last reservation” of the day, and they just wanted to make sure that I was still going to be staying at this hotel that night. I’ve traveled several times over the last few years, have stayed in several different hotels (this was my first at a Super 8 though), but have not had anybody call to make sure that I was still going to show up.

2. I arrived after 10 PM, and they apparently lock the front door to the lobby at that time. There was someone behind the desk, but there was a sign that said to ring a door bell or call a certain number to reach someone after hours.

3. I’m used to hotels charging my credit card on the day I leave, but this hotel charges the room and gives you your receipt when you check in. I’m not sure if that is true for all Super 8’s or just this one. This basically means you don’t have to check out…just leave your key in the room when you leave.

4. The room was nice with a refrigerator. The bathroom and bed were clean. I only had a few issues with the room: the AC unit seemed to have issues throughout the night that woke me up a couple of times. It sounded like a sputtering engine trying to start before it would finally start. While some people might complain that their room doesn’t have hot water, mine had plenty of hot water…and no cold water! So I had to take a very hot bath and brush my teeth with very hot water.

Except for the AC and the no cold water issues, my stay at this hotel was fine. It was cheap, had clean beds, and provided for a place to let me sleep and clean up before finally heading home. There’s not too much more you can ask for from a budget place like this.

• Check-in / front desk
2  Thank bigdog97
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We stayed here with a group of teenagers traveling for drama competition. The price was low, and I feel like we got a great deal for the price. The rooms show some wear, but they were immaculately clean. Front desk was very helpful--including untwisting a messed up reservation while a bus load of teenagers waited. The pool was small but clean. The only negative was the "breakfast" which consisted of a few pastries. We went somewhere else for breakfast. Overall, this was the type of motel you expect for a low price. However, it was very clean and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SandyLiberty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hempstead
2 mi away
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 3 in Hempstead
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waller
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Waller/Houston
Hempstead Country Inn & Suites

Been to Summit Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!