“Time to grow up”

Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Cantina Texas is the newest eatery from the Castillo Family, famously known for Waco's favorite Tex-Mex restaurant - La Fiesta. We have a large outdoor patio, often featuring live music from Texas bands, or join us for Karaoke on Tuesdays. Our patio is also perfect for enjoying a weekend brunch with $1 mimosas. Or if you prefer, catch a game on one of our giant TVs. Make sure you stop by during happy on weekdays, when appetizers are half off. Start your Cantina Texas experience with Smokey Pesto Deviled Eggs, an order of Citrus and Oregano Wings, Chunky Queso or a plate full of Texas Gulf Coast Peel & Eat Shrimp. Next, enjoy our soup of the day, a Roasted Turkey Breast Sandwich enriched with Cranberry Mayo and Stuffing, Buffalo Burger, Burrito or Stockyard Filet of Sirloin, and finishing with our Fredricksburg Peach Cobbler. These dishes are only a small sampling of our menu filled with fresh ingredients grown in Texas, served by a dedicated wait staff.
Waco, Texas
“Time to grow up”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

At some point I am hoping that the ownership recognizes the problem before this location closes. It is a great location, awesome decor, imaginative menu, delicious food, and staffed well. But the service is terrible. At one point I could count 9 service staff standing around flirting with each other with their thumbs up their posterior's. But I don't blame them. If ownership does not manage expectations this will never change. Although I have found this same situation each time I have eaten here and hoped for something different, each time the service is a disappointment, and this time I'm writing about it. I want your restaurant to succeed. Your better than this. And instead of writing reviewers back with your plans to review the issues, just simply teach your wait staff the basics of restaurant customer service.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Dad_Son_Review
Sam C, Owner at Cantina Texas, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
First and foremost, I want our guests not only to be impressed by the food but also the service, and I can assure you that I don't take feedback like this lightly. While try as we might, change does not happen overnight, but we're working day after day to improve. We want every single customer to feel well taken care of from the moment they walk through our doors to the last bite of their dessert. I hear you loud and clear and please know that we're taking your concerns to heart.

Lastly, I hope you can give us another chance so that we can show you what we're capable of.

All the best,

Hewitt, Texas
“Food is ok but nice outdoor area”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Food wasn't amazing, service was pretty good, nice bar and outdoor area. Menu has lots on it and if you like oysters and New Orleans style food there's a desperate menu just for that.

• Visited May 2014
Sam C, Owner at Cantina Texas, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thanks for the feedback, and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. I know next time we can perfect it and add that final star, so I hope you plan to come in again very soon. Thanks again!

Lynsey, Owner & Manager
“Sad but very bad all the way around.”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We went there for a wedding rehearsal dinner with a party of 20. First they were 15 mins late seating us when the reservation was made weeks in advance. It took over 15 mins to get the drink order. Then over 20 more minutes to order. Could not get drink or chips and salsa refills without shouting to our server, and I say our server because they only had one person working the room when it easily required 2. Next it took 30 minutes to receive the beginning of our food order. It took over 15 minutes to bring it all out because again we had one server. Two people had to wait an additional 10 minutes to get their order because it was taken to the wrong table according to the server. Several orders were wrong and cold. Some liked their food but many thought it was tasteless and cold. Almost forgot, they gave us paper photocopied menus, 7 of them for 20 people so we had to share. Felt bad for our server because he was set up for failure. Have to put this one on management or lack thereof. One of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had. Will never go back to eat, even if it's free

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank atchrum20
Sam C, Owner at Cantina Texas, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I agree that it sounds like more help was required for your party, and I'll absolutely look into why that wasn't handled. I truly wish you'd rethink your decision never to return, as I know we could show you a great time and deliver something much closer to a five-star experience. You can rest assured that I'll discuss this with the staff, and I truly hope we get another chance to impress you.

Valley Mills, Texas
“Excellent brunch”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We came for our first brunch this morning. Our service was excellent and fast! Migas were very good. Really, you've got to try them. Biscuits and gravy with eggs were excellent as well. Well spent Sunday morning

• Visited February 2014
Sam C, Owner at Cantina Texas, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thanks for starting off your Sunday with us! I'm so happy to hear that your brunch was delicious and that the service was great. Please visit again soon for more brunch, lunch, dinner, or a drink -- we'll happily welcome you any time!

Waco, Texas
“HORRIBLE service”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Tonight I had the WORST dining experience of my life. I went with a group of 10 to have dinner on a Friday night here. The waitress, Caitlyn, was clearly unable to handle it whatsoever. We sat for 40 minutes before our food order was ever taken. It took her three rounds to get drink orders...when all parties were sitting and waiting to order. Some of our party had to go order directly at the bar because she took too long. When she finally did take food orders she was erratic and mumbling to herself. Ultimately she skipped one person who had to GET UP TWICE trying to find the waitress (who had run away) and finally ordered with the hostess. She got the orders wrong, did not know what the order was (She handed a friend a plate of nachos and said they were quesadillas. When asked what the plate was she said uh, nachos maybe?) We asked for queso which took about an hour to get... and the queso is free. And it got progressively worse from there. When she finally was going to bring the checks it turned out (surprise, surprise) she had things on the tab that no one order, added gratuity twice to some checks and then ran their credit card twice, and it took everyone about thirty to forty minutes JUST TO PAY. We asked for the manager, who promptly gave us attitude, and brought in another waiter to help. Trying to get my attention to take my card and this waiter GRABBED MY ARM. I also had to explain to the waitress three times that the drink I had was paid for at the bar. When I told her that I had already explained this to her she got an attitude and said "I am just as stressed as you are!" when I replied "I am the customer so I should NOT be stressed" she threw my check at me and stormed away. We didn't get a single apology from management. The restaurant was also EMPTY when this as all going on so it wasn't like they were all overwhelmed at the time. Also, we had to stand in the foyer, my entire party of ten, waiting for the manager to run our cards so we could leave. Still not a single apology. The waitress refused to look at us and sulked the whole time. We were still charged gratuity.

Go here if you want the ABSOLUTE WORST service. Not only poor, inattentive service but a complete LACK of service with an attitude. I don't pay $30 for a dinner so that I can wait for hours and get back talk from a waitress who never took my drink order, never took my food order, and didn't even bring me my food.

The management is just as disgusting. I can't believe this even happened.

Go here at your own risk. Cantina ruined our night.

• Visited September 2013