“Baby Shower Disaster”

Add it.
The Mix Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$11
Cuisines: American
Description: Fast Casual just grilled local ownership in the heart of Baylor University at 5th and Bagby. Open 7 days per week with online ordering available with our free app online. Chicken Martina is #1, or try a stuffed avocado, Dr. Pepper pulled pork, or our own tomato basil soup.
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Had a baby shower thrown for me at this location, the owner called 6 days before the shower to inform us that they had over booked our room! When we originally booked no one was set to have this room all day we called back to confirm time and date before we ordered invitations and they said yes everything was still good to go. Needless to say they ended up sticking us in a small corner in the main restaurant that was way too small for my guest to move around we were all stepping on each other and it was very hot and uncomfortable. The owner was not very understanding and very very rude. I feel since we were the first party booked we should not of had to be moved but she felt differently. I will never ever go back and do not recommend this place to anyone they are not friendly and have no clue about customer service.

10  Thank Sharlene D

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Just left the Mix and had to share what an amazing dinner we had. The atmosphere was so relaxing, and the service outstanding! We enjoyed being able to bring our own wine and found the menu diverse with entrees thoughtfully chosen. My husband had the schnitzel which was the best he's had and I had the breaded lime chicken which was delicious. The sides and salads were equally as good! Oh I almost forgot the rolls and garlic butter.....wonderful!! We don't normally have desert but couldn't resist. We weren't disappointed. The strawberry cake was divine! We can't wait to go back and highly recommend the Mix....loved everything about it!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We had a Christmas party for 21 people this week at The Mix. We were given a large private room, tables set in a U shape, as we had requested, and 2 friendly waitresses that were constantly available to refil tea glasses and offer menu suggestions, including a selection of beautiful and delicious desserts. The coconut cake was the best I've had in years! But the piece was so large I had to save some of it to eat later. The dinner menu features fish, chicken, salads, and uniquely cooked vegetables. Lunch offerings include quiche and chicken salad. The front of the restaurant has a gift shop and a bakery. Whether you just want a cupcake and a cup of coffee, a unique setting for a romantic dinner, or a large party, The Mix is a good choice.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

What a darling cafe in Waco. Our family was headed out of town and we stopped to see the store upon a recommmendation. Not only did I get a darling jacket, but my family had gourmet desserts that were delicious!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The chicken salad and chicken martina sandwiches, as well as the almond cake, are excellent. The shop/cafe is eclectic and cute. Those are the only positives I can report.

My daughter and I went in for lunch because we were looking for a party room in which to hold a baby shower. I spoke with the owner and she sent one of her staff to help us with the party planning. We decided on the food and the date and the girl gave us a total, around $350 for 30 people. She told us we could go back to the party rooms and look, so we did. The owner was sitting at a table back there, eating and doing some paperwork. We explained that we were checking out the two party rooms to see which would be best for 30 people. She told a young man to help us and, with his advice, we selected a party room, along with the table set-up (a U shape with chairs only on the outside edges). He said it would be no problem, that we could use the other party room for the refreshment table since there would be no one using the room that day, and, when I asked, that all the linens were included. The owner was sitting right there in the midst of all the discussions with her staff member. When we were leaving she handed us a cash register receipt with all the prices itemized for the party. The total was $460. When I asked about the price discrepancy, she said the original staff member hadn't gotten it right. I asked if this was the total amount I would owe for the party and the owner said it was.

I called the week before the party date to let them know that only 20 guests were coming instead of the original 30, and to get a revised total. The chef called me back with a figure of $441. I asked if that was correct since 1/3 of the original guests would not be there and the original price was $460. He said he was going by the price on the menu but would get with the owner because she may have given me special pricing. He also said it was the total cost with an 18% gratuity added in. The owner called me back and said the total cost for 20 people would be $485. I ended up having to cancel some of the food since she had given me an original total price of $460 for 30 guests. The new total she gave me was $340.99, which included the room rental (advertised as free with $300 of food order), the food, and tax. She said she would leave the gratuity up to me.

The day of the party she met us there an hour and a half early so we could decorate, as she suggested. We walked in to find two long tables, with chairs all around them parallel in the room, the refreshment table on the side of the room, and the other party room (which was supposed to have the refreshment table in it) crammed with tables, chairs and junk. Her explaination was that the only thing written down were two long tables. When I told her about the young man that helped us plan all the seating and refreshment arrangements, she said "Well, he was just a waiter." We finally got the tables set up in a compromise arrangement that worked for the guests that did come, but if we had expected the original 30 guests, they would not have fit into the room. Also, the owner had previously told us that she would take down a large clock that would interfere with the decorations. The clock was still on the wall.

The shower started late because of all this, and we could not put out all the decorations we had bought. We did manage to make it look quite nice, with floral boquets and candles in crystal. I had also brought crystal for the refreshment table (punch bowl, nuts, etc.) The owner came in and took photos of everything after my daughter and I worked like mad to make everything beautiful. I presume she wants to use them for the website. The food was buffet style and we all served ourselves. We saw no one associated with the cafe from the time the party started until the end.

Afterwards, I went to pay (since they would not let me pre-pay) and was given yet another price, of $357, with no explaination. I gave a "gratuity" of 4%, since we had no waitstaff and the room was not as promised, until the owner complained that the guy she had brought in had to be there from 11 til 2 and that wasn't very much for him. (She left during the party and he sat around bored at the cash register.) The crowning of this debacle was when she graciously told me that she hadn't charged me a linen fee or for bringing in my own refreshments!! I told her I had been specifically told the linens were included and that nobody had ever said anything about a fee for bringing in punch and nuts!! I told her that there had been a lot of communuication errors and she blamed it all on the "summer help".

The upshot? Go for lunch and have the chicken salad or martina sandwich, but never plan a party there.

4  Thank WacoLady