“OK for business but I wouldnt pay for it with my own money”

Disney's Sequoia Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coupvray
Pulborough, United Kingdom
“OK for business but I wouldnt pay for it with my own money”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I got to stay at the hotel for 2 nights whilst attending a business conference, I had investigated the option of bringing my family over for a further 2 nights but didn't due to cost (Over £700 for 4 people for 2 nights), I was very glad I didnt.

Pro's: Free (reasonably quick) WiFi, clean room, reasonable facilities, close to park & conference facilities
Con's: No kettle, no hot breakfast, absurdly expensive for a dated 3* hotel

Conclusion: I would stay at again but not if I was paying for it myself

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank RB118822

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Arrived on the 15th june queued for 1 1/2 hours for check in, queued again for dinner (we had a reservation) queued again for breakfast even though we had 7.45am slot which was not busy, staff never smile and were very sullen. As we had vouchers for our dinner (lucky thing we did) we dined in the New York hotel next door and were greeted with smiles no queues and fantastic food, also dined in the Steakhouse (absolutely fantastic service and food, no queues) and Cafe Mickey. Have to say that on the last morning there we did not even get breakfast (or cup of coffee even though I did ask as we had a long journey) as the queue was sooo bad at 7.30am I never experienced anything like we did at the Sequoia with bad manners, food and service and queues, as I said if you go to Mcdonalds and there is a queue at least you get a smile when you are served.

Room Tip: We stayed in Yosehie ?? and it was beside the pool and there is a path that leads to the park,
2 Thank 314Carmel
scotland
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I loved the sequoia lodge, we stayed in a lakeside Montana room and it was very spacious, clean and comfy I liked that the tv popped up with my name on it and that's as it was my sons bday while we were there they had left chocolate coins and a little note to say happy birthday. Breakfast was busy but seated quickly and was simple enough to get what we wanted. I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Get a room close to reception we had a bit a bit of a trek
2 Thank bubsybaby
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We had booked into the Golden Forest room on a half board basis. We joined our son, daughter in law and grand kids. We had adjoining rooms on the 6th floor. We also had character breakfasts for four days, afternoon tea daily at the hotel which we mostly missed and complimentary soft drinks up to about 10pm each night which we took twice. We got some fast passes for use in the parks and daily coupons for soft drinks/cakes/pastries in the parks. The coupons for park use turned out to be a bit disastrous but that will be the subject of a review of the parks as will my being assaulted by a staff member and security lying to me. Now the hotel: check - in was straightforward, polite and fairly quick, but we did walk away with literally pages of various coupons, not an easy way of holidaying at all. Our rooms were ready about 13.30 which was great. The room was clean and very comfy and superbly maintained throughout our stay. The bed was large, full of pillows, lovely fabrics and good design. Didn't bother with the telly. Upscale coffee machine and great quality teas in room with the usual kettle, ice bucket, mini safe and a mini fridge. Comfy bathroom, lots of towels and a powerful shower. Breakfast was fine but I've paid far less for very much better quality and choice. The breads were very good indeed. The cheese selection was lousy. The meats were fine but I expected better quality ham. The teas were exceptional quality and coffee from a machine was alright but once again not good enough quality for the price. Getting in to the breakfast room was also different to most hotels. We had to show our credentials daily, in most places you simply confirm a name and a room number yet there wasn't that many other families at breakfast when we were there. We ate in the hunters grill buffet and it was just superb and worth every cent. The beef was particularly exceptional quality and the floating islands with Creme anglaise a classic. I don't intend reciting every food item, as I said superb and if you are in the hotel try it for yourself. The afternoon tea, cakes and coconut macaroons are also exceptional quality and taste, we only did one because we spent maximum time in the parks. The waiting staff here in the afternoons and evenings are ace. The staff for the most part are friendly and helpful but there are a few who are surly and unhelpful not cut out for the hospitality industry. This bad attitude is usually excused by saying that they are French, bit like Basil in Fawlty Towers excusing Manuel because he was from Barcelona. I don't accept this. At the price we pay we require courtesy and proper treatment and it's a failure of senior managers who hide away behind the scenes. The worst part of this place is the pool area. First it was a bit of a walk and not easy to find. When we got there the steam bath was scalding hot and the pool too bloody cold. It was only possible to go to the warm (not hot) jacuzzi through the cold pool. Now we were in the pool 10 minutes when everyone was abruptly tossed out and the pool closed. Someone 'did something' in the pool. I heard two stories - thrown up and poo - I don't know the truth but it was our first, last and brief visit that said I wouldn't return to it. One of the three lifts in the hotel was out of order most of the time we were there but this did not cause too much delay. Finally we enjoyed seeing the faces of our grand kids (and our son/daughter) when the characters appeared during brekky times (and we had different characters daily too) after all that's what brought us here really as all played their part wonderfully. First class. The minder who accompanying the characters was a real gent too. But let's not get too starry eyed as we paid through the nose every step of the way. It isn't cheap. On balance I'd return if the price is right and I can't see it being right in the near future!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Newryone
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I would firstly like to establish that I was staying here for a conference, I was not with children and I was not (really) visiting the park. So many of the complaints that may be forthcoming could be mitigated if you wanted a cheaper hotel to stay in with a family and the focus was solely on Disney.

However, after checking in, stepping through a mountain of bright pink vomit at the lift was not at all pleasant. It also took some time for it to be cleaned up. I am certain that the rooms have not been re-furbished since the park opened in 1992, they were not clean in my opinion and were not at all pleasant.

There was also no information in the rooms as to the location of anything either in the hotel or the park. There were no tea making facilities and not even a minibar (although this may be because of little hands which is more understandable).

The worst thing about the hotel was the smell, it is a really strong damp and musty odour that you do get used to, but is very overpowering when you first arrive. My partner (who was not there) said it was probably just me, but actually a number of the other delegates at our conference commented on it (without any prompting from me).

Breakfast was not of a good quality and was generally absolute chaos.

The staff, when you could find them, were helpful and pleasant.

This is not the place for a conference, although the conference facilities (in the New York hotel) were fine.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura T
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

First time in this hotel, previously stayed in Santa Fe, booked Sequoia this time to be closer to the parks and for a more luxurious feel.

Booked a Montana Room in main building, think we got upgraded on arrival, 12th to 15th June, mum and adult daughter, half board plus which we got as part of the package offer. Room 5174 which overlooks the service yard - but no issues, we only knew about the non-view because we opened and closed the curtains a couple of times!

We arrived by Eurostar 3pm ish on 11th June and spent first night in a cheap apartment in Val D'Europe, which was intended to make the most of our budget. What worked about this is that on arrival day we didn't pay full Disney prices for minimal time in the parks, we had time to settle, potter around the supermarket, explore Disney Village and the lake, have a relaxed evening meal, get an early night to brace for the full-on Disney days, and avoid the Eurostar rush of people going straight to the parks or check-in. What didn't work was lugging suitcases around, and a choice of too cheap apartment (couple of minor issues that weren't worth chasing up for a brief one night stay).

We arrived at the Sequoia around 8.15am on 12th, no queue at check-in. We were dealt with by Xavier who was an absolute delight and made us feel like royalty. He gave us our envelope with all the info and tickets, explained everything very clearly, we left our luggage at the nearby storage service (facing reception it's on your left, just outside the double doors, not immediately obvious if you arrive from the lake-side hotel entrance) and were in the parks by 9am. We took a brief tour of Sequoia reception level (floor 2 in terms of lifts and rooms) to find shop, bar, swimming pool (a lot closer to reception than I expected), lifts, terraces, concierge desk, restaurants, entrances etc. For such a large hotel, it was great to see all the main facilities so close together.

We returned from the parks to collect our room key around 2.30pm. Huge queue for reception, which we think was Eurostar arrivals, but just 2 people in front of us at the separate desk to collect keys, which took only minutes. We were given a room on 1st floor, which is one down from reception, level with the restaurants and lake side hotel entrance. We got in the room and realised we'd been given a room with one large double bed and cot - we'd booked a room with 2 double beds. A quick trip back to reception and we were quickly and politely given 5174. Very happy with this room - it had a nespresso machine, kettle, tea/coffee supplies, ice bucket and proper glasses, proper mugs and spoons. I think this may have been an upgrade, we didn't notice any of this in the level 1 room. Air con is standard, was easy to use, pretty quiet and certainly unobtrusive.

Lifts were fast and frequent, never saw a queue. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of continental choice for us. Would imagine it might get repetitive if staying for more than 3 or 4 days but we were happy - real fresh fruit, decent coffee, plenty of juice, bread, yogurt and cereal choices, all replenished regularly and kept looking tidy. Staff were helpful, delightful and we never felt lost, always felt we could ask for help (although we didn't need it!). We were at breakfast between 7.15am and 8am every day and although busy it never felt crowded, and we had breakfast in both restaurant rooms and it was identical (Hunters Grill and Beaver Creek).

The hotel was packed (had been showing fully booked on the website for weeks) and there was clearly a convention there as well as the usual June crowds, but we didn't feel any adverse effects of this. The only thing we noticed was Reception being busy at around 2.30pm and around 11pm every day.

We ate in the Hunters Grill (the buffet) one night and loved it. We'd reserved and were shown immediately to a table, possibly you'd have to wait if no reservation because it was busy. (Comfortable though, no delays in service etc). The buffet selection was more than plentiful, kept replenished, fish, salad, and charcuterie starters, range of meat, veggie and fish hot dishes which were all lovely, and a range of desserts. The advertised price was 31 euros without a drink and 35 with. We also had a half bottle of wine at 12 euros. Comparing to a meal in a UK restaurant I thought it was good value, and the amazing service and lovely setting made it a really great experience.

Used the hotel pool twice, both times mid/late afternoon, lovely and not overly busy. Jacuzzi excellent for refreshing tired legs and as no small children are allowed in there it was a very grown-up luxury! You don't need to take towels, and lockers are available for 1 euro coin. We were there in hot weather and numbers of families were gathered in the outside area of the pool so that was a bit crowded, but we just stayed inside. There's a viewing area if you need to accompany/watch children but don't want to go in yourself.

We used the redwood bar after park closing for some over-indulgent cocktails - expensive but we loved this nightly winding down from our long park days. The nearby second floor terraces/balcony with lake/Disney Village view were the perfect spot to cool down with our cocktails on the hot evenings, although we found this area a very hot sun trap in the afternoons. Perfect if you're there for sunbathing though!

Used the hotel shop for essentials - milk for morning tea, bottles of drink - and it was fine. Preferred souvenir shopping in the parks/village but it was useful to have the hotel shop available. I think the latest we stayed up was 1am and everything was still open - the bar, shop, reception desk. Concierge desk opens at 7.30am, which we found out on departure day when we went to book Disney Express luggage service. This just means that you leave your suitcase in your room on departure day, with a label they issue, and it turns up at a facility in the station right next to Eurostar check-in. Cost is 11 euros per room and it was very much worth it. We were shattered by the end of our trip and this service was really appreciated. I'd been nervous of booking it in case of queues/problems but there were none.

Didn't use room service, but the daily chambermaid/cleaning was really good. We were rushing out in the mornings and if I'd had time to think about it would have been embarrassed at the unmade beds and abandoned towels! But each day we returned to a beautifully tidied room, everything replenished (including tea/coffee) and order restored. The room safe was easy to use with clear instructions, plenty of hanging, drawer and storage space, bathroom perfectly fine and shower amazing. Firm beds and mixture of soft/firm pillows. We slept really well, although with 8am to 11pm park opening and just a brief rest/swim in the afternoons, we would probably have slept well in the car park!

I'd stay at the Sequoia again in a heartbeat, really enjoyed it. There are things to be aware of - if you're a large person the room towels are going to be too small, the hotel does have busy times and if you can't avoid them you may queue a little, there are lots of children around so if you're not used to that be prepared! On the whole though, would definitely recommend it.

11 Thank Helen R
Thatcham, England
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We returned yesterday from a 5 day/4 night stay at Sequoia 11th-15th June 2014, having taken the Eurostar to Disney we were offered the Disney Express service to take your bags direct to the hotel for you. However upon arrival the queue for this service was so long we decided to walk it across ourselves and check in. We had 2 pushchairs and 2 large suitcases but easily navigated out of the station and through the bag check at the Disney gates. If you go through and head right through the Disney Village then it only takes about 10 mins to walk through the shops/restaurants and round the lake to the hotel. The hotel is set in really quiet woodland and the whole hotel complex feels relaxed and spacious. We were told we couldn't check in until 4 on the train however when we arrived at 2.45pm we found a small queue of only 2-3 families ahead of us at reception and only waited a couple of minutes. I was a little disappointed to find we were in one of the lodges as previous reviews had not been good for this room location, however we were in room 205 in Yosemite lodge and it really worked to our advantage. The lodge was over the pathway from the swimming pool/gym building which we used everyday to refresh ourselves. The room was very quiet, we only heard noise from our neighbours one evening.
The room had two small double beds and a travel cot that we requested. This was set up with 2 sheets and a blanket but these didn't stay on the cot mattress at all once our little one was asleep!
Our 3 year old sleeps with a bed guard at home and I emailed the hotel before we went to ask for one which I was told would be in the room when we got there but wasn't, we had decided though that one of us would share the bed with her so we just pushed it right up against the wall and I slept the other side which didn't cause any issues at all.
The bathroom had a full size bath with shower overhead and it was a really good shower pressure. There was one little bottle of shower gel in the room but we didn't use this so I don't know if it would gave been replaced. The sink is outside of the bathroom with a couple of soaps and 2 small hand towels. There were 4 bath towels in the bathroom but they weren't very big but were replaced each day if left on the floor. There was a hair dryer on the wall but I didn't use this. Opposite the sink was a luggage storage with safe that we kept all our belongings in and a small hanging rail. The room itself had a tv and desk with water glasses and a nice bucket but like other reviews say there was no fridge or coffee making facilities. This didn't bother us as we were hardly in the room. Overall I would say the room was fine, good clean decoration, slightly dark but we were ground floor and there was only one window, I noticed that the higher floors had more windows per room, also the window only opens slightly so it gets quite stuffy in there. We had weather in the mid to high 20's and found the room to be fairly cool and the air conditioning only went down to 18.5 degrees so wasn't that good at cooling the room down.
We used the pool every day and it was cold but actually in the hot weather that was good. You get towels there so don't need to take the room ones and they also have arm bands and floats for the children. The door was open so you could go outside in the pool which was a little warmer!
Breakfast- we chose the 7am slot for our stay but actually found that we could godown later and nobody ever said anything. There was a large selection of yogurts, cheese, meat, rolls, croissants, toast, cereal, fruit, hot drinks, orange/apple/pineapple juices and we did take few rolls with us for snacks later in the day. We didn't queue any day for breakfast and some days when we left the breakfast room at 8am there still wasn't a queue.
We went up a couple of days to see who the meet and greet characters were but we didn't stay as our girls didn't want to see them, this was located near reception and the shop and would save time meeting them in the park as there were always long queues there.
As the hotel is so close to the parks we didn't use the buses at all and it's such a pleasant walk that I don't think you would need too. We found a short cut which was the path on the right after the swimming pool if you are facing the main hotel, this took you round the front of the hotel onto the path to the lake so meant we avoided the really small lift in reception down to the breakfast/park level, and also it meant you were closer to the parks when you started walking!!. We used the disney magic hours which meant the main park (not the Studios park) opened at 8am daily for 2 hours before the general public could go in, however this wasn't really worth it as only Fantasy Land and Discoveryland were open and only a couple of rides in each. There were no coffee shops open so you just had to wander round with nothing to do as the ride queues were very small at this time and we did most rides within 45 minutes!

Overall we had a lovely stay, the staff were all friendly and the location could not have been better, our 2 little ones were a bit too small so we found it hard work with them but we would definitely use this hotel again if we came. I would say though that having done Orlando several times this doesn't compare at all and even though it's disney, the magic isn't there!!,

Room Tip: Room 205 in Yosemite Lodge is close to the swimming pool and even though it's further than the m...
1 Thank ccicchetti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coupvray
Disneyland Hotel
Disney's Hotel Cheyenne
Disney's Hotel Cheyenne
#11 of 52 in Marne-la-Vallee
Residence Du Parc Val d'Europe

Been to Disney's Sequoia Lodge? Share your experiences!