“A chimpanzee oasis on Lake Victoria”

Ngamba Island Tented Camp
Surfside, Florida
“A chimpanzee oasis on Lake Victoria”
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I simply don't know where to begin - as this was truly the highlight of my trip in Uganda. I spoke with my Uganda based tour operator Nature Track www.naturetrack-expeditions.com and said I was passionate about chimpanzess. Careful for what you wish for... my excellent driver and guide Tom, dropped me at the launch site for a 45 minute boat ride across Lake Victoria to Ngamba Island. I was greeted like a VIP and escorted to my self contained - eco friendly tent. It overlooked a little stream - filled with birds of all kinds. I selected both the caretaker and integration programmes - worth every single penny! The day began with watching the 44 resident chimps being fed, followed by me preparing their food and porridge and then walking the forest in the morning with Barron on my back! Two days is a must - to get to know the staff, the chimps and to enjoy the homemade food. Had I known what kind of joy this visit would have been - I would have stayed one week! This you can not miss!

Room Tip: All tents are beautiful!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Lesli V

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This was the last part of our trip and we couldn´t have hoped for a better end of the holiday. Ngamba island is just a little piece of heaven in lake victoria.
After arrival and check in we loved walking around and taking photo´s of the hundreds of waever birds, storks, monitor lizards etc.

The tents are just excelent and the staff of the tents (wild frontiers) as well the staff of the chimpansee sanctuary is great. The food is also very good and tasty. The tents are also very good maintained.

We loved the chimp walk in the forest where we took seven chimps out and played with them. A absolute higlite of our trip. Severel chimps jumped on our back and let us walk them into the forest. If you visit Ngamba island it is better to stay overnight. You can enjoy the feeding more then once and the experience of close contact with the chimps is a "must" do experience. If you will visit the Ngamba island as a day visitor you will just arrive by boat, look for the feeding and return back to mainland again and you will not have the best experience with chimps ever. Just do it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chantalremi
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Although the hotel is another "business" than the chimpanzee sanctuary, it is intimately linked, and that makes it so special.
We stayed two full days with the caretaker programme activities, forest walk and feeding of over 30 chimpansees, each with its particular habits and reactions.
The tens were spacious and warm shower water-to-order was promt and plentyful.
Behind the tents a compost toilet, but for midnight needs is a chemical toilet inside the tent. Double screens were effective against the many minifies, but both swallows and bats around the lodges tried to keep these flies down. PV light was good.
From our tent balcony we had at our feet a small lake section with weaverbirds in acacia trees, several water birds, reeds, fish and monitor lizards.
The restaurant service and food was excellent (early morning tea) en we enjoyed the place with only two other guests.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Penguins Hotel
#18 of 30 in Entebbe
LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel Entebbe
Ngamba Island Chimpanzee Sanctuary

Been to Ngamba Island Tented Camp? Share your experiences!