“Plunged the Toilet with a Stick”
Review of America's Inn

America's Inn
Ranked #354 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I can honestly say this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in--and I grew up taking divey roadtrips across the country on a tight budget.

I booked this hotel using the priceline service where you don't get to know your hotel in advance. In the past this has worked out very well for me, but this is a huge and notable exception. At the time my boyfriend and I were living in Texas a few hours South of this hotel and we had a friend coming to visit Houston who wanted to book a hotel on the cheap... we turned down the Marriot for $65 in favor of this hell hole for $50. Huge mistake.

The night staff at this hotel is fairly friendly, but the day staff is rude.

After we checked in the three of us made our way to the parking lot; it is unsafe and can be accessed easily..we noticed a lot of people just standing around in the parking lot near the vehicles. Our room was on the second floor which was nice, but the stairs were inconveniently located by rooms where the smell of pot and cigarettes made it hard to breathe just walking by. Let alone the fact that we heard aggressive fighting coming from these rooms as well as the ground being littered with empty alcohol bottles outside. Once in the room, nothing improved. The sheets and furniture look like they have never been washed. I slept in a hoodie every night to avoid making direct contact with any of the bedding. The shower was falling apart and disgusting and likewise with the toilet. The first night of our stay my boyfriend clogged the toilet (not a hard feat) and had to do the walk of shame to the front office to get a plunger....EXCEPT....the maintenance staff goes home early in the day and locks their closet. There was no access to a plunger until the next morning!!! And we were told we couldn't use our toilet the entire night. Because we all needed to, we found a fallen tree limb in the parking lot and used it for the job. Less than desirable and completely disgusting.

Finally!! We were so eager to check out that my boyfriend forgot his duffle bag in the room (something we didn't notice until we had made it back home.) When I called the hotel they said they would hold it for the day, but after that they were confiscating and throwing it out. ONE DAY! Luckily we had a friend still in the area that could swing by and grab it for us. But why would you only give people one day to retrieve their small piece of luggage?

We were stuck in that hotel for four days. Unimaginably bad. Better off staying in your car. Spring the extra money, I wish I had!

Room Tip: Higher levels are less likely to be broken into.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Go cheap, she said. Oy vey, and we did. This hotel is next to a "gentleman's club," and is sandwiched in the middle of the ramps of the huge cloverleaf that is highway 59 and tollway 8. Noise. Even when the room faced away. The primer and undercoat showing on every door of the NW side, as well as the welcoming present of a pile of vomit on the second floor balcony greeted us. The room stank. The bathroom door had extensive dog bite/scratch damage, the desk lamp shocked me when turning it on, the wafer-thin soap and towels and sample-size shampoo...the "breakfast" consisting of two cereals and skim milk, watered down OJ, and a muffin or toast. The drug dealers and thugs doing their business openly in the parking lot. All of this for $70, including tax. Never again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jemge
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We needed somewhere to stay at short notice, everywhere was booked up and this was the only place we could find close to where we were that had a room. It is far from a great place to stay, it is old tired and falling apart, but it is very very cheap. So you get what you pay for and for the price I think it is totally fine.

The staff were friendly and helpful, but the room was tired and grubby, not dirty as such, but just tatty and old. If you need somewhere on a budget and you can see past a warn out place then this will do the job for you.

Room Tip: Top floor is smoking, so if you want non-smoking make sure you are on the ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank colinl
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I pay $100 for a room w/jacuzzi,the guy in the front was rude and can't understand a Word he said.the room has a strong cheap sigarete smell,i went to complaint and they din't do nothing about it.no money refound.no more than 2 people in the same room.sign out at 11am

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank fernando2345
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We were there for this past Spring to visit Houston. The hotel is really cheap compared to others. But you do have to rent a car because it is far away from downtown and the airport. You get free breakfast and wireless internet. all the furniture and carpets were old and some were broken. I guess you get what you pad for. If you just want a place to sleep, then you should pick this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

First, the lady at the front counter was so unhelpful. The room smells like old smoke, or like mildew maybe a combination. The pool is dirty and cloudy. People from the highway are rude and it's a congested entrance. Kinda unsafe. Personally I don't even like Houston, and if I'm ever forced to come to Houston again I would not come here again. I would not recommend it to others. There's plenty of other cheap hotels in Houston.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We chose this hotel for convenience- we needed a place near the bowling alley where the youth tournament was held. The bowling alley was in a so-so area so we read the reviews before we decided.

When we first arrived at this location, we were downright scared. To get here, we had to drive through a notorious area in town - much worse than we had realized - and pass a hotel 2 blocks away that apparently is home to many of the local prostitutes because quite a few of them were out in the streets. We seriously considered leaving because of this and also because of the amount of people who appeared to be living in the hotel - never a good sign.

However, the rooms were spotlessly clean and everything was in good repair. The lobby is beautiful and the staff are very pleasant and helpful. The beds are very comfortable - very pleasantly surprised. There are security cameras outside, which made me feel a little better.

The breakfast was just muffins and cereal - nothing worth going downstairs for.

If we were travelling without my kids on a tight budget we would consider staying again. However, because of the neighborhood and the other "guests" we would probably not stay when the kids are with us.

Room Tip: Ask for a second or third floor near the lobby - safer and a better place to park your car.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family