“Losing its appeal through staff attitude”

Comfort Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport
Ranked #230 of 504 Hotels in Houston
London, United Kingdom
“Losing its appeal through staff attitude”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The hotel itself is fine, rooms well laid out, breakfast more than ample, clean spaces, very comfortable bed but sometimes the way you are handles also carries weight and in the last few times i stayed here i noticed some attitude changes in staffing, this trip was no different. Especially on our arrival service was less than stellar. The phone was not answered promptly a few times and finally we were told the driver was at the airport and would be with us right away. So after my three year old suffering almost half an hour of carbon monoxide and smoke inhalation in the smokers area where you are forced to wait for the hotel buses, i called again to be told he will be right there. he was BUT when he saw our 5 cases he simply opened the back door and ignored us to start chatting to a friend behind, i had to load all the bags to the bus and also unload them with no assistance. The front desk clerk looked like she was about to go out to a party with a denim jacket, tattoos on the neck and an attitude to match. She was not really interested in us much at all and could not be bothered to answer any of my questions. When i was rolling our luggage on the upstairs corridor she seemed however very happy on her personal calls which seemed to cheer her up no end! In the morning the young lady was helpful dressed nicely and pointed us in the right direction and ordered a cab for us to the shopping areas. The morning driver (a different one) was also more pleasant and assisted with luggage. Seems like the night staff don't care much and this is the second time i experience this. Also the prices were much higher than in the past. In contrast i visited the brand new Best Western Plus right behind the hotel, the receptionist was very responsive and showed me the new rooms which were lovely and the prices seemed good. I wont say the rooms were better but they were obviously fresh and new and the lobby area was nicely presented. Maybe time for a change, staff DO make a difference in consumers choices, i hope the management look for the right staff with a can do attitude, there are a lot of choices at the airport.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage ask for a ground floor (European) room (called first floor in the USA)
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
Huntsville, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I booked our stay for 1 night via choicehotels. I usually do not have any issues with payment, but I have stayed in Comfort Suites and always have an issue with this brand. On this occassion, I was charged that morning for a 3 pm check-in time. I still supposed to have the option to cancel up until 6 pm on the reservation date. When I called the hotel to inquire about it, the lady on the phone refused to provide her name; tried to over talk me; told me that it is their policy to charge the card. I asked for a manager...told that the problem was not with them, but my bank...the card was a debit card (credit card with option for debit); I would be asked to present card again upon check-in for it to be swiped (double billed). My issue is that this never happens to me with other chains. Depending who you talk to, this is not suppose to happen. Get to hotel into room...for a handicapped room...small; beds not queen as requested; sofa not pull-out as advertised; shower too small for a person with my handicap; pool area shared with other hotel brand; exercise room only had a treadmill and stationary bike in what looks like a closet; no market; and staff seemed to have an attitude. I have given up on the Comfort Suite brand...I'd rather stay at the Motel 6, Rodeway Inn, Econolodge, etc., before staying at this brand again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel chain/brand.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Monterrey, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I was in the need of a hotel due to a flight connection cancelation so I called the distressed passengers hotel booking and they offer 3 hotels. I asked for a hotel close to a convenient store so I could buy something to eat, wear or be able to buy basic needs. The operator told me that this hotel was close to a convenient store. But she never told me it was a gas station store beside a taco bell and it was close to the hotel but not that close to walk by myself at night.
The shuttle from the airport took forever to come and pick me up. When driving to the hotel I realized they were several other hotels closer to the airport and not that expensive. FInally When I arrived to the hotel is a little bit basic, it look a bit old, with those big window a/c that are really noisy. The hotel is beside Double tree and the highway. Is about 3 large blocks to get to the closer Subway and another big block to get to the convenience store of the gas station and the taco bell.
I can tell the front desk personnel from the night shift was not really helpful nor nice. Let´s say they just took my name, give me my key card and answer in short sentence my questions about breakfast, airport shutttle and about a store nearby. The morning personnel was a bit more friendly and helpful.
The room was old fashioned but functional with 2 double beds, It is spacious with a little fridge and microwave and a coffeemaker and a big bathroom.
The good things are they offer Free breakfast with fruit, bagels,and waffles, Free WiFi and complimentary Airport shuttle.
I expected a little bit more but It was Ok.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank nellymty
Wharton, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Only one drawback for me and that was the a/c. Designed to power off once the temp is reached, then it comes back on. So all night it was on off on off. That kept me from sleeping well. When it was on it was fairly loud even on low. The jet plane noise didn't bother me I expected that. I chose this hotel because its proximity to the airport. Close to long term parking.

That being said EVERYTHING else was great! Spacious room, comfortable bed, good wifi, very clean. Liked having a sitting area in the room with a couch. Didn't try the breakfast.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lake Jackson, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

When travelling out of IAH-Bush Intercontinental Airport, we generally stay at this Comfort Suites hotel. We stay because of the location, but mostly because we receive excellent treatment. The staff is always friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Oh & for you business people....Free WIFI!! I have had several different shuttle drivers and they are all very friendly and helpful as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

This hotel is very close to the airport and the highway. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Some downfalls are when my room was cleaned the towels were not replaced and water pressure in the shower was lacking.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Working for the airlines I needed a place with daily shuttle service to work and close to the airport. This hotel lived up to the promise. Desk staff was okay, not the best but kept me happy.

Great breakfast every morning, clean room, etc. This is the basic comfort suites hotel.

I will stay there again and would recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business