“It's probably the management....”

Hyatt Place Houston Bush Airport
Ranked #87 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersBronze level
“It's probably the management....”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had booked a meeting room and guest room over a month in advance. When I arrived and said I'd like to be shown to my meeting room the staff whispered amongst themselves and finally made some clumsy excuse without ever outright stating that they had lost my reservation. While they were certainly friendly enough, it seems that management oversight and accountability were lacking.

I waited thirty minutes for the airport shuttle to pick me up but the driver was very friendly.

They lost my meeting room reservation but the salesperson was very friendly.

I waited almost twenty minutes for them to put out coffee in the morning but the desk attendant was very friendly.

The hallways and common areas seem dated but the staff was very friendly.

One problem - coffee cups for in-room coffee. They still had residue from previous use. Another issue, a lady's camisole left beside the bed from a prior guest. Kind of a creepy thing to find. But the staff was very friendly. (You get the trend).

I think that this property is in need of updating and that management should be evaluated by corporate. I think their service issues could be remedied with a change in management.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank 39047Traveler
Barbie D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Houston Bush Airport, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear 39047Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I want to reassure you that we are listening. We currently have made some staff changes and other steps necessary to guarentee the needs of the guest are the priority.
We do hope you will stay with us again.

Barbie DeLeeuw, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel by far was the most disgusting, most filthy hotel that I have ever been to in visiting the Hyatt Branded Hotels. The room smelled like mildew, the towels were old and over used.
The breakfast was cold, and very well could have been re-warmed from the previous date. The food itself was not replenished (french toast) for quite awhile, I ended up eating a bagel, yogurt and fruit; I don't know what the staff was doing while the "buffet line" was empty.
On my last day I awoke to cocaroaches racing up and around the wall. I will not be re-visiting this hotel ever.

Room Tip: Pass this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Netza G
Hello Netza G.
I am saddened to hear of your stay with us. We want to deliver a home away from home experience. Your comments today will help us with training purposes.
Thanks again for sharing.
Barbie DeLeeuw, General Manager
Utah
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We are a family of 6 and this looked like a great place. The room was great and fit our family. However, the "free airport shuttle" has limited hours and so if your flight comes in late evening, plan on adding another $25 to the rate as you are forced to take a taxi. I assume the shuttle does not leave in the early AM also. We had a great rate, but adding a taxi fare made it much less competitive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank UtahPoetryQueen
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I arrived at Bush Intercontinental in Houston on June 7 at 10:30 pm. After getting baggage I called the hotel at 10:46 pm. The phone rang and rang and rang. No answer. At 10:48 I called again. A person answered the phone and I told them I was needing transport from the airport. The lady told me the shuttle was out and she would check on it and then put me on hold for ten minutes. At 11 pm. Ginger answered and had just arrived on shift and wondered why I was on hold. She was very nice and said that the shuttle was not at the hotel and that I should look for a purple bush hyatt van and if it isn't there shortly to give them a call back. I waited until 11:25 and called again. At the time the shuttle driver answered and told me that he was already back at the hotel at 10:50 pm (while I was on hold) and that since it was after 11 he was not driving back and that if I wanted to stay there I should take a cab. When asked about how much the cab fare was I was informed it would be $20-$30. I could not believe I was put on hold for ten minutes, during that ten minutes the shuttle driver was in the hotel with no interest in getting a reserved guest. I guess being a Hyatt Gold Passport holder does not matter to this establishment, nor does the term quality customer service. I then told the shuttle driver I could not believe that corporate Hyatt would agree with his treatment of this situation. He then informed me that it didn't matter and that if I wanted to stay there then to get a cab. At that point I decided I didn't need to stay there nor would I continue my relationship with Hyatt. I booked this hotel through Hotels.com and informed them of the issue immediately and they set me up with a great room at the North Houston Marriott whose shuttle picked me up within minutes for a lower rate than the Hyatt and without a $20-$30 cab fee. I tipped the Marriott driver very very well. Do not stay at this Hyatt hotel. The Marriott had a great staff that truly wanted my business even though I was not part of the Marriott frequent traveler program. Needless to say I am joining their program and discontinuing my relationship with Hyatt. Hyatt corporate really needs to audit this hotel and it's customer service training staff.

Room Tip: Go to North Houston Marriott instead.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank jdshro
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

What can I said... Room was #107, what a terrible thing, Hyatt website said how room should be... Well maybe they should reed what the offer.
We arrived late, room was ugly, bathroom, carpets, beds, blankets... Absolutely nothing in this room has any hotel standard and Hyatt just the name... Blankets looks used, holes, I can't describe... But I do have photos.., I do recommend to the manager to walk around the rooms and see what is inside, because your are going to loose customers.
Do not go to this hotel, is unacceptable the way that they have the rooms.
The good thing, Marc, the guy who pick us at the airport,we wait long for the shuttle, but he was very helpful, drive us for food around the hotel and also arrange a courtesy car for our early flight.
But I will never return to a Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2014
Killeen, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

So we stayed at this hotel about 2 weeks ago and I must say that the level of customer service from the employees was lacking. We first checked into a dirty room, then we were moved to another room and after being on the road for 3 hours plus with 4 children, that was beyond exhausting. The rest of the night was just horrible, from trying to order food, to getting sick from it, to one of the night managers verbally attacking me over the phone...down right TERRIBLE. Until I contacted the new hotel General Manager, Luis Sanchez. I had emailed him around 11pm and received an email back from him promptly apologizing for the horrible experience and requesting that I stay around in the morning so that he could speak to me one on one. My children were leaving for Hawaii in the morning so trust me when I say that was not the kind of evening we had hoped for. Mr. Sanchez acknowledged the lack of customer service and his desire to not only improve the hotel but assist the employees so they to could provide everyone with a good and deserving level of customer service. Matter of fact, his entire "morning" staff was delightful to interact with and really very kind to our family. I always stay with Hyatt and this was my first experience in the negative with any of Hyatt hotels. We fly out in July and we plan on staying again at this location as it isn't far from the Bush airport so getting their in the morning is just a quick drive away and is affordable. The room itself was good and clean. Thanks to Mr. Sanchez we will definitely give this hotel a second chance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Matteson, Illinois
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for five nights with my family. I was very pleased with the size of the room. Very spacious and we did not feel cramped at all. The room was neat and clean. There was a slight smell from the cleaning solution used to clean the bathroom but in this day and time, I was rather pleased to know that the bathroom had been disinfected (or at least an effort had been made to do so). The only problem I saw with the room is that a previous guest had spilled a liquid on the front of the sofa and the stains were very visible. Since the furniture is cloth efforts should be made to ensure that the sofa is clean.

I found the breakfast buffet to be adequate. I appreciated the warm breakfast sandwich. The fruit salad was fresh cut up fruit and quite refreshing. The pancakes should be removed from the buffet because they were always cold. The oatmeal was warm not hot. I also agree with another reviewer that many the breakfast sandwiches are not replenished quick enough given the amount of guests waiting to eat. One morning the man in charge of replenishing the food decided that no more food would be replenished 15 minutes before breakfast ended. There were no sandwiches, no oatmeal, no fruit salad and no pancakes. There were people who wanted breakfast and had to settle for cold cereal. I found this to be a real problem.

The morning staff--especially the front desk staff was always pleasant and helpful. I also thought the maintenance man was very nice and always pleasant. A smile and good morning goes a long way.

My transportation on the hotel shuttle from the airport went really well. The shuttle bus was pretty much on time. This hotel does not have airport shuttle service before 6:00a and after 11:00p. Keep this in mind if shuttle service is mandatory for you. A cab to the airport is between $23-$25.

Overall, my stay was good. I would return to this property.

Green Features: They will change the linen every three days unless you request otherwise. Fresh towels were provided daily.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family