“Not bad for the price”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown
Ranked #402 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed here over night, between connecting flights, convenient location close to the airport. We were a family of 4, even though the floor did not appear to be too clean, the beds and the bathroom were, overall ok stay for the price. The man at the check-in counter was very friendly and accomodating, gave us tips when to wake up and catch the shuttle which waited for us at the front door as we were enjoying a great complimentary breakfast. Would stay here again for the price ($50).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 February 2014

A long list. Non smoking room reeked of smoke. refrigerator was full of leftovers, pizza, stale beer and other stuff. TV did not work, No signal. No as in 0 hot water. An ice bag covered the smoke detector, I removed it in case this fire trap went up in flames while I slept. the next morning a truck had parked behind my car and completely blocked it. The manager could not find the owner because they don't take car information from guests. I threatened to set off my car alarm till someone moved. they went to each room to find the owner. They charged me more than quoted -$93.00 for this Hell Hole. I was in no mood to argue once I could get my car out. The only good thing was it was otherwise fairly clean.

Room Tip: We were in one of the best rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BEE A, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you about your car, though it was not from our end, one of our hotel customer was blocked by his car, and he came to FD, and one of our staff member did call all the rooms, and resolved this issue in 5 minutes.

The guest did not complaint about the room, when he was checked in, though our FD Staff always give a courtesy call to all our new check in guests within 10 minutes, just to make sure that our valued guests are comfortable.

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Had to stay after a flight delay. At $60 i wasn't expecting a lot. A motel style inn next to a truck-stop. 10 minute drive to airport and they have a shuttle. Friendly and efficient staff. Had coffee and some fruit ready for my 5am lift to airport. Room was basic, but spacious, neat and clean. Basic, in-room dinner and breakfast menu available and gas station convenience store next door, with traditional greasy fare, if required. Not much else near by.

Pretty quiet, but u might get some truck noise starting around 4am as rigs head out from next door, but not too bad. As a traveller, I'm sure you'll have essential ear plugs. Good and safe for the price!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
BEE A, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Trip Advisor,

This review has nothing to do with our hotel, the customer had stayed some other motel. Therefore, we request you to remove it this wrong review, and acknowledge us as soon
as you.

Bee Ahir, Property Manager

Reviewed 12 January 2014

good service, closest the downtown. the rooms are clean and very comfortable.
great for travel business, but only for sleep, not for dinner, or other mathers.

they have security place for amazon shipping

Thank you for your positive experience of your stay having at out Howard Johnson, Downtown Houston, Texas.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Appearance of the room was nice and sleek. Location very secluded in the area and overlooks the express way. Many empty homes in the area. Servers friendly but no common sense.

Service of the Hotel. I woke up to find that my toilet was clogged for whatever reason. Nothing was visually in the toilet but tissue. Tried to call front desk but the phone did not work to dial out. I walked around to the front and told the front desk. She handed me a plunger????? O-o.
Did you just hand me a plunger after I paid $104 with tax? I took the plunger and tried to fix it with no success. I went back to front desk because the phone was still not working. She handed me another plunger and I let her have it. I informed her that I did not pay to stay and do their plumbing too! This was not good customer service. She then offered another room for us to use instead, but I check out in 3 hours so whatever. Not pleased at all and really grossed out!

• Stayed: January 2014
BEE A, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, we assure you, that we took all corrective majors, and assign a pm service to our valued customers.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I only chose this hotel because I did not want to pay 250 dollars for a downtown hotel room for one night. The location is about 5 miles away from any downtown attractions. We went to the Toyota center to watch an attraction. It was very easy to get to the hotel and back. The location is under construction so there are a bunch of bumps in the road. The room was pretty spacious, with a microwave and fridge. I'll probably stay here again if I can't find anything cheaper the next time. The staff were nice, granted, I never had to speak to them unless to check in or out.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple