“Don't Stay Here!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel 31 Houston Near the Galleria
Ranked #328 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 7 May 2012

My husband had a last-minute business conference in Houston, so we erroneously used Hotwire to book our hotel. We usually stay in upscale hotels, but since we had to book fast, we just decided to go with a good deal. I would never use Hotwire ever again, because they hook you by showing you the rate, but don't even show you what you have booked until you purchase it. I think this is just misleading and had I seen the name or pictures of this place, I would NEVER have booked it.

I figured that staying in the Galleria area was a safe bet, but I found this hotel to be shady and not well kept at all. I suspect that it was an old Holiday Inn that has since been converted, but the owners of this place need to step up their game and do some remodeling! We were there during the week and I swear we only saw one other guest staying there. To be honest, it felt a little creepy and I thought we might be in some horrible horror film. When we went to check out, there was no one at the desk and we waited for what seemed like forever, and finally we just decided to get the hell out of there!

This place needs updating desperately! Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Shannan P

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here for over a week regarding some business meetings.
The employees are very friendly, and the breakfast is incredible. I love when they make you the fried egg while you can stand there and wait for it. Excellent taste and choice of food.
Loved the pool-area. I really missed a fitness room, and cant remember they had any. I didn't work out during my stay here. Liked that it was just a 3 minutes drive from The Galleria.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Booked through Hotwire.com on the company travel card, provided personal card at the front desk for incidentals. No restaurant, no parking charges, but was fraudulently charged the following week. Staff gave me erroneous explanations, would not send copy of bill, refund the charges, follow up on fax or return calls. Filed fraud claim.

Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank TX_Moon
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This was the single worst hotel experience I have had in my life and it continues to follow me nearly a week after checking out.

Three coworkers and I were booked at a local area hotel, but when we arrived there they told us that they had sustained flood damage and would be moving us to Hotel 31. So we went over to Hotel 31, letter in hand saying that our stay was to be charged to the other hotel (which we had already PAID IN FULL for our stay).

First, the actual hotel quality: This was literally the worst hotel that I have stayed at in my entire life. I travel a lot for work, so that is saying something significant. The hotel was nearly abandoned. The front desk was not at all helpful. The rooms were dingy and had a distinct mildew odor. The TVs in the rooms were about 10 years old. The fitness center was pathetic - by the time we checked out, there were no functioning treadmills. They did not even have full-size pillows on the beds. There was literally nothing to redeem this hotel in terms of its amenities. I assume it was a former Holiday Inn (based on the fact that Holiday Inn was printed on my room phone and notepad) that has since gone independent. All that that means is that it was a down-graded Holiday Inn.

Then, the icing on the cake of horribleness: I was charged the full amount for the stay. They were supposed to charge the original hotel - we have the letters to prove it - but they charged us for the full stay. When I called them, they told me that the other hotel had authorized only one night to be charged to them (mind you, even if this was true, they still charged me for every night of my stay) and refused to deal with it from their end. There is literally no amount of money I would pay to stay at this hotel. So I am now forced to go ten rounds with: Hotel 31, the other hotel, and my credit card company in order to remedy this problem. This is the hotel stay from hell that will not end.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Orangegl14
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Me and my colleagues stayed here in May 2011 as we were there for OTC week. The hotel wreaks of a bad odour, rooms in need of modernisation, and the gym is a health hazard! Do not use it under any cost unless you wish to injure yourself.

The Business centre close to the foyer entrance has equipment NONE OF WHICH WORKS and given some of the reports dating back to 2008 clearly little has been done.

I can see why Holiday Inn cut their losses and sold it off as they just do not want to be tarnished by such a terrible hovel!

You have been warned!

Room Tip: Avoid this one have a look at Hotel Derrick 500 yards further down and opposite side of the crossroa...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank shunkergoel
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Not one of the best places to stay in. I suppose if you're just looking for a roof over your head and not fussed by below par living standards.

Breakfast is a mixed bag of nonsense. Rooms are ancient looking and archaic. TVs look like they have been pulled from student halls. Nothing works in the gym, in fact all the equipments are safety hazards, either creaking or broken, don't get me started on the treadmill - almost died!! Ice machine works and the pool works.

I was here for the OTC conference in May and was very disappointed by the general quality. The staff were very nice and plesant however.

I got the wrong bill for my room for the icing on the cake.

Verdict - if you're looking for a bang tidy hotel then avoid but if you're passing through and spending minimal time in the room then why not!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank M7Power
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here on New Years Eve for 2011 so we could go out in the Galleria area and not have to worry about driving. The room was clean, but had a funky smell to it, possibly a previous smoking room. It had no balconies. All of the decor was a little out of date. The price was about $115 plus taxes and fees. I would have much preferred staying somewhere else, but we really didn't stay in the room long. The hotel was also hard to get to. It's on the feeder road of 610 near Richmond ave. I won't stay again unless it carries a price similar to a motel 6.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends