“A Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd - Oh That Smell”

Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria
Ranked #251 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Los Angeles
“A Tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd - Oh That Smell”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well a first for me. I walked into a room and almost immediately walked out.

Not sure why the cleaning staff didn't notice the smell when they were cleaning, but "Can't you smell that smell"? Went right back to the front desk and asked if another room was available. The guy running the desk promptly gave me another room.

The new room was fine. Comfortable bed, decent internet speed, and enough tv channels. Room was clean. A comfortable night's stay.

Just wish the cleaning staff would have done something about the smell in the room, but a prompt fix by the front desk. An "A" for the front desk guy, but a "D" for the cleaning staff.
"

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank bps_traveler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear bps_traveler,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am appreciative of your comment about the clean and comfortable room and that you enjoyed its amenities. However, please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the housekeeping services may have caused you, but I am glad to know that our staff was able to rectify this concern. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 4 June 2014

As first-time visitors to the Houston area, we did not know what to expect. The Candlewood made us feel right at home. We generally prefer a suite rather than a single room, and this one exceeded our expectations. It was Texas-HUGE! Bedroom, bath, living room, kitchenette were all gorgeous, well-appointed and spotlessly clean. Free on-site parking is provided, no small thing in a city like Houston. I can't say enough good things! If we don't stay with family on our next Houston trip, Candlewood will be our go-to place, without a doubt.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NYChrisF
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We were very pleased w our stay. It had been recently redone (except for some repair work in the lobby) and was very nice. The bed was comfortable. The bedding was crisp and fresh. The kitchen had all new appliances, dishes, pots, etc. The refrigerator even had an maker. We loved being close to the Galleria even if it was further away than we first thought. This hotel made traveling w our little dog possible and pleasant. A Pet Smart and a Bark Park nearby made it even better.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzanne h
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for an extended time in a 1br suite.
The room was nice and much better appointed than the Extended Stay competition.
The location is excellent, the rooms facing the parkling lot can be bright and hear more noise from the freeway. Ask for the non-parking lot view for a quieter room.
Staff was friendly and very accomdating.
The honor system pantry was great for a snack and free washer/dryer was a really nice bonus.
I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-parking lot view room for less lights and less freeway traffic noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mikeormichael
Vanessa L, Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your excellent review! We are very happy that we met your expectations and love that you would recommending us! We hope to see you here again soon.
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed at this Hotel from 2 to 12 May 2014 and I found my stay very comfortable and got value for my money. The staff have the key to success in the hospitality business - willingness to help guests. The facilities were clean and modern. the environment was quiet and just a mile to the Galleria. The staff were friendly and color-blind (that is important for me). The Gym was quite good for workout.
I will stay at the hotel again and again PROVIDED my 2014 experience remains constant.

Otunba Abiodun Olufowobi

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PABIEKUN
Thank you very much for your review! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in the area!
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've stayed at this location now 4 times, typically for 2-3 days at a time. I find the location to be fantastic and the accommodations pretty good. The service and experience have been hit and miss. This most recent time I was stuck in a smoking room (full), asked to be changed the next day and the front desk guy promised to switch me and would leave a vmail with my new room #. I came back to learn he didn't do anything. The new person did hook me up with a 2nd floor 2 bedroom that was great. Some of the folks are pleasant and others surely show they wish they weren't there.

Tips: 3rd floor is smoking, they permit animals, they offer free laundry and they have a small self serve kitchen area that's limited but hits the basics.

Pros: quiet, decent bed, outstanding desk and kitchen areas that appear to be remodeled in the past year or 2, fitness room and really good internet.

Cons: the late night check-in can be randomly good or painful, the service personnel are also inconsistent, the water shower pressure and a/c is not impressive.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is smoking. All sides of the building are quiet. Ask about animals in nearby rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ali M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Ali M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We just want to assure you that our Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. We apologize that we fell below your expectations on this particular day.

We hope you decide to give us another chance for a future stay.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Baton Rouge
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I was coming from Louisiana to Houston to visit a friend staying in an hospital and at the last minute our friend was release and needed us to stay with her at her place. We booked this hotel and our rate was not refundable.

As a long shot, I decided to stop by to check if they could do anything about our situation. I came in, said hello to the friendly staff and explained my dilemma.

The Front Desk Supervisor just told me: "That's ok, I'll issue you a refund to your card, hope you come back to visit us!"

Well done Candlewood Houston Galleria, I'll be back..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Vanessa L, Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston by the Galleria, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you very much for your review! We are very happy to hear about the great service Rob provided you on your reservation.

We look forward to your future stays with us!