“Nice Hotel, Cold Pool”

Drury Inn & Suites Houston West Energy Corridor
Ranked #145 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My family stayed at the Drury West Houston for one night. We were traveling home after Thanksgiving and this was the only hotel on our route that accepted pets and had an indoor pool, so we booked it. I called the hotel directly was offered a discounted weekend rate on a suite. The hotel was easy to locate from I-10 and there were several restaurants within close driving distance. Everything was very clean and the room was large. Their slogan is the "extras aren't extra" and that was true. The hot breakfast was good, though very crowded. For us the only drawback was that the indoor pool is NOT HEATED- it was freezing. This was a huge disappointment to my kids as it was just too cold to swim. There is a hot tub but it is small and not appropriate for small children anyway. So if you are looking for a nice place with perks on the west side of Houston, I would recommend this hotel, but don't plan on swimming if it's cold outside.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 March 2008

I've stayed at other Drury Inns, and this one seems just a bit sub-standard compared to the others. Overall, though, I had a pleasant stay.

Positives: I found the staff at the front desk to be friendly and helpful. The room itself (one-bedroom suite) was reasonably priced, spacious, and quiet. The included buffet breakfast was good, and the serving staff were friendly and helpful. The self-service laundry facilities were clean. Location is convenient, even with the road construction nearby.

Negatives: The room smelled musty. In fact, after checking in, I checked on the door to make sure it really was a non-smoking room, because it surely didn't smell like one. (It was non-smoking, according to the sign on the door). This was the major complaint. The carpet in the room also needed cleaning, in my opinion. Basically, I think the room needed repainting and carpet replacement, and it would become a much nicer place.

This hotel needs some updating to be at its' best, in my opinion. The friendly and competent staff and the good breakfast help to make up somewhat for its' shortcomings, but not completely. I would probably try something else in the area next time.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We arrived very early after a looong trip on Amtrak, several hours before check in time and hoped to leave our bags in reception until check in time.

They could see how tired we were, and invited us to have breakfast in the breakfast room, and prepared a room for us as quickly as possible., While we waited we were able to snooze comfortably in the comfy armchairs of the lobby. The wait was just over an hour.

After all of the excessive charges in Phoenix, it was refreshing to have most of the extras for free at the Drury. Being on vacation it was a shame that the internet computer has blocked most of the social networking sites, but I guess the hotel caters more for the business clients.

The staff were very friendly and couldn't be more helpful. The free drinks were great. ;o)

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2008

First, I must say that I did enjoy the perks. The breakfast was hot, with very good biscuits and gravy and waffles. There was also sausage, standard scrambled eggs, and French Toast plus the usual cereals, pastries, bagels, etc. The coffee was drinkable, which is saying a lot for some hotels. The breakfast room was off the lobby and was comfortable and attractive, with a television in the corner and a large plasma screen in the lobby area.

The internet is supposedly only wireless in the lobby, but I was able to use it in my room on the 4th floor close to the lobby.

The sodas are Pepsi brand, and the popcorn was tasty. I never got to enjoy the free evening beverage service, unfortunately, due to plans.

There were a lot of tv channels and the tv worked, which is another perk considering some hotels I've stayed in. There were no ports on the front for a personal dvd player or game system, but our laptop works fine for playing movies for our 4 year old.

The room.. it had some problems. We stayed in a two-room suite. On first glance, the furniture is attractive. But there were some spots on the sofa and chair. The carpet looked clean. I would have thought the room was clean, there was no bad smell, but I had some breathing problems throughout the stay that lead me to believe this non-smoking room had either been extensively smoked in, or absorbed smoke, or had a long history of pet stays. Again, there was no detectible smell, but all of us left with sinus issues and I had to use a rarely needed inhaler.

The crib they provided upon request (which wasn't in my room when I arrived although I had asked for one ahead of time) was old, deep, and had no bumper so it went unused.

The bed was comfortable, if firm. Plenty of pillows, and the bed seemed clean. It was definitely quiet in the room and the curtains block out the sun like in Vegas, so you won't have any problems sleeping in, assuming you like a firm mattress.

The bathroom was not pleasant, although it too was clean. It was sterile white, and the toiletries were substandard (although more in line with the economical rate for the room).

The hair dryer was responsible for two days of bad, frizzy hair. If hair could be dried and styled using noise, it might have been ok. Replace the hair dryers, or just take them out and say you don't provide them.

The pool was clean and lukewarm, if again not visually appealing, and we had to ask for the door to be opened even an hour after opening time. Never saw another soul in the pool.

Overall, it was not a miserable, but not exactly a pleasant stay despite the perks. Perks can make a good hotel great, but they can't make a so-so hotel great, and they definitely can't help you breathe.

Btw, staff was ok. Never had a problem, and the breakfast attendant was even friendly.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I used Sidestep to find the best rate for this hotel and paid $75 per night. Although there is construction in the area, I didn't experience any issues with driving to the hotel or finding parking.

Check-in was quick and efficient. Since this was my first stay at a Drury hotel, the receptionist provided information about the great services offered: free internet, free long distance call for one hour and breakfast. Apparently, I missed the free food and beverages offered earlier in the evening.

Hotel does have a laundry room with one washer and one dryer. Currently, it costs a $1.00 per load. Detergents and softener were available for .75 each. Front desk has change available for the machines.

Room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. Like the rest of the room, the microwave and refrigerator were both clean. Great variety of channels available on the television. A small coffee maker is available in the room. The luggage rack was located in the closet.

Since kids stay free, there were several families staying at the hotel. Fortunately, the rooms are soundproof. Although there was a lot of commotion in the hallways, I couldn't hear any of it while in the room.

For breakfast, as mentioned in the previous reviews, eggs, sausages, cereals, fruit and biscuits with gravy are available. There are two belgian waffle makers available. Since there was a crowd of children surrounding both waffle makers, I didn't feel like waiting to make waffles.

Checkout was just as efficient as the check-in process. Check-in was at 3:00 PM. Checkout was at 11:00 AM.

When visiting Houston, I'll definitely stay again. Great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Stayed here for my second trip to Houston (business) in a month - I had stayed at another hotel last time, and the Drury is much better value all around.

The good:

- Nice decor & atmosphere
- Good sized room (king sized bed with large desk area)
- Complete set of toiletries
- - Good continental breakfast time
- Great location for visiting downtown clients
- Free wired Internet in the room and wireless in the lobby

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank CarolLynn96
Reviewed 31 July 2007

Great clean, quiet room. Loved hot breakfast, free phone and internet. Pet friendly.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple