“Nice hotel and room”

Ranked #224 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Grand Junction, CO
“Nice hotel and room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is a nice hotel. Good amenities, both in room and on property. The room was quiet, except for the ice maker in the fridge. But, that's not a big deal really, since you don't have to deal with ice buckets and tracking down the machine. It is quiet, even though I was just across the hall from the elevator. The wireless internet worked fine, I appreciate that it isn't just wide open to everyone, even with having to enter the code each night. It did seem a bit slow at times, but maybe I'm just used to my high speed.

This was my second trip to Houston, I've stayed here both times. This visit was better than the first. No problems with the room. I couldn't figure out what the thermostat on the wall was for, other than to report the temperature. A/C unit wasn't any louder than any place else I've stayed. My only real issues this time are with the elevator. It is very slow, both to respond to the call and in traveling between floors. And, in the afternoon/evening, once things have warmed up, it has a fairly heavy smell of cigarette smoke.

Nothing earth shattering. It is a nice stay, close to where I work when traveling to Houston. Reasonable value.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Round Rock, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

The rooms were nicely designed and clean and properly equipped for cooking. My point of contention is the HVAC system which is designed to save energy when the room was not occupied. The problem is once you turn all the lights off and go to bed the system deems you are not in the room and turns the A/C off, over my 5 night stay I woke up sweating every night. Not so smart if you ask this sleepless traveler. Also the wall control unit is not access able so you have to use the window unit itself to control the temperature when it allows you to. Another irritant is you either have to use the overhead bedroom light on or no lights on at all, I had to go buy a cheap lamp so I could see my remotes to watch the TV at night.

Green Features: This is great if you don't mind sleeping at night with no A/C in the Houston summer. It is very EF though.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rick H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Rick O,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to write us a review. It’s nice to know that you liked the cleanliness and design of the room as well as the full kitchen. It is regrettable to read that you were not satisfied with the lighting and air conditioning system in the room. We have taken note of your concerns and will take the necessary actions to avoid further inconvenience. We appreciate all your feedback is this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction. We would love for another opportunity in hosting you again.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Loganville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

After a nightmare experience with an extended stay hotel up the street I checked into a room here. After two sleepless nights else where the front desk here was a nice change. The room exceeded my dollar expectations and was nice and quiet. I stayed 2 weeks. I have cons to report but to be honest besides the room being very nice and quiet nothing else makes it stand out to me. Location average, staff average, By average I mean fair service for a fair price.
But I would not shop them if I was in the area, I would return and stay with them again.

Room Tip: I always try for top floor if it is non smoking
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

There were a couple problems with the room, none of which I mentioned to management. The first was torn fabric (pleather?) seat. The next day when I came back, they had switched out the chair! Unheard of that they did this without me reporting it. A refreshing change where housekeeping usually does not notice or report problems, or maintenance does not proactively fix.

The second item was a very rusted air conditioning unit. It was very rusted. But, obviously, that takes more money. It didn't bother me and still seemed to work fine.

The room was very comfortable. I love to two rooms concept and the desks in Candlewood suites are the best layout anywhere, plenty of light and plugs to work on my computer and plug all my phones into.

Windows actually open which I love, and the room was extremely quiet.

Candlewood Suites is a small step below Embassy or Homewood, but I'd always stay here as there is ample parking, staff was friendly and efficient and was a good value.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Richardson, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed here for one night to shop for sailboats. It is a very nice hotel. It would be a good place to stay if you had business in the area and needed to stay for several nights. It reminds me of The Residence Inn when they first started offering homes away from home back in the 80s. It isn't fancy, but it has everything you'd need to make an extended stay comfortable. It's a little out of the way from tourist attractions, but we know our way around. The staff was VERY friendly, and everything measured up to how it is presented on their website. Because they have a full kitchen in each room, there isn't a complimentary breakfast like many other hotels. But, they have a Market Place in the lobby, with complimentary coffee and items for purchase at reasonable prices. There are several grocery stores close by if you needed to stock up on items for your room's kitchen. If you want a pleasant, comfortable place to stay for business or pleasure I recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We spent a brief overnight here while visiting NASA. Staff was really friendly, all business was quick and neat.

Room was clean, usual style of Candlewood Suites. Bed is European king size - as in not 200x200cm but 160x200cm which was just fine. Great pillows.

The place has free washers/driers which is a real nice touch and we took advantage of this :)

The cupboard is pretty well stocked with whatever you may need (from breakfast to frozen/microwave food to ice cream)

For the price paid we couldn't have asked for better.
If in the area again we'll surely stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ka0z
Friendswood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

The hotel was exceptionally clean and well kept but the reason I'm wrting is the absolute honesty of the staff and people staying there this trip. I ate a rushed breakfast in the cupboard/laundry and had to leave in a hurry. I forgot my Oakleigh Kitchen Sink bag with my computer and all of my jumpdrives and Nikon camera...on the washing machine. When I returned it was still there 3 1/2 hours later...relieved I should say so... but really stay here people are honest and its not the Big City. Besides Tommys is right next door a better meal you couldn't ask for!

Room Tip: Get a King Suite.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Clear Lake
TownePlace Suites Houston Clear Lake
Comfort Suites Webster
#8 of 16 in Webster

Been to Candlewood Suites Houston - Clear Lake? Share your experiences!