“Hidden Gem of IAH”

Ranked #82 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hidden Gem of IAH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel almost 3 months on business travel and the staff were very accommodating. The food service at Good Eats is excellent for both dine-in and room service. The hotel also has a large outdoor pool and tennis court when you have some time to kill after work.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the pool unless you enjoying watching highway traffic.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Charlie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Corey:
Thank you for you for writing about your experience at our hotel. We know it can be difficult to stay away from home for three months at a time and we are happy that we were able to make you feel at home while you were with us.
Charlie Madden: General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had a wonderful dinner experience at the hotel, in special from Evelyn Torres. She is really excited with his work, very committed to provide a high quality service, and also keep the customer satisfied with the better decision for dinner options.

I was very glad with her attendance and she really is an asset for your hotel.

Thanks.

Geovanni.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Charlie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Geovanni:
Thank your for writing about your experience at Good Eats restaurant and the service that you received from Evelyn. We are indeed fortunate to have her on our team.
We look forward to serving you again soon.
Duncan, OK USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The proximity to the airport and to major employers is very handy. All the staff I encountered were friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

The elevators are slow during “rush hour” – It is surprising that a large hotel with 5 floors would have hydraulic type lifts.

My room seemed like a time warp to the 70’s with all the dark browns and tan colors. Even in the bathroom. I don’t care about the décor except that it absorbs any indirect light. They had incredibly bright bulbs to try to compensate, but the lamp shades funnel the light down instead of up to the white ceiling. The bathroom was fine while standing at the sink, but it was quite dim in the shower with the curtain closed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Charlie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
okie_mobro:
Thank you for writing about your experience at our hotel. I will pass your observations onto the design committee for the next renovation of the room.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a short stay here. Our flights were delayed. I wasnt expecting much from this place after experiencing other Holiday Inns hotels elsewhere. But I guess I was wrong to assume. The room, to my taste, is very good. Its the World Cup time when I visited this area.The restaurant is excellent form food, ambiance, to service. Had chicken cajun as recommended by staff. Hotel to airport transfer was stress free.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
engrfajardo:
Thank you for this four star rating and we are happy that our accommodations met your expectations. Thank you for recommending Good Eats Restaurant. We hope to serve you again soon.
Cedar Hill, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our sports organization really enjoyed this hotel. Everyone from the front desk to Willie Haymore, Asst. Chief Engineer, were warm and accommodating. With over 30 kids in our group I was impressed with Willie who had to clean the pool for us because of an incident. He handled the task with such care and regard for the all at the pool area. My disappointment came on the last day of my stay with Ms. Sanchez who with housekeeping and her supervisor. The fire alarms and gone so the hotel and restaurant had to be evacuated several times. A few of us had been locked out of our room during the evacuation and it was taking some time for the key to be reset. We asked Ms. Sanchez, who was providing housekeeping services to our group of rooms, if she could let us in. Her response was horrible! I didn't have a problem going to the front desk but the way she spoke to myself, another guest, and the children was surely below my expectations. She over talked me, interrupted, became confrontational, and spoke Spanish to her coworkers down the hall as she stormed off when we asked for her supervisor. She had spoken English up to the asking of the supervisor. I was very disappointed with the supervisor who was located in a room on the first floor because she spoke Spanish back to very heated Ms. Sanchez and closed the door on me to hear her speak. I recorded the actions of Ms. Sanchez and she still continued her poor service. The front desk handled us with much more care and made new keys for us; however, by the time we made back to our floor another employee had let the children into the room. Our organization has stayed here before and never had any problems. Be sure to eat at the restaurant during your stay.

Room Tip: Get a corner room for a little more space!
1 Thank Freda C
Freda C:
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. I apologize for the way the housekeeper reacted to your request. Be assured that we will take action to make sure that the behavior is not repeated. We appreciate your business and hope your team will choose our hotel for the next competition in the area.
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed at the above property checking in on 7/25/2014 approximately 4:15p and checking out on 7/27/14 at 12:00p.

I left out of my room on 7/25/14 after checking in the room to check on some other guest that had just arrived. Unfortunately, when I left my room, I forgot my room key in my room. So after I finished with the other guest that had just checked in, I went to the front desk and Lillian, Front Desk Clerk & Carlos, Manager on Duty, were assisting with other guest that was in front of them. So I waited patiently and as I was waiting I was talking with my friend and daughter while waiting.

Lillian called me up to her computer and stated to me that she was ready. I explained to Lillian what happened and she asked me if anyone else had a key. I told her, "No." All the keys are in the room. Lillian start getting very snappy and smart, stating she just want to let me know if anyone else has keys they will be deactivated or she probably need to make a duplicate key. I told Lillian whatever she thinks she needs to do, please do it. Lillian started rambling under breath and began getting an attitude and argumentative with me. I stated to Lillian that I feel that she is trying to insult my intelligence with going around in circles about making an additional key. Then Lillian stated to me that I was insulting her intelligence for making her feel that she is insulting my intelligence. I told Lillian that this is unnecessary and if she could just make my key. Lillian started arguing with me once again about how I was talking to her and that I should be ashamed of myself. I asked Lillian why is she arguing with me and then I asked her is a manager on duty.

Lillian pointed next to her, which was Carlos who was assisting another guest and not once did he look up, tried to defuse the situation, nor tried to control his employee and nor did he acknowledge me when I asked if there was a manager on duty.

However, after Lillian pointed to Carlos, I told Lillian that I did not want to speak with her any further and that I would like to speak with the manager or her supervisor.... Lillian, with her hands, clapped at me two times and then took her right and put it up in the air to go away and stand in the manager line. I told Lillian I wasn't going anywhere and I was going to wait their until Carlos finished.

Lillian stormed away why speaking Spanish and talking to other co-workers about what had just occurred. Please understand Lillian clapped at me and then with her right hand motioned me to go away with her hand and not once did Carlos intervene. This act is very disrespectful, and I can't believe that no one and especially management did anything to correct the actions of this employees.

So as I was standing at the front desk waiting on Carlos to finish with his guest. I seen Yvette, phone operator. I remember Yvette because she called me once I initially got into my room to make sure that I didn't need anything. So I called Yvette over to let her know what just happened and in the middle of our conversation Lillian rudely interrupted and was trying to tell her side of the story. I continued to look at Yvette and stated to Yvette, Yvette I would like to talk to you and I do not want to continue speaking with Lillian. Lillian became very angry and started putting up paper on the right side of her face to block her from looking at me. And all of this was going on in front of other guest that where waiting to be assisted and also the manager Carlos that did not move or react to ANYTHING! Lillian was doing or saying.

Yvette told me that I should wait to speak to management because she was just the phone operator. I told her that I was waiting on Carlos and Carlos has been assisting several guest and not once did he try to come and talk to me. So Yvette waited on Carlos to finish assist guest and asked if he could come and speak with me.

Carlos then came over and began speaking with me. I asked Carlos does he recall Lillian and I conversation or the incident that just took place right (literally right beside) beside him, ( I was in total disbelief when he responded) Carlos stated that he did hear or see anything. LOL!!! That can't be true, I don't know how many times, Lillian raised her voice and I raised my voice for him not to hear or see anything.

So Carlos told me to tell him what happened. I begin to tell him my statement, once again Lillian came and interrupted and said let me tell my side of the story because you are "Lying."
I was like, what?!!! Lying?? I was so in shock, Carlos didn't make her stop talking, and I was like go ahead speak. Lillian began telling her side of the story and in the middle of her speaking her part of her story she began once again clapping and leaning towards me like she wanted to reach out and hit me. I began feeling threaten and told Lillian do lean towards me. She became very irritated and stormed off once again. All I could do is look at Carlos to see what he was going to do, which he did nothing! So Carlos told me to finish explaining to him. I told him that I was so disgusted and so exhausted, I don't know what to do or what to say at this moment. All of this could have been avoided if she would have just made my key. Carlos stated to me that he would include the incident in the report later that night. To me, that doesn't mean anything. Then he offered me a $30 credit to the restaurant, I told him that I didn't want the credit. because that isn't going to make me feel any better about what had just occurred. He kept assisting that I take it and also Yvette asked me to take the credit of $30 to the restaurant, so I went on an accepted the $30 credit, because Yvette asked me to and then walked away from the front desk.

I left the hotel that night to go and do a little site seeing around the area. When I returned to the hotel coming through the front door, Lillian is right their with another employee, speaking of the incident and looking at me. That was so humiliating and so unprofessional.

I will never ever stay at this property again. I will give this property a #2 rating only because of Yvette being so outstanding in customer service and actually listening to me and helping me on what I needed. I have never stayed at any property and they treat their guest with so much disrespect and the manager acts like they don't hear or see anything and nor does the manager try to immediately tame the issue or situation. I am disgusted and however and whatever I can do to get this hotel to loose points and stars and make other potential guest aware of the horrible customer service, I am going to make it happen because I did not do anything or say anything out of the way for her to treat me in this manner.

If it wasn't for Yvette, Lillian would have gotten completely out of control with your blind and deaf manager standing right their looking and listening to what's going on. I recommend that you promote Yvette to manager and demote Carlos. Because Carlos and Lillian is going to cost your company a lot of money and make your sales rate drop tremendously.

2 Thank K S
K.S.:
I apologize for the treatment that you received from the front desk agent. The behavior you experienced is unacceptable and action has been taken to make sure that it does not happen again. While we strive to provide an excellent experience to all of our guests, we do sometimes fall short of that goal. You comments help us focus on where we need to improve.
Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have stayed at this hotel twice. Pleasant, helpful staff, clean rooms and comfortable beds. Added the breakfast buffet for a few extra dollars. Food was tasty but could have been hotter as it was lukewarm.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
VivianLeslie10:
Thank you for this review and for letting us know where we can improve. I will consult with the Chef concerning the temperature of the breakfast buffet.