“Convenient and nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #251 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Convenient and nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel provides transportation to Hobby Airport. They arrived to pick us up exactly as promised. The front desk staff was very receptive and provided exactly the type of room requested. The room was up to date and comfortable. Everything worked as it should. I want to come back here to stay when in this part of Houston.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BradJack

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel provides value for money. Rooms were pretty economical, very clean rooms, and facilities were very well maintained.

It's also not too far from the places to see. Drive to NASA space center is about 20 mins, though I-45 can make life terrible. Drive time to HMNS is about 15 mins.

I certainly recommend this hotel if you are on a short trip to see attractions in and around Houston.

Room Tip: I like higher floor rooms, and it was good here too.
Green Features: I am not aware about the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AbhisheksAdvice
Springfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

First and foremost, the property itself and the staff were top notch. Lauren at the front desk was friendly, efficient and most importantly knowledgeable about local places to eat and places to visit before starting my business meeting late the next day. She suggested the Houston Space Center (I'm a science nerd) and some nice places to eat near the hotel.

This Courtyard has switched to the Marriott "Bistro" concept which, as I've said in numerous reviews, shafts the Marriott loyalty premium program members. (e.g. Fairfield Inns have a free breakfast, full service Marriott properties have a concierge lounge with breakfast). I did eat twice at the Bistro out of convenience and both experiences were very good.

I had an interior room on the 2nd floor. The floor was quiet and room was comfortable, however the HVAC unit in the room was rather noisy during operation. It woke me up a couple of times at night during my stay when it started.

However, the value of the hotel was extremely poor. Apparently there was a huge conference in town (Offshore Technical Conference, OTC) and ALL of the hotels in the area skyrocketed their prices to astronomical rates. The Courtyard was nearly $300/night while the full-service Marriott a few blocks away was over $450/night. Being a frequent traveler and a Marriott premium member, near-$300/night for a Courtyard property is brutal, especially if you Google the "regular rates" around $150/night for the property.

The lesson learned here was mine to learn: Insure there are no conferences in the area if you have a choice when your client wants you on site.

Room Tip: Rooms interior to the hotel seem to be quieter than those facing I-45.
Green Features: This Courtyard participates in Marriott's (and most other hotels') practice of re-using towels during the guest's stay. The guest can choose to reuse towels or have fresh towels every day.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Harry E
HOUHBCourtyardGM, Guest Services Specialist at Courtyard Houston Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
First, thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback for us. We are delighted to receive guest comments both positive and negative as they are our most direct method of learning what we're doing right, as well as areas where we can improve. I'm pleased that the rest of the team and I were able to provide the exceptional level of service for which we strive every day, but I am genuinely sorry that your stay was so unfortunately impacted by OTC. As you mentioned in your review, the huge upswing in demand is a phenomenon that impacts every property from Galveston to The Woodlands, and with the economic growth and accompanying convention and tourism growth currently taking place in Houston this is an issue that we take very seriously. Fortunately, ground was broken in April on a new Marriott Marquis property adjacent to one of our convention centers, which will benefit both convention travellers seeking to be near their events, as well as travellers such as yourself who prefer to have their stays unaffected by events such as OTC.

I again offer my abject apologies for the inconvenience caused to you and your client, and would welcome any further communication should you have additional concerns, questions or comments about your past and future stays in Houston.

Warm regards,

Lauren M. Norman
Guest Services Specialist
Courtyard by Marriott Houston Hobby Airport
Marion, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Excellent hotel! There were 4 friends on a girls trip and had just come off a cruise during the weekend of the oil spill. We were exhausted when we got to the hotel and we were early so our rooms weren't ready. They recommended a great restaurant and shuttled us there and back. We had requested rooms next to each other with balconies and when we returned from eating the rooms were exactly what we had asked for. Rooms were good sized, clean and comfortable. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kim M
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Although the computer system was having problems, the Bistro was still able to provide dinner and breakfast with little or no delays. The staff was working as hard and quickly as they could. I even think the desk crew pitched in to help too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were here overnight before catching the Carnival shuttle at Hobby Airport. There was a nice pool, a little too cold to swim but we enjoyed sitting in the pool area. The desk person was friendly. I really appreciated the free shuttle to area restaurants for dinner :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellenTucson
Americus, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We arrived late and the check in was very fast. Though I am not handicapped (my wife might disagree about my head), I was given a handicap room, which doesn't bother me though it may others. I have a handicap parent and the bathroom would have been excellent for them. Many handicap rooms have lips on their showers which make it difficult to get them into the shower. This was wide open and had two shower heads and two drains. It was a nice setup and I definitely recommend for anyone needing accessibility.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business