“Hidden away”

Ranked #239 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Dallas, Texas
“Hidden away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a two bedroom loft with a fireplace and full kitchen. Lots of seating and tables for board games. Needs updating, but the furnishing are kept clean. Hot tub was waaaaay too hot to enjoy but the pool was nice. The hot breakfast was wonderful, but started to close down before the 10am cut off time. Get there early! Didn't have much interaction with the staff, they seemed to be too busy to even smile. Oh well. Property is huge and it's difficult to find your room. No elevators and no carts for luggage. I would say stay here if you can get a good price.

Room Tip: There are no "views", but a Kroger store is nearby for groceries.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brenda K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I love Residence Inns. I lived at one for 4 months when renovating our house and always stay at them when on the road. I was mortified when I pulled up to this particular location.

It must have been an apartment complex at a certain point in its past. The "rooms" are layed out in an apt complex style manner with individual entrances and "patios."

My room was on the bottom floor facing a huge Kroger parking lot. The sliding glass door that opened onto the parking lot immediately scared me. People were walking by within a few feet of my room and I knew that I would never be able to sleep there... Long story short, the staff understood my fears (young, single female traveling alone, would be leaving early in the morning and returning late at night from work) and helped me move over to the Courtyard by Marriott next door.

I wish the hotel would have advertised the layout more specifically when booking.

The staff was nice. The rooms were outdated though.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LALela27
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here for a business trip recently. The room was very nice and clean. The quality of the room was also a nice surprise, with stainless appliances, solid surface counters, a fireplace, and comfortable bed. Staff were also very friendly and helpful. They did have evening happy hours, which was nice. Breakfast was just OK, though. This would be a nice place for someone to stay over the course of several days, if needed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Whenever we travel we always try to make our reservations at a Marriott owned property. We can rely on the cleanliness and bed comfort which are both issues at the top of our list. I am frequently in Houston, Texas for medical issues regarding my son. These stays are never by choice and are often overshadowed with stress and a hurried schedule. This visit was the same but also involved a medical emergency with my father-in-law. The hassle free booking process, GOOD breakfast in the mornings and the comfortable settings all go a long way to ease some of the mind numbing issues we are dealing with. The girls at the counter at the time I checked in could not have been sweeter. The two very amazing young men that handled my checkout several days later were fantastic. Through my tears and emotional melt down they helped me book our room for Christmas. They gave me the managers business card and assured me they were simply a phone call away if I needed any additional dates. We frequent both this Residence Inn and the Spring Hill Inn and suites a few blocks away. We could not be more pleased at the quality and caliber of employees we have come into contact with at both of these locations. It is obvious to me that Marriott simply hires the best and we are very thankful! Your compassion and understanding the emotional mess I was in touched my heart! We also really appreciated the shuttle service into the Med Center. This saved us crazy hospital parking fees and without long wait times for the shuttles this service was a GOD SEND!

Room Tip: Make sure to specify if you want/need a ground floor unit. This is a large complex and we have been...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Antonio, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed here two nights on a business trip in November. I arrived late and was given room 1012 - which is an ADA room on the ground floor at the front of the hotel and in not so good condition. Rickety furniture, front door that didn't quite shut solidly (it did lock with a little extra convincing), and a fridge that made more noise than a pack of wild dogs (fortunately, the OFF switch was easily located). My colleague, by comparison, was in room 324, which was in the middle of the property, and in much better condition - looked to have been more recently remodeled than the room I was in.

The rooms are plenty big with a fireplace, sitting area, and full kitchen. I found the room to be very noisy being at the front of the hotel about 50 feet from the street. The ceilings, like the walls, are paper thin, and I heard the person above me moving around. The bed in the room above mine was very creaky too - but fortunately, the guy wasn't "active" so once he settled in, it quieted down a bit.

Check-in process was more difficult than it should have been with the staff looking through 3 different computer systems, and various pieces of paper, before finally getting my room keys together after about 10 minutes. For some reason, they didn't have any of my details on file either, surprising given I'm a Marriott Rewards elite member, which prolonged the check-in process. Granted, I checked in about 1130 at night and wanted to head straight to the room so my perspective might be a bit skewed - but the front desk seemed to be in disarray.

Breakfast was pretty good with a few different choices. I didn't sample the reception in the evening, but Monday - Thursday there are some light snacks, and burgers on BBQ night, available in the evenings.

Overall, not bad, get a decent room on the second floor, away from the front side of the property and hope that your neighbors are relatively quiet.

Room Tip: Room on second floor and NOT at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris E
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

We think this hotel is underrated for longer stays, such as seeking medical treatment at the Houston Medical Center. The staff is so very friendly, and go out of their way for you. The breakfasts are varied, and the evening happy hour plus snack can sometimes fill in for dinner. The shuttles back and forth to the Med Center area are really useful, and most of the drivers are so very helpful and friendly. The Kroger -- WITH STARBUCKS -- next door is also great, an easy walk through the door in the fence between the properties. The location is also very convenient to other places in Houston. We will continue to stay here when we return to Houston for treatment.

Room Tip: We stay in a one-BR with loft and 2 baths. It's nice to have the extra room when you are here fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SPCRBC
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I travel regularly for business. I choose the Marriott chain for pretty much most of my stays. This has probably been the worst Marriott hotel. The room had a strange odor to it. There were bugs in the bathtub. The couch did not look clean. Most of the TV channels were not clear. The internet did not work for most of the time. When I complained they put me onto their support team who were not able to solve the problem. I was supposed to be staying there for 5 nights. I decided to check out a day earlier because the Hyatt regency in downtown Houston was giving me a better deal. To my surprise, while checking out i realized that they had hiked up my rates. My rates went up by $30 for each night. They said this is because the rate i originally had was for 5 nights. They were not willing to be flexible on this. Overall a forgettable experience. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013