“Best Mac N Cheese”
Review of Max's Wine Dive

Max's Wine Dive
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Wine Dive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #290 of 8,312 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Washington Ave./ Memorial Park
Cross street: Shepherd
Transit: Metro has stops in the area, and the Washington Wave jitney service makes stops at MAX's as well.
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Great wines, DELICIOUS mac n cheese....love all of their dishes! I still haven't tried Sunday brunch, but I can't wait to do so!

1  Thank Hunnniii
There are newer reviews for Max's Wine Dive

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Their Mac and Cheese (playfully MAX N Cheese on the menu) is to die for good. It is bursting with flavors such as garlic, truffle oil, & gruyere cheese.

They also have pancakes topped with fried chicken. I didn't have any but I saw a neighboring customer eating it. It looked ridiculously delicious. And it is a huge portion.

I had the fried egg sandwich. It was also extremely large. I was only able to eat half of it. When I cut it in half, the yolk dripped down onto my plate. It was the perfect "sauce" to dip my bread in. It came with a side of potato chips with truffle oil and grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. And about 5 sliced of sweet pickles. Oh, it was SO good!

1  Thank PrincessLea20
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I think our experience could have been a fluke, bc a lot of problems centered around the waiter. He forgot our app, our fried chicken took over 35 minutes from when we ordered it. It was ok, not anything to write home about. the mashed potatoes were very good. My wife always tries a low end cab, and didn't like it(her fault for ordering cheapest cab). Best part of the night was a wine I tried called a susana balbo malbec-- probably my new favorite.

1  Thank Jaypitman
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Chicken was very good, not the best in the world, as advertised. Waiter told us to order a half portion and split, nice of her. Wine list was good, this is the place is where you want to be if you are under 35, single and looking for good food, fun and a hookup.

Alas, we are more than twice the average age.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Needed to waste 2 hours in the Heights and decided to try a wine dive. For a supposed wine bar, the reds were very limited by the glass. I started with their cheapest cab at $8.25/glass and the less than generous poor was harsh. When the waitstaff came for a refill and I said "no mas", she suggested the $12.75/glass cab, the only other option. Afraid to get burnt again, I moved over to the Spanish wine list. The cheapest Spanish wine(most of the wines listed were from South America) at $9.75/glass was drinkable but certainly not a good representative of the delicious Spanish reds. Needing to strech time I ordered the cheese board at $14.50. Three thumbnail sized pieces of cheese arrived on a large slate board with 4-5 thin pear slices, a shotglass full of grapes and old stale glazed pecans that were stuck hopelessly together. The waitress noticed the amused look on my face and went into a canned review of the cheeses. She delighted over the 3rd small piece and told me it was hand rubbed with coffee. It tasted, hmmm, like coffee. If you're a doopie (duped urban professional) that can't tell the difference between a full-bodied cab and a bottle of Night Train, you'll be in good company with the other doopies eating the highly overpriced comfort food. Terrible place for experimenting with wines by the glass. The waitress was a good salesperson.

1  Thank Alibooba