“In need of some updates”

DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza
Ranked #43 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I saw mixed reviews of this hotel before booking but I have yet to find a good (or even decent) hotel in Houston with the budget my company gives me-- so I thought I would give this one a chance.

First, I agree with what a lot of other reviewers have said--the hotel is not marked at all and luckily my GPS was dead on about where the hotel was or I would have been hopelessly lost. I can see why other people said they couldn't find it.

In terms of the hotel, lets start with the good: the gym! The gym is one of the better--maybe the best hotel gym I have come across in a Hilton property. It was crowded but I was able to easily get a treadmill both days and appreciated that the gym had disposable headphones since I forgot mine. Also had free weights and a couple of weight machines. The other pro was the staff--everyone I came in contact with which was mostly just the front desk and valet guys, were very friendly which I appreciated. Also there is a Starbucks onsite which is nice.

The bad: As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel is pretty dated. This would not really have been that much of an issue to me but dated combined with not very clean is an issue. I had a room with 2 double beds instead of a king--which ended up being a pro because when I checked the first bed (as I always do upon arrival) I noticed the pillows had 1. hair and 2. a lot of makeup stains on them. This scared me a little because they looked like foundation stains, i.e. the kind that generally come out in the wash. After spotting numerous hairs on the sheets (disgusting), I prayed that the other bed was better and it seemed to be. A few of the pillow cases had the same makeup stains all over them but 1 pillow appeared clean (out of 6 or something that is really sad). The bathroom also was still all wet when I went in and there was a pube in the tub. Yuck. All these things combined made me wonder if the room had even been cleaned? And obviously if it was, it wasn't done well. All in all, it really grossed me out and I didn't sleep well either night.

The other problem: noise! One of the loudest hotels, people slamming their doors all night and it sounded like the person in the room above mine was moving all of the furniture around.

I don't think I would stay here again--I know they have an update in the works which is great. Maybe with those updates will come cleaner rooms.

I would recommend another hotel in Houston--but I have yet to find one.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank KDubs100
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2014

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. First of all, we're so glad that you enjoyed our on site facilities and that you found them satisfactory. We're so sorry for the housekeeping problems you encountered. I can assure you that guest room cleanliness is one of our top priorities. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and know our guests deserve better. We will make every effort moving forward to ensure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another chance if you visit our area in the future.

Best regards,

Mark Yakoubek
Rooms Director

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Thanks Richard for helping us get the best handicap route to Lakewood from the hotel. I will recommend y'all because of your over the top kindness. The route was easy to navigate with the wheelchair, and we got to the service with no issues.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. We are lucky to have Richard on our team. Hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

When we walked into the lobby we thought that this was a fantastic, up to date hotel. Stepping out of the elevator was like going back in time-to 1979. The rooms need updating. The bed was not comfortable, the sheets were not Hilton standard, the shower drained slowly, and the sink stopped up. I have worked for a Hilton hotel in the past and I can assure you this hotel would be written up for not being up to Hilton standards. The owner needs to let go of some cash to get the place updated.
Also, at breakfast I ordered pancakes. I never received them nor could I ask our waiter because he never returned to our table. I didn't see wait staff often at breakfast helping anyone. In addition, I inquired about breakfast because as a diamond member a free breakfast is expected. I was told at check in that all I had to do was tell our waiter. Our waiter told us we were supposed to have gotten a ticket from the front desk at check in. Either way, breakfast was free but I don't really think I should have had to work for a free breakfast.
All in all, it was really lacking. I do not recommend this hotel, especially if you are accustomed to Hilton standards.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 77AngelaK
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Feedback like yours allows us to look at challenges in our service delivery and correct these short comings. We recently began a multi-million dollar renovation, that, over the next several months will upgrade almost all areas of the hotel. I hope you will consider staying with us in the future should your travels bring you back to Houston.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

I checked into the Doubletree by Hilton at 6 Greenway Plaza in Houston, Texas on November 1, 2013. We stayed in one of the executive floors and at the time of the reservation they notified us that the rate included a full breakfast. Lo and behold, when we checked-in, the hotel rescinded the breakfast and would not budge. We were really upset and notified the hotel that we would never stay at a Hilton again because of this treatment. They lied!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hesfeet

I apologize for the challenges you had with breakfast during your recent stay with us. Honest feedback from our guests allows us to address opportunities with our operation. I hope you give us an chance in the future to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

As a Hilton Rewards member, I stayed on 17th floor in a king size room (# 1708), but unfortunately the room was very noisy with construction work. My wife is expecting and after a 6 hours drive, she wanted to take rest before we could attend my cousins wedding downstairs. She was not able to do as some drilling was constantly going on for good 3-4 hours. The noise was so loud that we felt it was in our room. Then we also had an issue with the bath tub drain and the mold on the walls. I took picture and showed it to management twice and they did not do anything about it. All they said that we have those problems in other rooms as well. Honestly, I was very disappointed. This was the last trip my wife and I were taking before our baby and it was not a good experience. We extended our stay in the city, but switched hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ahsan A

I apologize for the challenges you had during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on the hotel and the service we provide. In your case we obviously failed on several fronts. I am sorry. With a multi-million dollar renovation now under way, and improvements in our service (thanks to your feedback), we hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel is in a great location. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good with a nice variety of buffet items for those that wanted to get out quickly. The cookies are always great. The only problem was that the sound from the doors closing from adjacent rooms was a bit loud.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
MarkHouston, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Houston - Greenway Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back soon.

MarkY-Guest Service Champion.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The sink, toilet, and tub were very dirty. It look it had not been clean in a while. Also, after a long drive we all wanted to shower but we had no towels! Also if you come here make sure you check your bill. I was charged twice for parking, internet(I had the auto wifi on my cell), and for tv show that comes on regular tv. Houston has lots of great hotels, but this isn't one of them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Christina G

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. We're so sorry for the housekeeping problems you encountered as well as the challenges with your bill. I can assure you that guest room cleanliness is one of our top priorities. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and know our guests deserve better. I will also reach out to you to ensure the billing issues were corrected before you checked out. Thank you again and we hope you will give us another chance if you visit our area in the future.