“Peruvian, a culinary fusion”

Lemon Tree Restaurant
Ranked #2,767 of 8,396 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Peruvian eats a lot of seafood, potatoes and rice, a reflection on the history and immigrants of the country. The food at The Lemon tree is no exception. We were greeted with friendly hostess and waiter. Interior decor is more sophisticated than the neighborhood it is in, Lots of cerviche and seafood dishes on the menu, We each picked a dish from different parts of the menu, the paella was great, my squid cooked in its ink is delightful. Yet my son's choice is most interesting, a rice dish laced with beef, vegetables, sauce and topped with a fried egg. Guess the Chinese were there too, the signature fried egg appears in too many Asian rice dishes including Haiwaiian cusinse. They also serve sodas from Peru and their desserts are huge. Like Dr Seuss had suggested, "try it and you may", I recommend you to give it a try.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

This is the best Peruvian fare in Houston and possibly West of the Mississippi. Though small and unpretentious, be prepared for a feast. I would even state that the food here is as good or better that if you were in Peru itself. This restaurant has been in this place for 3-4 years that I recall and never disappointing. Although Peruvian, dishes have been adapted well to the local palate (actual Peruvian food is quite spicy and hot, even more than Mexican fare, and one can actually request additional spice and chili -called aji- if yo would like to). Notice is closed Mondays. On Friday and Saturdays evening, you might want to reserve as it is when there is live music and is packed. I've had every dish in the menu and it is very hard to tell which one is best.
This is perhaps the only place we make efforts to leave room for dessert: you will be introduced to Peruvian desserts, which are out of this world to say the least. I've sometimes gone for lunch and only have desert.
I believe they don't have a liquor license, which is a pity, as I'd love to get some Pisco Sour; but nevertheless, it is possible to order Inka Kola (a Peruvian soda, which some think is way to sweet -but is not the sugar-l but believe, the flavor is designed to complement the food); or even better a purple drink called chicha (which is actually made of purple corn, but you would never suspect. Of course, you can also get regular Coke ;but why would one do that?
I have been taking colleagues form my office for the last 3 years and they have made this one of their favorite spots.
Highly recommended.
One additional note: parking space is limited in front of the local, but there is ample parking just across the street

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our meals here, but the star of the show was the fish with caper sauce that's listed as one of the specialties on the menu. Incredible. Fabulous! Our other meals were also delicious. The seafood paella was well flavored with a good amount of shrimp, calamari and mussels. The only thing we would have changed was...someone ordered the ceviche, which is on the menu as an entree. Very fresh and flavorful, but we would have preferred it if offered as an appetizer portion because as an entree, it's too much of a tart, lemon flavor to enjoy as a full meal. Since we were sharing, it wasn't a big deal. But next time, I believe I heard everyone say they were getting that wonderful fish and caper dish! Try the desserts. Yummy.

I had read somewhere that this restaurant is in a house, and that there is live music on Saturdays. If so, they have moved. The restaurant is on the corner of Whittington and Dairy Ashford in a little strip center, and there was no live music. We did not go for live music, so that was not missed.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

We went on a Saturday evening, be sure to make reservations, as there is live music on the weekends and it is not a very large place. There is an assortment of dishes, especially for sea food. I've had a lightly fried fish with a caper sauce that was wonderful and this evening I had a dish with a mixture of seafood, or mariscos, served with white rice and potatoes. The paella is especially tasty. They serve no alcohol, so you have to bring your own if you want to imbibe. No brewed ice tea, only tea in bottles. Some patrons had 2 liter sized bottles for the family. We had a special Peruvian cake with meringue and a sweet fruit, and it was very good.

1  Thank arienne410
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Lemon Tree is known with good reason for its inventive ceviche, served so fresh it's almost still wriggling. Get the traditional raw-fish blend ($13) or the mixto variation, with raw fish, shrimp, calamari, and mussels, served with corn and sweet potatoes ($13.50). Other deep-sea delights include paella ($13) and seasoned rice with scallops ($14.50). Some equatorial specialties include fried fish in onion sauce with a side of yucca ($12.50) and lomo saltado (sautéed beef tenderloin) topped with two fried eggs and served with french fries, rice, and beans ($15).

The Lemon Tree has two locations in Houston, the original near George Bush Park and the newer establishment in Midtown. The new Midtown joint features the same sizzling Peruvian delights as the home-base eaterorium and is complemented by live music Friday and Saturday nights; the Whittington Drive location has live music on Friday nights. No matter which one you choose, you'll be steeped in the flavors of history, which does not at all taste like dusty and yellowed manuscripts, but rather yucca, fish, and Simon Bolivar.

1  Thank AlainHarvey