“"My Second time"”

Athens Hotel Suites
Ranked #320 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have been in 6 hotels in Downtown Houston, Tx. Its my second time right here in Athens Hotel and Suites, Really I like, the service staff is excellent, specialy the service from my friend John, Its not a big hotel, but has everything the necesary and very very confortable beds, very clean, free Wi-fi, A/C, laundry and Ice to drink's 24 hrs ,light breakfast (coffee, milk, orange juice, fresh fruits, etc), a small gym, surveillance interior and something important to rest all time its silence inside.

I think if I come back again to Houston, I'll booking the Athens hotel and suites

Best regards to John by the service excellent!!!

Room Tip: Front rooms Excellent view to clay St
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Athens Hotel Suites

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I will certainly go back to this hotel.
The staff was very helpfull.
I was in this hotel for the third time. In former years the hotel was very dirty.
the new manager John Frangius did his best to improve our stay. He was cleaning the room himself and we, me and my husband, were pleased to have a cleaner room.
We were travalling from Belgium and our 11 days was great!!

Room Tip: all rooms are equal.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Adriana H
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have travelled many times since 2004 to Houston for the International Quilt Show, have stayed at different locations each time. The Athens Hotel built in 1920 is of European style, family owned, with two levels, each room layout is different with a small kitchen, own bathroom, air-conditioning, TV, the bed is extremely comfortable and free Wi-fi. John-owner and new business manager Brian and Doug assistant manager are more than helpful to me and show a lovely personal hello each time coming back to the hotel. Yes I have a name and I am not invisible.
Sometimes you only get what you pay for and being an older style building I don't mind walking up stairs as there is no lift, nor do I mind using clean laundry -sheets and towels- that are not all brand new. Downstairs in the lobby a light breakfast is on offer to get you started for a busy day.
This is my second time staying at the Athens Hotel, Houston, with a 3 week stay here this visit.
I will definitely be rebooking to come back next year!
O, also, I am writing this report from my experience -happily-

Carolyn König -Australia

Room Tip: Room 206 was excellent, great location, but not a wheelchair friendly location stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Let's start with the good, the room looked clean. Any the bad, no hot water for a shower, managed to make it lukewarm. Washing machine, ice machine, vending machines all not working, carpets dirty and finally, the breakfast was put out and then left for 3 hrs, no way was i going to eat it.

2  Thank Les C
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed at the Athens for one night as our football team was playing Houston and this hotel was within walking distance of the Stadium.

Even gaining access to the hotel was extremly difficult as we had to bang three or four times to get someone to open the door. The reception/breakfast table room was a mess and very scruffy, and we were hardly met with a smile, in fact we felt like intruders.

There is no lift, but we did get help up the steep stairs to our rooms. At first glance the rooms appeared to be presentable, but on closer inspection the microwave had not been cleaned, the dish drainers were filthy and in our friends from there were dirty dishes left on the draining board.

After returning from the game we noticed that we had no pillows on our bed only the ones which were left for decoration, and there was no one on reception so we had to make do.

The shower was dangerous as it was impossible to regulate the temperature and it was far to hot. We went to make coffee but had to empty it as it had not been cleaned.

Our friends went for breakfast at 6.20am but were told that it wouldn't be ready until 7 am. Unfortunately when they tried again at 7am there were 4 rounds of toast in the toaster which the lady who had prepared breakfast told I us it was hers and we would have to wait until it was cooked. Breakfast is served in the scruffy reception and has to be carried up the steep stairs to the room , but no trays are provided. One of the trays serving the hot food had cellotape holding the lid together which was dangerous. The bread was left in the wrapper and we had to help ourselves with our fingers! The drinks machine was out of order as was the computer in the reception/breakfast room and there was no wifi, but more worrying there were no fire orders in our two rooms and our key had the room number and hotel name written on it, so I'm really glad I didn't lose it because someone could have walked into my room and emptied it! The fire door at the top of the stairs was propped open with a notice to say " don't bang the door"

We paid a massive $168 dollars for this room which is more than we are paying now for a 4* hotel with a pool. My advice would be to avoid this place at all costs and go for something better which would possibly be cheaper.

There is public car parking available but the signs are not clear on how much it costs to park overnight and the reception at the hotel hadn't got a clue!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Stokee7
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Easy check-in. Great downtown location. Staff very friendly and willing to help with your needs. My first room had some issues, but I was swiftly given another room. I felt safe in the hotel since there is a key access to enter during the night. The hotel has a new manager who is very motivated and pleasant. My stay was a day shorter than expected and they kindly refunded the last day without any hassle. Also, the price was excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed here for a convention, service was very good and the room was cheap for being in such a good location, the owner was very accommodating and nice. The room had everything I could need, I stayed at an way more expensive hotel in Houston recently and it didn't have a fridge or microwave but this one comes with a functional kitchen with a stove an all. Great deal.

• Stayed: May 2013