“A Most Excellent Choice”

Athens Hotel Suites
Ranked #334 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I went to 3 different hotels in the same area and chose the Athens Hotel Suites because of the reasonable price, cleanliness and location. I received constant excellent, friendly service which was much appreciated during my extended business stay. I was very impressed with the hotels cleanliness and the "quietness" despite the downtown location. My room was large, comfortable, and it's kitchenette had all new/modern appliances. The overall atmosphere of the hotel exuded comfort and a cozy "family" atmosphere. I definitely felt "at home" and it was very relaxing to come back to my room after a stressful day. I will and have already recommended this hotel to all I know and meet.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 March 2010

I drove in from out of town and arrived late. They were very accommodating and personable. The hotel is small and cozy. I had a nice room with a kitchen. The hotel is just 3 blocks from the Brown Convention Ceter and Metrorail, easy walking distance. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Texas1voice
Reviewed 15 February 2010

This hotel was a surprise. As a business traveller I stay in many high end hotels. While the Athens Hotel was very basic - clean room with no amendities - the service was better then I've ever seen in a 5 star. From the owner right on down to the entire staff - these guys will cater to you and get you whatever you need. After finding out they did not have room service the owners offered to go anywhere to get what I desired for dinner. And they did - they went to get food, beverages, they parked my car and offered to drive me to my meetings the next day. These guys are all about service!!!! Bravo - I would definely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2009

If you're looking for a hidden jewel in the heart of downtown Houston, this place is it. Stay in style on a budget, with all neighboring attractions a short one or two block walk. Very friendly, and prompt service with the lowest rates around. The inviting rooms even have full kitchens.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dertyu
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I arrived a few days after my friend who had already checked in. They made her pay the entire bill up front. I needed to pay my share by credit card and they were willing to give her a credit and charge my share to my card for a Charge of $20.00!!!! When I complained, they changed their mind and said they would handle the transaction.
I was also charged $35.00 for internet use which I didn't even know where the computer was and never used. I was not told of this charge up front, or that I had access to the internet.
It took me 2 days to get my own key to the room, as they were always too busy!!
My friend and I were there for an event at the convention center and it was quite handy to that, however, we were gone most of the day and arrived back at the hotel around midnight. One night we came back to find that there were no pillowcases on our pillows! I went downstairs to find the night man and he was sleeping in a small cubbyhole. I woke him up and asked for pillowcases - he said sure, what room? I told him and he just went right back to sleep - never got pillowcases til the next day.
The maid never cleaned the coffee pot, and every morning I would have to ask for a packet of coffee as they never left one.
James was quite nice, friendly, and tried to be of service - but he was not there 24/7 .

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank misterwiz
AthensHotelSuites14, Manager at Athens Hotel Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Thank you for choosing Athens Hotel Suites for your stay. We apologize for a non satisfactory stay here. We have since undergone several renovations and under new management. We will like to invite you back at a discounted rate just mention this response. We look forward to hearing and seeing you soon!

Ame Flores
Manager

Reviewed 7 February 2009

I stayed at this hotel because I wanted to be within walking distance of the convention center. The price was great @ $120/night and all of the other hotels were booked up.

HOTEL Layout: The hotel has all rooms on the 2nd floor and the rooms are arranged around a “horseshoe” with both inside and outside rooms. There is one really small room that was crammed into leftover space. I was moved to this room because my first room was unacceptable (more on that follows). I actually would have been happy in this tiny room which was probably 10 feet by 12 feet (including the bathroom). My first room was an “inside the horseshoe” room. The inside of the horseshoe is actually a patio where people can go to sit and smoke and talk.

The GOOD: The manager, John, and the young man who worked the front desk, James, go out of their way to make sure you are happy. If there is something they can do, someone they can call, or drive you somewhere, they are there to help. In fact they are so helpful and so friendly that I wish I did not have to write anything bad about the place. Unfortunately, this will not be the case. The rooms are good size and they have clean dinnerware, stove/oven, microwave, and refrigerator. The TV worked. The hotel is close to good restaurants and I could easily walk anywhere I needed to be. I like little hotels that are not the usual Hilton/Marriott/Four Season type of hotel. If it was not for the things listed below I would stay here again.

The BAD: 1) I called to verify my reservation a few days before my trip and it took them forever to find my reservation. They first told me that they had no record of a reserved room. However, they did finally find it. I had a friend who was going to stay there and they messed up his reservation and he ended up without a room.

2) The bed coverings were disgustingly stained and old. I removed them using two fingers, threw them in the corner, and immediately washed my hands. One of the sheets I had to use was marked “HCDC Dec 1989”. I assumed this meant Harris County Detention Center. I was using 20 year old sheets that had been recycled from a jail. Both beds had black pieces of something or plant material between the sheets. I had to dust off the beds prior to using them. They were not dead bugs and I could not figure out what they were. Maybe it was better that way.

3) There were two hangers in the closet.

4) The toiletry bottles looked as if they had been reused for many years. The printing on the bottles was worn off and the “safety seals” had been reused so many times that they hardly had any sticky stuff on them. Yech.

5) The bed was next to a window. This window looks out onto the patio area. The window coverings are slatted blinds which had large gaps in covering the window glass. Anyone on the patio can actually see into your room. So, for women, don’t get ready for bed or walk out of the shower at night when there is a light on – someone can literally be sitting outside your window and be looking in. I would not want my wife stay there. There does not seem to be a time limit when they close the patio. At 12:30am three people pulled up chairs outside my window (less than eight feet from my head!) and starting talking and laughing. I called the front desk – no answer. I did get an answering machine that told me the hotel was a 24/7 hotel. I went downstairs and found the night desk person sleeping in a little closet or room off the lobby! No desk person and no security! I plugged my ears with wet toilet paper and managed to get some four hours of sleep.

6) I complained the next morning and got moved to the really tiny room which was fine with me. When I got back in the afternoon the always helpful and friendly John said that he wanted to move me to a larger room on the outside of the horseshoe. He was very insistent because he wanted me to enjoy my room and my stay. John really does care about his guests. He also seemed to know about his sleepy night person. So, we go to the first big room and opened the door and obviously someone had used the bed! Woops. So, we went to the next room which seemed to be adequately cleaned. The bed covering was somewhat cleaner but the same black items were between the sheets. This room is on the Toyota Center side of the building (southwest).

7) I went to bed and thought – “How quiet.” Until - the trains started moving and blowing their whistles. The hotel is located about 1 mile from train tracks and the train people sure do love their whistles. This sound carried amazingly well. So, back to the wet toilet paper in the ears trick. While I had heard the trains in my first room it was more background noise than bothersome. In this second room I felt like a conductor was going to ask me for my ticket.

8) There is a “guest laundry” (washer and dryer) at the end of the hallway. Some inconsiderate person placed items in there which included metal pieces that clanked for an hour. Again, a simple rule that shut this area down at 9 or 10 o’clock would help.

CONCLUSION:
I love smaller, friendly, non-corporate, off the radar hotels. This would be a great hotel if they had clean bed coverings and sheets, a few simple rules to limit the patio area and laundry to pre-10pm, and had a desk clerk who did not sleep during his night shift. The price is certainly great and the staff is very friendly and very helpful. I really think that John cares about his guests.

RECOMMENDATION: If you want to stay here make sure you get an outside room on the northwest side of the building. I am assuming that this would be the quietest area. However, I cannot guarantee that. The inside rooms are quiet unless there are people on the patio. However, there is no real safeguard against people looking into your room. It was disconcerting to have people right outside my window at 12:30am. I find this a real security problem and potentially dangerous. My wife would not stay here. Would I stay here again? Not unless I could get a northwest room and knew that I would have clean bed coverings.. The internet website labels the hotel as four star with noise resistant rooms, work desk (not in my room), and luxurious counter tops in spacious bathrooms (not really). I get to stay at four star hotels. This hotel is two star at best, with a four star manager and assistant. Again, John and James are great. It pains me to write a review such as the one I have written because I really liked John and James.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
5  Thank TravelDonCA
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Be Aware that after submitting your online reservation "request", you will get an email back thanking you for your reservation. As I have now found out, this email is only a form reply. And, if your reservation is accepted, you will get a second email confirming your reservation. If your "reservation" is not accepted, for example if they are booked)...you won't get a second reply. Not getting this second reply is how you are to know that you don't have a reservation....you just had a reservation request.

So if you show up at the hotel with just your first reply, thinking you have a room, you will be very disappointed.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business