“A hotel in a parking garage, or a parking garage in a hotel?”

Aloft Houston by the Galleria
Ranked #183 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 31 October 2013

The design of this hotel is rather weird. You enter on the ground floor which you realize is also the entry to the parking garage. In the first floor lobby area the ceilings with the exposed pipes and ducts looks a little like a parking garage ceiling. The elevator shows 10 floors but 5 of those are parking and floor 6 is actually the first floor of rooms. I guess they are worried about rowdiness in the elevators as they are padded much like you would see in cell for unstable people (see the picture) I was on floor 9 and the room was quite quiet and very clean. The bathroom is very modern, and the stall shower with the glass door was quite elegant. (No tub). The room was quite stark, white walls with no pictures or wall accessories. but the ceiling was very strange. You could see the seam marks from the plywood forms used to contain the wet cement when the floor above was poured, (See the picture) It is the exact same ceiling as in the parking garage but it was painted white to show it was a hotel room. The bed was fine, and the lounge area was excellent. Linda the bartender was very friendly and provided excellent service.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant or room service in this hotel. Some bar food is available, but if you want a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
max j, General Manager at Aloft Houston by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Thaank you for your review. The design of the hotel is in the spirit of a loft, urban apartment feel with unfinished ceilings and the feel of an edgy, open space to appeal to those who are savvy with the style and type of living. We are glad that you liked the room with all the space yet minimal decor'. Our Refuel area is a grab n go at your time and very happy to see that our W xyz talent took care of your needs. Thank you again for the review and for sharing with other travelers.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I enjoyed my recent two night stay at the Aloft. The room was fairly clean with a comfortable bed. It felt like they were trying a little hard to be trendy and that showed with the staff. Biggest issue was the awkward front desk and check in. Parking and valet is a little steep.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
CrystalJ740, Manager at Aloft Houston by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your stay. Our brand was created to be hip and trendy and we appreciate your recognition of this. We understand the location and shape of our front desk is unique and takes a while to adjust to, but this is also apart of the Aloft brand identity which sets us apart from the other hotels. We are different by design. We hope that you enjoyed the time you spent with us and hope that you return in the near future.
-Crystal J.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just stayed there and sent the note below to the General Manager. Thought I'd share it here too!

Hi Max,
Thank you for a lovely stay.

The team at the Aloft Houston by far exceeded my expectations, and the expectations of the colleagues with whom I traveled. We were all commenting on the gracious welcome, the impeccable service that was delivered with a smile and the overall great vibe that was directly a result of the people who work there.

For example:
- Upon arrival, Demetrius got each of us into our rooms in an amazingly short amount of time
- My automated reservation system at work had booked me 2 rooms instead of just 1; Demetrius fixed it; I did not stress for even a minute (and that's happened elsewhere, and at much more pricey hotels, where the same situation became a SITUATION; so this was a great relief to me)
- The women on the afternoon shift including Tomekia helped us with taxis and shuttles and information that was super helpful and smooth
- The cleaning staff and Josetta and Charles from Services (i think?) helped me to get coffee when my in-room coffee maker was working strangely. I really "needed" a coffee and he brought it to me from downstairs with everything I needed and so quickly.
- Jim, who helped us with our bags was charming and helpful.
- Paul, who checked us out was gracious and generous.

We are frequent travelers and all of us were impressed.

I'm a letter writer. Unfortunately, I usually only have reason to express frustration when I'm writing these letters. It was a pleasure to stay at the Aloft and to have a reason to write a letter of thanks!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Good service, awful bed. I stayed here once and never again. I travel a lot for work and love Starwood properties, but not this one. The Galleria is a great area and the Westin properties are a better choice for trips there.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
max j, General Manager at Aloft Houston by the Galleria, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your review and the great comment about our team here at Aloft and please allow me to first apologize for the issue you had with the comfort of your bed. We want all of our guest to have a great nights sleep and we will review the comfort level of our beds for future use. Thank you again and we invite you back to Live Life ALoft!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My friend's family like this place. The decoration is a little bit modern in a good way and they all feel very comfortable with the room. I sent my friends in, parked in the lot for 10 minutes. But they managed to charge a fee of around $15 for that. They don't have nice breakfast. But given the location, it's not a bad choice.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This place was pretty cool for it being a budget hotel. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. I liked that they don't make you valet like some other hotels. The hotel is in good proximity to the Galleria Mall. It is also close enough to the expressway so you can travel around the area. The only issue I had, was with a cleaning lady. I was suffering from a migrane and I had to stay inside for a good part of the day. I saw the cleaning lady in the hallway and when I went to ask if she could clean my room now that I was leaving, she look at me and said,"No English". It was simple enough to call down to the front desk to get it done, but I did not like being able to interact with someone on the staff. other than that, this place was a pretty good deal.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the street and I could not hear anything.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about our hotel. We look forward to hearing from our guests. While we see that your stay was nice, there were opportunities we will be working on. Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I could not have asked for a better stay! Such a nice hotel! I arrived late and the front desk agent was so helpful and nice. Very pleasant encounter. I did find the parking rate to be a bit steep, but the incredible room made it worth it!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo