“Excellent Contemporary Hotel - great location”

Hotel Sorella CITYCENTRE
Ranked #4 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Longford, Ireland
“Excellent Contemporary Hotel - great location”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed here for 3 weeks in June. Rooms are spacious and beds are very comfortable. Lighting is not very good in the rooms and I am not a fan of white lights... The air conditioning is noisy but definitely effective! Bathrooms are lovely and the room service is excellent.

Breakfast consists of pastries, coffee and cereal and fruit which you can get a bit tired of after a few days. It would be nicer to have a bigger selection. The staff are very helpful.

The gym is very small but it was never too crowded when I went in the mornings.

Parking can be a problem as it is open to anyone using the City Centre and can get very crowded.

The free shuttle bus (within a 5 mile radius) is very useful.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Iam always impressed with this hotel. The rooms are beautiful and tastefully decorated. It is located next to a great town center full of neat shops and great resturants. I enjoy the complimentary breakfast and limo service.

• Stayed June 2010
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I found this boutique hotel when I started traveling for business about 6 months ago and searched for a sub-$200 option in the Energy Corridor (which this is arguably just outside). I have continued to come back for what I think is a very good value for the money for business travel. The hotel is a part of the mixed-use CityCentre development at the southeast corner of Beltway 8 and I-10 which can be hard to navigate for a first-time visitor, but a veteran will learn to steer to the parking garage behind the hotel, go straight to the 3rd floor, and head for the double-doors. The very contemporary decor (predominantly black, ivory and earthy complimentary colors) and black hardwood floors in the rooms and bathrooms, the progressive mix of background music through the hotel, and the relatively high noise level will not appeal to all travelers. Neither will the level of activity at the foot of the hotel, surrounded by the (decent but not inexpensive) restaurants being patronized by a young, hip--not raucous & drunken--crowd generating a low roar competing with the "background" music on Wednesdays and Thursdays (which is noticeable if you are staying on the side of the hotel overlooking it or the small pool which doubles as a venue for an attached bar that features live and sometimes loud music which also resounds through the entire lobby). Front desk staff is very friendly and accommodating, and I have come back enough times to be recognized by a few. Continental breakfast in the lobby is nice. This is not a kid-friendly or family-oriented hotel, but for a business traveler such as myself and apparently many others I've noticed who come in to work, sleep, eat and leave, it's a great option.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 July 2010

We really liked the hotel, modern, clean lines, good room seize, nice furnishing and nice, good lightning in the bathroom. Wonderful breakfast opportunity. Great area with very good selection of restaurant, good for happy hour and great nightlife.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Loved loved loved Hotel Sorella. You pay a little extra for the view but it was an INCREDIBLE view! Close to everything, bar and club in the hotel and a few more right beneath, movie theatre next door and just all around great location. The room had a modern feel, the bathroom is to DIE for, enjoyed the pool area, I have no negative comments about Hotel Sorella. I will absolutely stay here again. Two thumbs all the way up!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Very positive experience. The staff were very helpful. Room was very new, spacious, modern and clean.

Location was great. The pub downstairs from the lobby served great food and a variety of beers. If you take a 20 minutes stroll (ask concierge for directions), you will get to an open and huge outlets look-alike area with shops like Banana Republic and GAP, with many cafes and restaurants along your way there. I think the area is reasonably new and will eventually be developed into a huge shopping area with more shops to be opened soon. I stopped by one of those cafes (Forgot the name of the cafe, sorry!!) and had a chat with the girl who made me my coffee. She told me that the cafe delivers fresh made pastries to the hotel for breakfast everyday. Note - The hotel serves complimentary breakfast.

The hotel provides all day complimentary shuttle van service to anywhere within 10 radius from the hotel. I took the shuttle van to go to Memorial City Mall. My partner was very grateful to the hotel driver/staff who took him to his client's office in the morning as he could not get a taxi during the peak hours.

I read a review about the hotel entrance being difficult to locate. We took a taxi from Galleria Shopping Mall. The taxi driver did not know where the hotel was and called the hotel for directions. Must be pretty accurate directions as the taxi driver did not get lost!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Banchory, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We stayed one week as my husband was in town for business.

Plus sides:
1. Location. Near to everything, but secluded. Tons of restaurants and shopping opportunities within walking distance, including many bars.
2. Room quality. Spotless! Housecleaners - kudos to them. The linens are top quality, the bed a superior sleep, modern bathroom. We had a suite, which was huge, modern and had windows on two sides of the room!
3. Attentive service, even with small issues to contend with.
4. Brilliant continental breakfast in the lounge, and until 11 AM! Fresh fruit, and also a huge bowl of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, fresh pineapple and melons - I woke up happy to go have breakfast. Also coffee, tea (rEvolution teas, great!), juices and cereals, along with not-so-great sugared croissants.

Downsides:
1. All those bars means a lot of noise. We were first on a lower floor, and overlooking the pool. The noise got very loud on Thursday night, so we asked for a room on the other side of the building, which they had, and strongly suggested we take to avoid the bar noise. (However, seems a lot of folks come on weekends to party here, so the rooms next to us had a party anyhow...)
2. Parking. This was an issue that we had to take to the management, and it was resolved. Our rental car company had left a car for us, with a valet ticket. At the valet booth downstairs, it says, 'complimentary daytime valet parking, $5 after 5 PM.' Four days later of using valet parking, we came in late at 10 PM, so I wondered, if we have to pay $5. I looked in the brown binder in the hotel room - not a peep about parking. I look again on the website, and it says only, 'valet parking.' So I go downstairs and ask at the front desk. I am told valet parking is $21 a day. I am flabbergasted, as I can park the car myself, and the parking garage (free) is only 200 ft from the hotel. I protest the charge, and the lady said that its up to the valet to tell me that. She leaves a message for management to take up the problem, and it was sorted out. I immediately took the car out of 'valet', told them why, and all the valets were worried about 'who' didn't tell me about this charge. $21 a day to drive a car 200 feet? Glory me.
3. Lack of lighting in rooms. There are no overhead (ceiling) lights. It was hard to work at the table in the suite after sundown. In the first suite we had, of the 4 lamps, 2 had blown bulbs. (Housekeeping came fast to change them.) We were moved by our request to another suite, and one of the lamps had a blown bulb. Maybe since lighting is such an problem, the housekeeping should check these regularly.
4. Website confusion. Prior to coming, I could not understand the 'access to broadband internet.' I called the customer service rep that processed our VVIP card, and asked if I had to bring an ethernet cord or is it wireless? I was told to bring an ethernet cord. I couldn't believe a luxury hotel would say that, so I said, 'we are in a suite. are you SURE I have to go buy an ethernet cord? I live overseas and am flying in!' She said, there are a few in the hotel, but are first come, first served. I said that I was finding this ridiculous, so she said that she'd request one on our reservation. I'm glad that I didn't go buy a cord to carry 6000 miles, as the hotel is WIRELESS. Secondly, again, this parking description on the website. After not understanding if free parking is available, I called the hotel directly about 6 AM Houston time. The woman who answered said, 'Hello, mumble mumble mumble Sorella.' I had no idea if I had the right number. So I said, I have a reservation for a week and wondered if there is free parking. She said, 'No. Sold out today.' I said, astonished, 'Parking sells out???', and she said, 'Parking you pay. Sold out today.' I said, 'Does parking always sell out?' and she replied, 'You pay. Sold out today.' She seemed REALLY insistent that something was 'sold out.' So I asked,' do you mean the hotel is fully booked today?' She said, 'yes. sold out today.' I said, 'I'm asking about parking.' Again, 'You pay parking. Sold out today.' I hung up. It was 10 minutes of someone insisting 'Sold out today.' So I used the 'agent' feature on the website, sent the parking question, and mentioned that I had a complaint about the phone discussion, and may I have the manager's email. The response back was, 'Parking is free. Call the hotel for the manager.' Period. (This is why I thought parking was FREE with the valet if you are at the hotel, added to no one telling me it was free if you park yourself, and $21 if the kid downstairs rolls your car into the garage for you.)

I was there almost a week and saw the manager really get hands on. I saw him at the front desk, bringing out fresh batches of croissants in the breakfast area, and walking around. I was waiting near the lobby one morning, and a gentleman came in and asked at the front desk, 'what brand is your mattresses?' The front desk worker got the manager. Come to find out that the man's wife had stayed at the Sorella, and 'had the best sleep of her life' and he came to buy a mattress! The manager gave him the information and told him that he'd be more than happy to put him in touch with the company that custom makes the mattress called the Hotel Sorella. I want one too. What a wonderful sleep I had as well.

During the week, the hotel was obviously filled with business types. The weekend had more families, kids and young folks. I know why the hotel has a high occupancy rate - its reasonably priced, offers a lot of quality and luxury, but isn't pretentious.

We loved our stay and would definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple