“Very bad service”

Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park
Ranked #178 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We were scheduled to arrive at 3:00. We got here at 4:30 and the two hotel rooms we had requested were neither one "ready". The housekeepers hadn't even gotten to the rooms. We left and went to a nearby restaurant to wait the 30 minutes they told us it would be. We came back two hours later, and neither of the two rooms were ready yet. 5:30 pm and neither room was ready. Then we asked for a discount and were told "we can take $10 off one room". I told them it needed to be on both rooms, which he approved. Then he said the original price was $119 per room. We went back to our original email that quoted us $109 per night, and at that point he offered us $15 per room. We continued to have issues all night, including multiple lies about where/when the "shuttle" could take us. They hung up on the phone twice and then when we did talk to them, they said the manager would call us at 7:00 the next morning. I told him that was too early and not acceptable and he hung up again. Do not stay here. They have poor customer service and it is the worst I have ever experienced. How do you not have a room ready for your customers 3 hours after the original check in time?

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kristen R
Grace H, Starwood Hotels at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We apologize for the unfortunate experience you had with your rooms not being ready and the communication about both that and the shuttle. We’d love the opportunity to be able to discuss this with you further. If you feel comfortable discussing your experience, please email our General Manager, James Bynum, at james.bynum@elementhoustonvintagepark.com. We truly appreciate your feedback and hope we hear from you soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The room was comfortable and I liked the decor. Staff were very responsive to my needs and made me feel welcome. The free food was very good and appreciated! While the hotel was a bit off the beaten path there was a very nice shopping area just down the street which included nice restaurants and a grocery store.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Grace H, Starwood Hotels at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear nmwlsw,

Sounds like you had a great stay! Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. We hope you'll stay with us again for your next trip to Houston.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We recently visited the area for a family wedding. I'm so happy I decided on the Element Hotel. It is a very modern, clean, and friendly place. My husband loved the gym, free parking and the beds. The kids loved the pool and free breakfast. I loved the full kitchen (full size fridge!), microwave!, spacious clean bathroom and the nearby shopping area. My cousins stayed at another older hotel in the area for the same rate and were so jealous of our room and amenities at the Element. I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting the HP/Vintage Park area. The staff was so friendly, and when I asked if we could check out a little after the regular check out time (bc the wedding wasn't starting for another 2 hours) I was pleasantly surprised when the front desk manager said "sure! take your time!".

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and didn't hear a thing at night!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Grace H, Starwood Hotels at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear NYCfamilyof4,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we're glad you had an enjoyable stay in Houston with us. We hope we can welcome you back next time you're in the area. Thank you again for your positive review.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

"I have seen the future and it works." The future has to be that more hotels will be like Element by Westin. We wanted a microwave so we booked a suite. It was out of this world, Full size fridge and freezer, microwave and dishwasher. I have never come across a separate tap for drinking water in a hotel suite before. For the first time in ages we could enjoy using designer cutlery and crockery, and, if we had needed to use them, we had saucepans and frying pans galore. Loads of utensils too. We had linen napkins and a proper corkscrew. It was great to be trusted with such top of the range equipment and we reciprocated by taking care of everything. Sleep was a dream. Double duvets!!!! I could feel how relaxed I was for the rest of the day. There was also a great sofa to watch the tv and a really excellent desk and office chair. The bathroom was luxurious. A highly stylish washbasin and a square showerhead and usual hand shower. None of the usual waffles for breakfast. Corn muffins, old fashioned blueberry muffins, English muffins with spinach, tomato, cheese and egg, alongside top quality cereals, Danish pastries etc etc. Even the cart had been thoroughly thought through. It was exactly the same as a airport cart and so very easy to manoeuvre. The staff were all exceptionally helpful. We didn't have a hotel information folder as they respect you to know how to behave and not have to follow specific rules. The gym had lots of equipment and the laundry was great with four machines and driers and an extra large drier. A really great facet of the hotel was its commitment to ecology and recycling. Element by Westin managed to combine a hotel for business and for pleasure. I only wish there were more of these hotels in America as I would always stay in one.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Grace H, Starwood Hotels at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear BeenAroundTheWorld0,

Thank you writing such a wonderful review for our Element Hotel. We take pride in our hotel and our efforts towards sustainability and it's always a pleasure to see when someone enjoys it.

We hope you'll visit us again on your next trip to Houston.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

In Houston for work and decided to stay at the Element because it is an extended stay hotel and I am an SPG Platinum member. Rooms are nice and the staff started out friendly, but as time went by I began to notice problems with the hotel. The BIGGEST problem is the amount of noise that enters your room from the hall and neighboring rooms. I have been woken up several times by neighboring rooms or the housekeeping staff in an adjacent room. The walls are so thin that you can hear the tv in the next room and people talking in the hallway sound as if they are in your room. The second problem is the housekeeping staff, one day they do a good job then the next time they don't vacuum or dust or run the dishwasher. The one thing they are consistent about is being inconsistent. This goes for the front desk staff as well, make promises to give you Starpoints for poor service but they never make it to your account even after you ask them about it a second time. They do serve breakfast and happy hour snacks but the food is the same every 3 or 4 days and most of the time the hot food is cold, consistent with the repeated food but inconsistent with the quality. Currently one of the elevators has been out for two weeks and is supposedly out for another week while waiting on a part. Has management never heard of overnight shipping or are they to cheap to pay for it while the guests still pay full price for the rooms here? The main reason I am writing this and giving the rating of 2 stars instead of 3, is because of the managers response to my questioning when the elevator would be fixed. His response was 'what would you like me to do to make it up to you?' instead of saying sorry and offering a solution. It is not up to the guest to decide what the hotel should offer as an apology, it is up to the hotel management.

Room Tip: One without neighbors.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank wvugrad2001

Dear wvugrad2001,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of Element Houston Vintage Park. At Element Hotels, we strive to be consistent with our service, and we're extremely sorry that our service was not consistent during your stay. I will be sure to share your comments with our management team so that they can look further into the issues you have been experiencing. Thank you, again, for taking the review our hotel.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I frequently stay in Marriott Courtyards, Hilton Garden Inns etc for business travel, and this is probably my most favorite place when I'm in Houston. Obviously one of the key benefits is proximity to the HP campus for me. But there are other things that I just really like:
- I never sleep well away from home EXCEPT here. There is something about the mattress and the nice heavy duvet that makes me feel really snug
- The windows open to allow fresh air in (great if you're on an upper floor and not concerned about some lunatic climbing in
- love the little kitchenette with glasses, plates, silverware (including wine opener!!)
- I think the breakfast in the morning is great. Don't understand some other reviewer's comments about sugar-loaded stuff. They alwasy have at least 2 types of fresh fruit, and yogurt. Plus cereal. And generally mini breakfast burritos or english muffin sandwiches. And juice....
- Also love the evening happy hour. Free beer and wine, and munchies. I've made this into dinner before now

My only negative comment is:
- no room service/restaurant. If you know in advance, that's OK, because the mall across the street has many eating options. First time here I did not know about the mall, and had to eat a dinner of microwaved frozen food (which the pantry on site sells).

On my last Houston trip I couldn't get into the Element and was panicking, then something came available at the last minute so I was OK. I've already booked ahead for my next trip in April so I don't face that prospect again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LarkspurGirl
Kevin K, Manager at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear LarkspurGirl,

Thanks so much for the feedback. We're so happy you had a pleasant stay with us and that you've enjoyed the various amenities that we have. We appreciate your feedback concerning the lack of room service/restaurant. Those aren't amenities associated with our brand, but we will certainly relay your feedback to our brand team to be considered.

Thanks again for staying with us. We're excited to see you again in April!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. The last time was September 2013. The room was nice and a great size with full size refrigerator and kitchen. The vintage park area is fun with plenty of activities and restaurants. My favorite parts of this hotel is the huge shower and the healthy complementary breakfast. I'll definitely stay here again,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin K, Manager at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear tiffny111,

Thank you for your review! We're so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the shower and breakfast options. Please come back soon. Take care!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Hyatt Place Houston NW Vintage Park
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Houston Northwest
Hilton Garden Inn Houston NW/Willowbrook
Courtyard by Marriott Houston Northwest/Cypress
Best Western Premier Ashton Suites-Willowbrook
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houston Northwest Cy-Fair

Been to Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park? Share your experiences!