“best hotel we ever stayed in”

Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park
Ranked #170 of 504 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Paris, France
“best hotel we ever stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2010

From check-in to check-out, everything went smoothly. Staff are very professional, helpfull. This is a very quiet hotel, sleek and stylish.
We stayed in a suite (42 sq m) which was fabulous : 2 plasma TV, heavenly bed, big US fridge freezer.
This hotel is very relaxing.
HEB grocery is located just 500 yards from the hotel.
Willow brook mall is 2 exits off the freeway from the hotel.
We would definately stay there again

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
elementhouston, Director of Sales at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this review, 20 January 2010
Thank you so much for the nice review! We are so glad that you were our guest. Thank you for noticing some of our wonderful amenities such as the full size Energy Star kitchens with filtered drinking water, hardwood floors throughout your guestroom (it is actually recycled tires!), and lovely furnishings and of course our Heavenly Westin beds! The Vintage Park area that we are nestled in is surrounded by beautiful trees, wonderful restaurants, fun and interesting wine bars and great entertaiment options such as World Class horse racing, two Imax theaters and several outstanding golf courses within five miles of our hotel! Please come back soon and experience our brand of Texas hospitality! Safe Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Upland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

This hotel was ok. Nothing really all that special about it. It is an element the new brand from Westin, so it has all of that brands little touches. These include: parking spaces for hybrids, recycle bins in your room, and other little "green" and "healthy" touches. I didn't really like the free breakfast a lot, but that is a personal taste. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. The room was ok, but the shower head did not work very well. This was frustrating, because the weather was cool and a nice hot shower would be nice, but it wasn't because the shower didn't work correctly. There was no bathtub in my room. I also didn't like how housekeeping wouldn't take my trash out of my little trash can. Since I was there for a week, this was frustrating. Again, this hotel doesn't really have any major problems, because it is new, but it isn't really anything special. The rooms are a little uncomfortable, except for the beds, which are nice. I also liked that they had a little port for you to plug in all of your electronics and chargers and such. Good for a low price, but if they charge typical Houston rates I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Pharmarep1979
elementhouston, Director of Sales at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to communicate your thoughts about our new Element. I wish that your stay would have been more memorable. For instance, we are a LEED Certified green hotel which is why everything that leaves our hotel is recycled. Your "hardwood floors" throughout your guestroom are actually recycled tires. Your guestroom has filtered drinking water as we don't utilize paper, plastic or styrofoam. Our full stocked kitchens in each room are Energy Star rated. Our bathrooms contain rainhead shower heads with separate shower wands and our toilets are dual flush for water conservation. We use 70% renewable energy to heat and cool the hotel. The breakfast is made to order and offers a "healthy option" such as egg white breakfast wraps and fresh fruit smoothie shooters each day. I hope that you can see that Element has alot of unique qualities to offer. Please come back again and let us show you our wonderful Westin amenities and Texas hospitality. Happy New Year!
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2009

Just got back from a 5 night stay at Element Houston. It was great! We were very impressed. Very clean, contemporary decor, quiet. The kitchen was a huge plus. We traveled with our two little girls ( 3 and 8 weeks) so the kitchen and complimentary breakfast were a huge plus. The kitchen had brand new appliances and a full fridge. It was well stocked with plates, knives, forks, spoons and a cork screw. There were also a few pots and pans. They even give you a sponge and dish detergent!!! The cleaning lady filled the dish washer with our dirty plates and utensils during each cleaning. Another plus is that they keep hot water and tea down in the lobby all day. The bed was sooo comfy. All of the front desk attendants and cleaning/maintenance people were soo friendly and helpful. The location was great (for us) too. There is an HEB supermarket a 3 minute drive away. For those of you who don't know what HEB is it is like Wholefoods meets Walmart. It is a one stop shop which includes many organic options and brands. I wish a store like this existed in the NYC area. The shopping center nearby also has several restaurants and a Starbucks. Stay away from Pizza Fusion though. It was way too overpriced for what you get.
There were only a few negatives...
The two queen bed studio worked well for us but those with older kids may find it a bit crowded. Some of the utensils and coffee cups during breakfast had old food stains which happens at many places but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. The room's thermostat was a bit off. Seventy-two degrees was steamy hot but seventy-one got a bit too chilly at night.

We will definitely stay here again especially if the rates remain low.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2009

From check-in to check-out, the Element is an experience in itself. The front desk was very professional. Very quiet atmosphere. We traveled with a 4 year old, 2 year old and 13 month old and the room was surprisingly very child-friendly. I wasn't afraid that they were going to break a lamp or anything because the furniture and fixtures were modern and simple. The rain shower was absolutely AWESOME ! (including their shampoo and body wash in convenient dispensers so you don't have to fidget with a tiny bottle in the shower). The kitchenette had everything anyone would need especially if you're staying for more than 1 night with kids. The free breakfast in the morning was great but needed faster replenishment which I believe someone else also commented about in a previous review that I found helpful before heading out to the Element for our own stay. They are very environmentally friendly which is a big plus in my book :) We had a one bedroom space with a sliding door separating the bedroom from the living space and the bed was just like how they put it: heavenly ! I'm seriously considering purchasing the entire bed package from the westin at home website in the future. I will always pick the Element by Westin wherever I travel from now on :)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2009

My family stayed here over the Thanksgiving holiday for two nights. This hotel is down the street from Hewlett Packard's Houston corporate offices, and was no doubt built directly to answer their need for affordable and comfortable business-class housing. Competing properties across the street were asking $140 a night, so it was a no-brainer to try out this Starwood-owned property at under $90 a night.

We have two small children, a 1 yr. old and a 4 yr old. Let's start with the real pluses about this property. The rooms are wonderful for businessmen and families alike. Every room has both a king-sized bed AND a fold-out sofa. . . simply ask for the linens for the foldout at the front desk. The kitchen in every room is a true highlight. It was equipped with enough utensils, bowls, and pans for my wife to prepare the dish we were bringing to our family's thanksgiving potluck right there in the room. Bravo.

The area is very convenient as well. There is a brand-new, enormous HEB grocery store within walking distance, as well as a really nice new shopping center with quite a few dining options, a wine / cocktail bar, shopping, and more. As a native Houstonian, I recall that this center was originally going to house anchor stores like Pottery Barn, etc. but the economic downturn made many of the bigger-box retailers put there plans on hold. The shopping center sat fairly empty for a while, but it appears to be starting to fill out and thrive a bit more. . . great news for the area, and for guests of this hotel.

Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and service from the front desk and housekeeping was friendly and not at all intrusive.

A nice touch was the evening "happy hour". . . complimentary beer (and perhaps snacks) from 6 - 7 p.m. if I recall correctly? I never actually saw anyone serving drinks, but I can say that when I went down to the small "snack closet" at the front desk (well-stocked with soft drinks, a few beer selections, snack food, etc) during these hours the Amstel Light I selected was complimentary.

The downside? I found the breakfast service a bit lacking. The selection itself was more than adequate. . . fresh fruit, granola, a few cereal choices, a variety of breads and pastries, and even what appeared to be some breakfast tacos of some sort, accompanied by milk, juices, coffee, etc. The hotel was very busy when we stayed, though, and the small dining and serving areas were very crowded. The one employee that was assigned to busing tables and keeping the food and drinks stocked at the buffet simply didn't stand a chance with the crowds. It was very difficult to even procure a clean glass for juice, and the cereals, pastries, and hotplate areas were empty more often than full. Just as he would arrive with replenishment, the demand would exceed the supply. I saw a lot of families "making do" with no drinks or skipping the crowd altogether. This was really the only thing about my stay that wasn't without flaws, but it was significant enough for me to dock my review one-star. Two small kids and the risk of no food or beverage when their tummies are hungry can be a pretty big fiasco :-)

The rooms are outfitted with great televisions, DVD players, and even an auxilliary-input box where you could plug your ipod or mobile entertainment device directly into the television (a nice touch I can't imagine many will use.)

My wife would like me to add that, if you wake in the night and are bothered by a blinking light and can't seem to locate the source, it is coming from the water filter in the kitchen sink. She was apparently kept awake by it, but once she found it, was able to put a towel over the light and return to sleep.

The decor here is modern and minimalistic. It's a bit like living inside a giant Mac computer. . . lots of stark white and plastic in the common areas. I found the aesthetic to be a bit cold and institutional (from the outside this place could be a sanitarium. . . you would have a hard time picking it out as a hotel), but I was mostly looking for a place to sleep, not an exercise in high design. And for that, Element more than delivered.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank smallpoet
elementhouston, Director of Sales at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this review, 7 December 2009
Thank you very much for your review. I am so sorry that your experience with breakfast was less than perfect. Our breakfast "RISE" is cooked to order (individual breakfast wraps, pretzel rolls, etc) with a healthy or vegetarian option each day. We had a large group in over Thanksgiving and they all were departing together thus the large crowd in our lobby. Our evening "RELAX" is served Monday-Thursday with complimentary regional beers and wines with appetizer pairings. I hope you can visit again and enjoy "RELAX". We are a green "LEED" certified hotel, thus most of our furnishings are recycled products of some type. For instance, the "hardwood" floors in your guestroom were actually recycled tires. Each guestroom enjoys filtered drinking water and everything that leaves our hotel is recycled. We thank you again for your visit and hope that you return soon.

The staff of Element by Westin Houston
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

I am a "road warrior" and am on the road at least two to three weeks a month. I had heard wonderful things about Starwood/Westin's newest brand, Element by Westin, but until you stay here, you just do not understand how FANTASTIC this hotel is! First of all as you walk in the front door to the beautiful lobby, their signature scent greets you just makes you feel great and calm, which after a long day of travel really picks you up The staff is so professional and responsive to anything that you need, the cleanliness is great, but the best part is the rooms! All rooms have full kitchens with stainless steel appliances, the bathrooms are unbeliveable, the showers to die for and of course the best thing.....the Heavenly Beds...they are a little cloud of heaven!!
The complimentary breakfast each morning is not your usual sausage and eggs, they have something new and different each day, organic breakfast wraps, yogurts, scones, etc....and the weekday nightly reception aptly called "Relax" does just that..makes you relax! A variety of wines, beers and wonderful appetizers.....it is truly a treat!
When you have a chance, stay here, you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED and fall in love with the brand and this hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RoadWarrior0829
houston, tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

Husband and I stayed at this new hotel for his birthday. Had a great time! The hotel is different from any other hotel you've been in. It's very modern and simplistic in design, yet very homey and cozy feeling. You will love the fact that there's a KITCHEN in your room with a full size fridge, dish washer, stove, etc. Also, there's a dining table that rolls out with chairs underneath...very cool. Lots of space to move around. We had a separate living area and the "bedroom" actually had a sliding door to it...nice touch. We were there for one night to celebrate hubby's birthday with dinner out and a great wine bar close by (Brix), but this is also a GREAT hotel for business travelers. My husband loved the large glass-topped desk and large sectional couch where you could sit and do some work on your laptop and still feel as if you're in your own cozy home.
Breakfast was great, and all the staff was very friendly and attentive when we were there.
Stay at this hotel...you won't be disappointed!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple