“Element Hotel gets two bog thumbs up”

Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park
Ranked #180 of 517 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Rome, Georgia
“Element Hotel gets two bog thumbs up”
Reviewed 13 May 2010

The location of the hotel was beautiful and safe. Tucked away in Vintage Park where there are lots of dining and shopping options. I work for Hewlett Packard and the hotel provided complimentary shuttle service to and from the campus. I thought it was great that they had a full, hot, complimentary breakfast that consisted of breakfast wraps and English muffins. After I got off work, the hotel had a happy hour that my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed. They served great wine, beer and food. At bedtime I got to relax in their very comfortable Westin heavenly beds. My wife and I enjoyed our stay immensely and we will definitely return soon.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2010

great looking hotel with a great lobby,communal areas and staff. the hotel is very high end in its fixtures and fitting, the hotel room has a fully fitted out kitchen with dishwasher, microwave etc and was very clean like the rest of the room. The walk in shower was a very large square headed, and great, also the mattress and beds were some of the best i have slept in. The breakfast was very good with a good choice with plenty of healthy options. The only reason why i marked this hotel down was because of the breakfast burritos, you has to wait over 20 mins to get your hands on one and the on the last morning i give up as it took over 30 mins to bring any out.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 April 2010

It's new. It's clean. And it has the heavenly bed and a comfortable sitting area. I will probably stay here again when I'm in the area.

I didn't love it, however -- my expectations were probably too high -- and it felt like a stripped down, spartan version of a Westin, or maybe a very nice dorm room. Some negatives to note:

-This was my first stay at an Element, in a studio suite. There was not a separate bedroom area or sleeping alcove and the bed is only a few feet from the refrigerator, which was not quiet.

-Starwood properties usually have very good bathroom amenities, but not here. In the shower there are wall-mounted dispensers of average quality shampoo and body wash. I had to ask at the front desk for a bar of soap to use in the sink.

-Much more hallway noise and room to room noise than in Westins or W's. Also, in the hallway you can hear conversations in the rooms. The last refuge of the road warrior, turning on the fan for white noise, doesn't work because there is only 'heat' or 'cool', no full time fan. The window only opens about 5 inches.

-The evening reception promises "hand-selected regional wines . . . and enticing appetizers" which turned out to be some 1.5 liter bottles of Woodbridge wine and cut up celery sticks next to a bowl of cream cheese. That was it for wine or food. (there was beer too) However, the lobby and adjacent patio provide a pleasant area for socializing with colleagues, and a family was BBQ'ing their dinner.

-Breakfast was good -- cereal, eggs, breakfast burrito, yogurt, etc.
-Wireless worked well.

-You need a car here. The adjacent shopping mall has a few restaurants and there is a morning/evening shuttle to HP, but there is not much else around and there are no sidewalks to walk anywhere safely.

Overall, it's a good low-cost option for the business traveler, but I shouldn't have believed all the hype.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
elementhouston, Director of Sales at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to host your overnight stay in Northwest Houston. I am sorry that you did not find your stay impressive. Element is a unique brand that is both environmentally conscious and speaks to the travelers who appreciate value for their dollar. We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast. We offer three wine choices each evening during "relax" along with two or more imported beers that is complimentary to all of our guests along with an attendant to serve them. We always offer at least two appetizers (which typically range from quesadillas to cookouts for our guests on Wednesday evenings). We offer a full sofa and full energy star kitchen in every room with filtered drinking water and ice maker for your enjoyment. I apologize for the noise that seemed to bother you! We do everything possible to ensure our guests have a relaxing night sleep. Our area "Vintage Park' is new, but does offer everything from wine bars, upscale and unique dining options to a full scale mall (we provide complimentary transportation to/from if needed) just two exits up the freeway. Additionally, we have bicycles to ride around our area that is both safe and beautiful. I hope you visit Element again in your travels. We would love to have you stay with us again.

Live well,
Management
Washington, DC
Reviewed 9 April 2010

This hotel is a little out of the way if you have meetings downtown (great if your meetings are with Hewlett Packard) but it's nestled against green trees and a short drive to restaurants and a terrific H.E.B.
The design is very Scandinavian, minimal details and light, open spaces. The lobby is modern and inviting. The rooms have everything you need for one night or for a long stay. The kitchen was well appointed with a full size fridge, dishwasher, toaster and microwave convection oven. I was disappointed I only had one night.
The complimentary Wi-Fi is always appreciated as is wine and beer social hour and solid breakfast, both included with the room.
I love this concept from Westin. It is modern and green but still accessible and comfortable.

Dallas, TX
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I recently stayed at the Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park. It is my new favorite hotel in Houston. The guestrooms were large with a full kitchen (loved having ice in my freezer), a great bath with a huge rain head shower head, the bed was fantastic as well. I am a Starwood Preferred Guest so having a Starwood property on the Northwest side of town across the street from Hewlett Packard is great. The staff was very helpful, the complimentary full breakfast was good and had healthy items as choices, and I love the complimentary beer/wine and snacks when I returned to the hotel after working all day. I would definitely come back again. This is also a green hotel, so I felt good as a traveler to know that everything was recycled and reused

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2010

Granted this hotel is brand new which naturally means it will be clean and up-to-date, but my 5-stars is for more than that. The layout of the room, amenities included, etc. were just outstanding. For example, there's a small kitchnette in the room that includes quality kitchenware, etc. but it's not intrusive our in the way because of the layout. If I want a kitchnette, it's great. If I don't it doesn' seem to be taking up space unecessarily. My whole experience was fantastic, especially given the price I paid for the room which was about 40% less than Garden Inn or Courtyard.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
elementhouston, Director of Sales at Element by Westin Houston Vintage Park, responded to this review, 20 January 2010
Thank you so much for your review of our new Element by Westin. We are so excited that you enjoyed your stay and experienced our Eco chic property. All Elements are LEED Certified Green, and all of our cleaning products are Green Seal which is great for allergies and wonderful for our environment. Please come back soon. We appreciate your visit!
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 January 2010

From check-in to check-out, everything went smoothly. Staff are very professional, helpfull. This is a very quiet hotel, sleek and stylish.
We stayed in a suite (42 sq m) which was fabulous : 2 plasma TV, heavenly bed, big US fridge freezer.
This hotel is very relaxing.
HEB grocery is located just 500 yards from the hotel.
Willow brook mall is 2 exits off the freeway from the hotel.
We would definately stay there again

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Thank you so much for the nice review! We are so glad that you were our guest. Thank you for noticing some of our wonderful amenities such as the full size Energy Star kitchens with filtered drinking water, hardwood floors throughout your guestroom (it is actually recycled tires!), and lovely furnishings and of course our Heavenly Westin beds! The Vintage Park area that we are nestled in is surrounded by beautiful trees, wonderful restaurants, fun and interesting wine bars and great entertaiment options such as World Class horse racing, two Imax theaters and several outstanding golf courses within five miles of our hotel! Please come back soon and experience our brand of Texas hospitality! Safe Travels!