“La Quinta on Normandy”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston East at Normandy
Ranked #198 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I had a great experience. I was a little concerned about the location as I had seen other reviews noting the hotel was near a not-so-great part of town. I had no issues or concerns about this once I arrived. There is plenty of parking right in front of the hotel and a security guard was on duty. Check in and out was quick and easy. The room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was pretty good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston East at Normandy

Reviewed 23 June 2014

very close to interstate, good location to downtown Houston and IAH, friendly staff, nice pool and hot tub, big rooms and excellent Wifi, pet-friendly, restaurants close-by, the braekfast had a very wide variety

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Staff is accommodating, room is quite & clean. Great location for our needs. Good value for room. Breakfast is just right. Location is ideal for our needs. The bed is comfortable, bedding could use an update with lightweight down comforter and down pillows. We bring our own if we're driving.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Anderson
Reviewed 14 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This is the first BAD review I had to write of any of my stays for sometime. Especially a LaQuinta as they are the hotel of choice for me and my family. I've always appreciated the value in LaQuinta's for my short stay vacations. We are a family of 4, two adults, two teens and the family dog. The price was always good, the services most great, and rooms/amenities more than acceptable for the price. But this particular La Quinta was the exception to the rule.

Check-in was fast and service with a smile. I like that no matter what the price. But shortly after unloading the tribe, my wife and daughter noted a thuggish logging man standing outside his room, just ogling them. At least until I appeared around the corner with a 90lb dog and large 14y/o son. Strike two comes within 3 minutes of closing the door, my daughter has to use the bathroom, and noted the toilet doesn't flush. So I call the front desk, and they did send the "maid" over to confirm its broken. Mr. thug all the while still standing outside his door.

No I know some might say I was jumping to conclusions, but spend a lifetime living in the inner city, and you know when someone is up to no good. So after seeing the same behaviour, I go the the manager and lodge my concerns. Nothing comes of that. So back to my room to gather the folks before heading out to lunch, I decide to see if it's safe for my kids to use the swimming pool. It's down the hall past my room, through the external access door. While standing there for a couple minutes, guess who comes out with a buddy? Yup and trying to give me the stink eye. Sorry I don't scare easily, and not especially with a Texas CHL. Those from Texas knows what this is. But I spoke to them nicely, and head back inside.

Unfortunately that little adventure just confirmed my suspicions, and I had the curtail the activities for the wife and kids to swim or go the the fitness room. I'm not looking for confrontation, but trying to avoid it at all cost. As a father though I will do whatever to protect my family. Thank God it didn't get worse. We left for a couple hours after that hoping the situation would resolve itself. Before leaving the desk clerk did try to sympathize and offer to move us to another room. I accepted and asked that it be ready on our return.

True to their word La Quinta did move us. Though it took some convincing to the new desk clerk of what had been promised., Especially since the two knuckle heads where still lurking about. I was ready to dump my $109 and move to another hotel at my cost. She did move us to the second floor, and didn't hear any more from the shady fellows. However, as soon as we get to the new room and decide to order some pizza, we noted the phone cable was broken. I was able to patch it quickly, but they never fixed the issue.

Happy to say this was just supposed to be a 1 day stay. If not I would have made it short due to all we experienced. I strong discourage using the location. Very sketchy neighborhood, sketchy people inside and outside the motel. There are better accommodations around, you just need to be a bit picky and chose wisely. Hope this helps someone from frustration.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank walkertechie
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The service at this location was great. I came in real later that night and they kept my room ready! The hotel is situated in a difficult part of Houston, but from the inside you would never know. I felt safe and comfortable. The staff was nice and attentive. The hotel was clean and fresh. If given the opportunity, I would stay there agaun

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business