“Not a good stay”

Ranked #361 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
“Not a good stay”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The hotel is an older one. It was fairly clean but not a place I would recommend or stay again. We had two rooms in the 2nd room the bathroom door did not close, there was no towel bar to hang your towels and the sink stopper was in a closed position and would not stay open. Also, my in-law got stuck in the elevator twice. This was not a good experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel to get my wyndham reward points credited to my account. I live in Houston and the hotel is near my home. I arrived there after work and rented a room with two beds. Decided to take my mom with me for a girls night out :) Anyway, when we arrived around 4pm, the staff was very nice and professional. We walked to our room and when we got inside, I wasn't pleased. The bathroom was small, the room was very small, the walls are thin and the lighting wasn't great, but it was clean. So, keeping in mind this is a motel, I lowered my standards a bit lol. Anyway, it was late and I needed to get some ice and water. So, I left my room and was dressed for bed in a top and pants (I was fully covered) and went to the front desk. I asked the staff member where I could find ice and water, but when I approached the desk I encountered a STRONG alcohol smell. She told me that the items were near the bar...They have a bar right near the lobby. It is not sectioned off. I didn't feel comfortable walking near a bar that had about 5 men there drinking to get water and ice. Anyway, I went to get it. When I tried purchasing water the machine ate my 2 DOLLARS, so I hurriedly went back to the front desk and told her. She told me to talk to the barman to get my money. I expressed to her that i did not feel comfortable walking to the bar where men were drinking and already staring at me to ask for my 2 dollars. She insisted that I go over there. At this point I was very upset because I felt she should've walked those 15 paces to the barman or called him and told him what i needed. Anyway, I walked to the bar and waited for 5minutes while these drinking men stared at me before the barman asked me what I needed. I told him about the situation and then he told me to go back to the front desk and tell her to give me the money out of her register. I then told him that she instructed me to come to him. He brushed me off and told me to talk to her. So i walked back over to her, and asked for my money. She told me to go back to him and I told her that he sent me to her. She then yells across the lobby area asking him what to do. He yells back and tells her to give me money from her register. She then handed me my 2 dollars. TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL. She had the money in her register. When I told her that I did not want to walk to a bar to get my 2 dollars, she should've done what was necessary and gave me my money right there. I don't drink so a bar is not my scene. I don't like being anywhere near them. I shouldn't have had to tell her this to make her understand that I was uncomfortable. Plus, people do dangerous things when they are drunk and i didn't want a drunkard following me to my room. Ramada, get some front desk staff that have some COMMON SENSE. I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tai_Mc
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I am a frequent traveller passing through Houston and being forced to have an overnight stay and decided on a change after slipping standards at some of my regular hotels that I have been using. On a search of Booking.com Ramada came up at a tad under US$ 70 which i thought was a great rate as others like my usual stop Comfort Suites and Best Western Plus (the new one) were over US$ 100. The room was in great condition and while the bathroom was a tad small (i can imagine someone of a decent size finding it tough to move around) the room was very well laid out. I got what i believe was a kitchen suite though i just booked a normal room and this came with microwave, mid fridge and coffee machine - none of which i used. Breakfast at the airport hotels is a predictable affair but what made this breakfast experience different was the lovely young lady who ensured the buffet was topped up, checked on everyone to make sure they had what they needed and was pleasant and on top of things. I know it seems a small thing but usually at budget style hotels the breakfast is a matter of here it is eat up and leave. This young lady just humanized the whole simple experience, hope she gets recognized for bringing some light to an otherwise hit and run experience in the morning rush of a busy traveller. The front desk staff were pleasant enough, again this was one of my reasons for switching hotels was the poor front desk personnel at other airport hotels. The bus schedule again was different as the drivers were helpful, polite and rushed to help with luggage even though it looked heavy (and was) at the other hotels they just seem to sit in the van expecting you to load and carry for yourself. So well done Ramada, I will now look for your hotels in other locations as i travel and hope they match up to the great value and service presented at your airport hotel in Houston. One small issue i had is that there are TWO Ramada at the airport so you have to make sure you know which one you are going to. I saw a Ramada Van and about to jump in and go to the wrong hotel, lucky i checked with the driver, if you don't have a phone then you need to make sure you are getting on the right bus. Oh and before i forget, there is a 24 hour diner literally 30 yards from the hotels front door which does mediocre but ok food for dinner and i suspect all the other meals. It's nothing fancy but decent budget food on the go. And how could i forget the bed - you just fall in to a plump highly padded bed and fall asleep instantly, lovely!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vanilla_Custard
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My first room smelled of urine, after changing it to a different one, noticed a dead black bug on the carpet. While laying in bed saw another bug crawling on the ceiling and ants in my bathroom.... The staff's uniforms were dirty and full of spots. The furniture in the lobby looked also dirty and all in all it looked horrible. Shuttle bus was from another hotel and after calling twice it finally came after 50 minutes to pick me up from the airport, I will never stay there again, this was the worst hotel for me yet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Masterot
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We were on a stop over from LA to Puerto Vallarta, and wanted a budget hotel that wouldn't break the bank. Be careful what you wish for folks. After our 20 minute ride from the airport to what looked like the end of a dirt road we arrived at the Ramada in what must have been happy hour. The bar which was just off the lobby had some happy loud revellers which made me very weary but luckily our rooms were far away from the party. The room, while serviceable, had the distinct smell of dampness but we were so tired we dismissed and went straight to bed. Breakfast which was included was passable, the woman tending to our needs was the high light. Couldn't wait to get out of there fast enough. This hotel holds up to the adage, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The IAH (on JFK Blvd.) was a nail biting and confusing experience since the "courtesy van" operation schedules had changed, no longer on a 30 min. shuttle basis but rather a "wait and see" if it shows up for one's pick up. Evidently management decided to bring in an outside firm (drivers) to perform their scheduled shutttle driving by consolidating The Red Roof Inn as well as the Ramada and not having a set schedule etc. This made often times a wait for the van from the airport of almost an Hour (unacceptable) and unpredictable times from the Ramada to the airport. Please fix it!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Bardomiano T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
Ramada Houston Intercontinental Airport East
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Houston Intercontinental Airport South
Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Bush IAH South
Best Western Plus JFK Inn & Suites
Comfort Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport

Been to Ramada Houston Intercontinental Airport South? Share your experiences!