“WANT BUGS, RATS AND DISRESPECT ? THIS IS YOUR HOTEL !!!”

Americas Best Value Inn- near NRG Park/Medical Center
Ranked #280 of 507 Hotels in Houston
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“WANT BUGS, RATS AND DISRESPECT ? THIS IS YOUR HOTEL !!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed at this dump while visiting MD ANDERSON MEDICAL CENTER, JUNE 2013. The ONLY THING GOOD about this hotel is the location; it is only about a mile from the hospital. If you want a nasty, low-life, redneck-type hotel, filled with bugs and rodents, owned and operated by prejudice, wealthy India and Mexican persons, THEN THIS IS YOUR HOTEL !!!

I have been associated with the hotel business for over FORTY years and I have never seen a dump like this one or owners with such stingy, penny pinching, hateful, haughty, prejudice and disrespectful attitudes.

The girl at the front desk, who appeared to be a Mexican, seemed distant, RUDE, hateful, prejudice and was very argumentative with us when we checked in. I had called and told her earlier on the road, that I could not climb stairs and this same person told me, on the phone, There was a non-smoking ground floor room available and she would save it for me. When we got there, of course, there was no ground floor room available except a smoking room. We took the smoking room anyway and everything we had in the room still smells like cigarette smoke to this day !!!

The lobby (if you can call that a lobby) was so cramped and small that you could not turn around without brushing up against the cheap lobby furniture !!! It was highly cluttered with pamphlets, newspapers and smelled of curry and food from India !!!

The picture on the web site of this property is misleading; the hotel is squeezed between two adjoining streets and it is difficult to get into the parking lot without being rear-ended by traffic on Main Street. The entrance is right out on the street and it is a huge bump when you drive into the cramped parking lot !!! The parking lot is cluttered with hotel equipment, hotel vans, the owners Lexus and it winds around many obstacles; people park all over the place. You have to drive around these hurdles to get to your room. There is a TACO SHACK next door to the hotel and their mess could be seen from our room; not to mention the all-night noise at the drive-thru each and every night !!! There was also a sandwich / hot dog stand in the parking lot taking up space at the rear of the hotel. There was a dead bird and a dead rodent in the parking lot for us to look at out the window of our room. They were NEVER REMOVED BY THE STAFF and we were there for FOUR DAYS !!!

This horrible hotel has outside room access and the parking spaces are so narrow you can hardly get out of your car !!! There was something sticky on the parking lot by our room and my shoes stuck fast to the pavement !!! I asked a man, who was washing the owners brand new Lexus, if he would wash the lot by our room, but he was a Mexican who did not speak English; he ignored me.

After that, upon entering our room, we found it to be in need of UPDATING !!! The room decor was early 1960's throughout the very small cramped hovel. The furniture was old, scarred, stained and the curtains were cheap looking. The room had a border around the ceiling that went out with ladies hats !!!

When we switched on the lights between the beds, they went on and off, on and off and made a frying sound as if there was a bad switch. The room was hot and damp smelling when we arrived, so we turned the A/C unit on 70 degrees and left to get some dinner. When we returned, the room was still HOT, DAMP and smelled like a mildewed sauna !!! We had to turn the temperature on the A/C unit down to 50 degrees to get it to cool. Even then, the room was semi-hot for our entire stay !!!

I stepped into the bathroom for a shower and noticed the ceiling exhaust fan was about to fall into the floor !!! The ceiling was all cracked around it and it made an enormously LOUD whining and rattling noise !!! There were bugs that ran for their lives when I switched on the light. You could not switch on the light in the bathroom without the fan also coming on. Then when I got into the shower, I turned on the water and it immediately began to fill the tub !!! I tried to work with the drain/plug piece, but HAIR started coming up in the tub with me from the drain !!! I poured hot-scalding water from the coffee pot down the drain several times and it would help, but then a day later the problem came back !!! When I filled the coffee pot for this operation, the sink faucets would leak out all over the sink counter and drip in the floor !!! The management was told, but no actions were take to resolve ANY of the rooms problems !!!

I got right out of the shower and went to the phone to call for help. However, the phone had a buzzing noise on the line and it was almost impossible for the from desk person to hear me. They sent the same Mexican man, who was washing the owner's Lexus, down to repair the hair problem. This ignorant soul came a total of FOUR TIMES and NEVER SOLVED THE HAIR-IN-TUB PROBLEM. The manager / owner came once, but he was too stupid and too stingy to repair anything !!! There was hair and about ten inches of water in the tub to slosh around in, every time we took a shower !!! Also, the shower curtain was too short and not long enough to seal off the shower water. The floor was soaked with water each time a shower was taken !!!

Then there was the toilet problem; each time we flushed the toilet, it would not go down all the way and took about a minute to flush !!! It was very slow draining even if you just had to pee !!!

When we turned down our beds, we noticed that the sheets were too small for the beds. They came out and would be in a mess after just laying there for a few minutes. This would be like placing a double sheet on a queen size bed !!!

After wrestling with the bed clothes, we decided to relax a little and switched on the OLD TUBE-TYPE television. EVERY CHANNEL WAS SO FUZZY you could barely make out the shows. Also, there was very few fuzzy channels to watch since we got only about 20 channels !!!

Upon awakening to LOUD NOISES from A LOUD RUDE HOUSEKEEPING CART outside our room, our room was entered by the maid with a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door knob. Thank goodness we were clothed in decency when she barged in.

After this, we walked through the sticky / cluttered parking lot to the lobby (more like a closet) to get some free breakfast. I walked into the cramped lobby and over in the right corner was a small table with a small clear cabinet of pastries. I got a plate and a bowl for cereal and began to choose my breakfast delights. The donut and twist pastry I got was as hard as a rock and there was NO MILK for my cereal. The only other thing available was a dirty coffee pot with a rack of sugar, creamers and stir sticks beside it !!! Oh yeah, I almost forgot; there was a bowl of spoiled, dried out and over-ripe fruit on another table, but I did not get any of those fruits for fear of being poisoned !!!

After that wonderful and un-fresh breakfast, my roommate decided to visit the pool. He returned very soon saying that the pool was nasty, cluttered with pool equipment, smelled stagnant and left a slime on his body when he came out of it. He had to shower TWICE to remove the stench that was left on him from the NASTY POOL !!!

In my entire life, I have NEVER STAYED AT A HOTEL AS BAD AS THIS ONE !!! I highly recommend that you avoid this property at ANY cost !!!!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL !!!!

Ed H of Chattanooga, TN

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms at this hotel. Stay somewhere else !!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank edward37379

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2012

On my honeymoon night we had reservations at another INN. Due to a computer error and a Kenny Chesney concert we lost our room. We saw the Econo Lodge down the road and decided to give it a try due to everyone being fully booked. Upon entering the room we noticed cigarette burns in the comforter and roaches on the counter running from the light. When I went to use the restroom I come to find that the toilet didn't even work. I will be back to Houston down the road, but coming back to the Econo Lodge here will be an absolute Last Resort.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mykal K
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed 5 March 2012

What impressed me about this hotel is it's compassionate intention. The focus of this location is to serve patients and their families who are in Houston to receive treatment at the cancer medical centers. They serve those who are going through a tough time, not those who are on vacation, and this sets their priorities. The pool area is soon to be converted into a larger reception and waiting area, to accommodate those waiting for the shuttle to the medical center. This hotel will turn down the opportunity to make more money on event visitors, to keep the prices low for medical center visitors. They aren't making a lot of money, but are consistently incurring good karma! One of the priorities is to keep the rooms very clean for patients whose physical health is fragile. I found the staff to be kind, warm, and caring. So if you are looking for luxury on vacation, this isn't created for you. If you and your family need an inexpensive but clean room, kind staff, and a free shuttle to the medical center, this hotel is here serve you in your time of need. We stayed here while attending a meeting, and found it felt good to stay here, and didn't miss the luxury.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Patricia G
Knoxville
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The room was just OK, but for a total of over $80 a night, not really worth it. The "suite" included a small room with a many-stained couch, a ceiling fan that wouldn't turn off, and very little light! The "kitchen" had a small dining table, a microwave, small fridge, and a counter. No sink!
As for the free continental breakfast, cheap, cheap, cheap. The only bread (white bread) looked like something from the day-old bakery.
Would not recommend this one to any friend of mine! The only good thing about it was it was within six miles of downtown Houston's convention center and the managers were nice enough.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank jeanreif
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We arrived from Arizona on Thanksgiving night to spend a nice holiday with a brother in Houston, only to find him in the hospital dying of cancer. It was unplanned, but just by chance, to be close to the hospital, we found this Econo lodge. The employees were very kind and attentive, the room and bed were very comfortable, we had free daily papers, coffee, shuttle to the hospital (cost $13 daily for parking @ the hospital) and they even discounted our room to ease the unexpected expense. What a wonderful group of employees! I would like to say THANK YOU for your compassion. We stayed here 3 nights, and although I never got a full nights sleep, it was one of the best hotels for the price we have found. If you are on a budget and looking for great place to stay in the medical center area of Houston, this is your place!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cajunbully
Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel because my mother in law is in St. Luke's and we found this one at the last minute after midnight. It looks small and located in a turnaround so hard to find but the rooms are clean and we only paid $58. Service was good and it is a gated area which made us feel safe beds were comfortable and it had all the necessities: mini fridge, microwave shampoo, iron, etc. Offered free coffee and donuts. Not bad for a last minute hotel

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank giggles42
Newton, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I reserved 2 rooms, both non-smoking. They gave me one non and one smoking! The smell was horrible. The person at the front desk did not do anything to make right what they messed up. The parking space was tight and not enough. There is a reason that this hotel's reviews are low. Not a good experience at all!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business