“Perfectly Pleasant Property...”

Ranked #349 of 511 Hotels in Houston
New York City, New York
“Perfectly Pleasant Property...”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Nice reception by the manager, I took his suggestion for a non-upgraded room for more peace and quiet. Breakfast downstairs included basic eggs and bacon, tea, coffee, cereal, etc. Perfectly fine for a quick trip. I was hesitant to give 5 stars for a basic property, but for its price group, I really can't ask for more. :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
houston
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We got this as a reward night for a last-minute booking. No real complaints. Room was great, didn't hear any hall noise unless you were in the bathroom right next to it. Met all our needs...comfy bed, clean room, good hot breakfast, safe feeling. Gated parking lot was nice since on feeder road to I-45.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was stuck in Houston during a very large event week and did not have a hotel booked. Not knowing the area or the chain I booked a week at this location. I asked to see a room because as soon as I was trying to check in the lobby and the other "guests" seemed seedy. When I asked to see a room before checking in the man behind the desk told I might as well get my bags because I was going to be paying for the night anyway. He then gave me a room key and number, when I went to the room to look it had someone in it! I went to the counter again and told him, he got angry with me like I did something wrong. The barb wire fencing around the place tells you this is not a safe place, it took a call to the corporate office to get my money back because he charged me for all the nights immediately. This is not clean nor is it safe.

Room Tip: The best tip I could give you would be to chose another hotel or sleep in your car!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank angela b

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Plano, Texas
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We had to leave in a hurry and I booked this hotel based upon other tripadvisor recommendations and it was a good choice. The hotel is right off I 45 and we didn't hear road traffic from the highway. Room was clean, bed was comfortable and breakfast was more than adequate! We enjoyed our stay and the price was very reasonable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank homeocsg
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Real Eggs for Breakfast, Clean room and great mattress! Oh,, and don't forget the staff. Great People. Had an issue with shower not getting hot enough. Maintenance had it fixed promptly.

Easy access off I 45 with several restaurants nearby. Stayed at several other hotels in Houston until I found this one

I highly recommend. Great value for the money. Will be headed back that way soon.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
nomie2g
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Depending on what you're looking for this hotel is ok. It isn't far from the airport. Close to many restaurants and supermarket. The room is larger than most hotel rooms. Has a fridge and microwave. I slept very well on the mattress. The area isn't the best. But the hotel is very quiet. I did not like the low hung shower head in the bathroom. Also, water pressure was super low. The front desk check-in was fairly fast. But don't look for service with a smile. Not the friendliest bunch.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank nomie2g
San Antonio
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Right when I check in, I ask for a free upgrade to a suite with whirlpool tub. They say no problem. So far, so good. I also notice that the parking lot is gated and opens when activated using a guest key, another plus! Then I get the the room. It's AWESOME! You walk-in to a 'living room' with a sofa and tv, which then transitions to a bedroom with a giant tub in it. This was all great, except the door handle didn't work properly, and the staff couldn't fix it, so they moved me back to my old room. No big deal. In the 'regular' room, there's still a ton of space, with a loveseat, chair, desk (with executive chair), beautiful dresser, a 47" LCD, and a king size bed. We were able to set up our pack'n'play for our infant and put it between the desk and the dresser, it did not really use up any useful space at all. We got all settled in, then I started noticing things.

First, I noticed that the tertiary lock (the one above the deadbolt) was improvised. It appears that the door is a bit sunk-in and does not align properly in it's frame, so the builders used 4 nuts as a spacer so the lock lined up properly with the frame and could operate (although I don't know how well it would prevent a forced entry). Really, this was the only flaw in the room, so no big deal.

Then I went back to the car to get a few things and tried getting back into the hotel using my room key. The door on the second floor would not open. I tried and tried, but the key would not open the back door to the hotel. So I went downstairs and tried that back door. It worked. So I took the elevator up to the second floor where my room is and thought nothing of it. Later that night when my wife and I came back to the hotel from dinner, we used the key to get into the gated parking lot, but it wouldn't work! I went inside and told the concierge about the problem, and he said not to let the key near a cell phone because it could get scrambled up and stop working!

So he re-programmed our keys and we got in the gate just fine. But then going up to the second floor back door still wouldn't work, we had to go back down to the first floor and get in that way. We opened up the elevator and my wife tripped getting in! We didn't notice before, but now figured out that the tile job in the elevator was not finished. They did not finish up by laying the transition pieces, so the straight edge of the tile is just sticking out ready to trip anyone that doesn't watch where they're stepping. The elevator also makes weird noises which can be unnerving. The keycard problems kept happening for the next day, until we finally told them to give us new cards. Then the problem went away (although we figured out the card reader to the second floor back door did not work - it wasn't the keycard's problem). Lastly, the ice maker on the second floor did not work.

All in all, the room was above average, there is free wifi (but no wired internet access), a community computer with a printer, a great lounge area, outstanding breakfast buffet, 30 channels (no dvd player), microwave + 5.0 cu/ft refrigerator in the room, and the service was outstanding. My only problems were with the details - Choice Hotels needs to invest a little more money in fixing up this place and then it'll get 4 stars from me (5 stars could not be achieved because it's kind of in the ghetto). There was nothing the people working there could have done to alleviate these problems.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank mtrodrig
GMQuality, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites North, responded to this review, 14 November 2010
Dear Guests,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you and your family for being our valued guests and also for taking time out to give us this review as we value all of our guests comments and opinions. Since your stay, we have completed our Renovations as well as added a few more ammenities to better serve you such as our complimentary shuttle to and from the airport as well as a complimentary full hot breakfast every morning. I hope you keep us in mind when you make it back to houston as my staff and I are always here and eager to serve you.

gm.tx854