“Imagine authentic South African cuisine in Houston.”
Review of Peli Peli

Peli Peli
Reserve with OpenTable
Peli Peli is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 8,435 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$20 - US$80
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Louetta
Description: Peli Peli is the only South African fusion restaurant in Texas and the 2010 Click2Houston winner for Best Romantic Restaurant in Houston. Peli Peli is located at Vintage Park, a 100,000 square foot upscale lifestyle center that serves the communities in Northwest Houston (Hwy 249 & Louetta). Guests are invited to dine under Peli Peli's 30-foot tall, one-of-a-kind Acacia Tree and illuminated sky which creates an atmosphere perfect for romantic dinners and special occasions. Peli Peli also features avant-garde architecture, a spacious dining area, a Sunday brunch, full bar & lounge, a cozy, private dining room and an outdoor patio facing the Piazza. In addition to its awards for atmosphere (2009 Houston Press - Reader's Choice) and ambience (Best Romantic Bar and Music Venue - Citysearch 2009), Peli Peli is one of only a handful of restaurants in Houston that have been rated at least 4-stars on every online food and drink website.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We spent ten days in South Africa a dozen years ago and this is the first time we've had the chance to renew our acquaintance with its great food. I had lamb chops with couscous and it was delicous. Would highly recommend.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,703)

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We recently dined at this very "in" Houston restaurant. To put it bluntly, we were very disappointed. They obviously pack them in, as the dining room was nearly filled on a Monday evening. The din was almost overwhelming, as we had to struggle to hear what our server was saying as she greeted us. Our party of three had to raise voices to converse. We had two mixed seafood entrees (about $35 each) and one "mixed grill" red meat entree (same price). The seafood came with a salad, the meat entree did not, so a Peli-Peli salad (very good) was ordered a la carte. The salads came up in a reasonable time, but we scarcely had a couple of mouthfuls of salad before the entrees were delivered. There were no apologies or excuses given. To digress, the salads were very good, but two of our party asked for fresh-ground pepper. The server disappeared to the kitchen, and returned with a ramekin with a small amount of coarsely-ground pepper in it. When one of our party said that what she REALLY wanted was pepper ground in a pepper mill directly onto the salad, the server seemed appalled and said that the only mill was so large, that it was kept in the kitchen. We asked that it be brought out and the pepper applied directly to the salad. The server disappeared into the kitchen once again, and returned with a manager ("keeper of the pepper mill?) in tow. The manager did not seem happy that we were so unreasonable as to ask for such a thing. We hurried through a couple of more bites of the salads before we abandoned them for the cooling entrees. The seafood was quite acceptable to the two that ordered it. However, the server disappeared until much later, never checking on the acceptability of the food. The beef and lamb on the mixed grill were ordered "rare", and came out about "medium", with only the faintest hint of pink in the center. Since we seemed to be abandoned forever by the server (because of the pepper mill trauma?), I ate the red meat, as delivered. As I finished the last bite of the tenderloin, she magically re-appeared, asking if everything was "ok". I told her of the "doneness problem", and she readily offered to replace it. I turned it down, as I was no longer hungry, and was more than a little disgusted with virtually everything that had occurred to that point. We were all surprised when she appeared a few minutes later with a take-out box which contained a serving of the beef (what about the lamb?). That was a nice gesture, but a little too late to redeem things, for me. Meanwhile, the din had subsided to a point where we could speak to each other in a normal tone of voice as the restaurant cleared. All in all, we won't likely be back. Our impression is that the restaurant is vastly over-rated. As we struggled through the trials and tribulations of dining there, we were subjected to a (closed circuit) video up in the corner in front of us touting the achievements and the talents of the head chef. This self-promotion did not set well with us, and we find it totally out-of-place in a fine-dining restaurant. We are still wondering how this restaurant has come so far, offering so little...

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I have been to Peli Peli several times so we decided to celebrate our 21st anniversary there. When I made the reservation via phone, the young lady told me she would make note of the special occasion. Our dinner was excellent - although we've decided overpriced; however, we weren't even offered a free dessert (which we thought was gauche) for our anniversary. Any other place we ever celebrated an anniversary at least offered one free dessert. We probably won't frequent Peli Peli again when there are other very nice restaurants with equally good food who obviously appreciate our business more.

tn304, General Manager at Peli Peli, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

I am very sorry about your experience I do hope you enjoyed our food at least! We actually offer complimentary stemless wine glasses to all anniversaries and complimentary dessert to all birthdays, but you would need to sign up for our Acacia Card program which is free. I certainly hope you understand and I would love to give you those gifts if you would give us another opportunity. Please email us at info@pelipeli.com. Thanks.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and I have taken 3 other couples to Peli Peli and both times the meal, the drinks and the ambiance were fabulous! Every time we have been to this restaurant it exceeds our expectations! The Chillean Sea Bass is crazy good! Like butter it melts in your mouth! The steaks are wonderful too. The servers are enthusiastic...the music is just right! It's just an all around "sure thing" for a nice evening out! We love it!

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Incredible restaurant, great service, delicious, unique food. Friend was brought the wrong meal, they went out of their way apologizing, was given another salad while waiting and both were free.