“Thanks for the bass music playing until midnight...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport

Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport
Ranked #174 of 501 Hotels in Houston
San Antonio, Texas
“Thanks for the bass music playing until midnight...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Room was decent...clean/no smell. There were different items that were soiled that made me feel a little guarded: the hotel services binder was dirty (I know, who cares...) it looked like there was nail polish or marker on the inside of the door which my husband thought was blood, the "clean" glass in the bathroom had weird spots and fingerprints with makeup. Overall, none of these things were a huge deal...but enough for me to not think it is typical Marriott quality. My main issue is that there was a party in a ballroom directly beneath us which had loud music with bass playing until midnight. I called the general manager around 8:30 to ask how long it would be going on...she politely informed me that the music would be playing until midnight and that she could move me if needed. Since my kid was already asleep, I decided to stay rather than pack up everything and wake him. I do not think the hotel should have booked this room knowing that there would be a party with loud music that would disrupt another guest's stay.
Add the $10 parking fee...not a happy customer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your visit here. Our goal is that every guest is satisfied with their stay. In your case I am sorry that the noise level from the social event booked in our hotel kept you from a good rest. When I receive feedback such as yours, I make sure that we do everything we can to prevent it from happening again. In the future, we will be more careful to ensure that the entertainment noise level be more closely monitored so as not to keep our guests from a good nights rest.

If I can be of service to you in the future, pelase feel free to contact me at roger.radtke@JQH.com

Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

When we checked in we heard a lot of young girls laughing and playing, after check in we went to the elevators and both were being used by some young girls, they were playing in the elevators, all the girls were without adult supervision. They were a cheer leading team. A little bit later went to get ice and say a maintenance guy trying to open an elevator door, 4 girls got the elevator stuck. The sounds of the kids was very loud in the hotel, echoing in the whole interior, the staff at the front desk would should have done something about the noise. The room was ok, nothing special, definitely not up to Marriott standards. You also have to pay $10 a day for parking, really. Not a good part of town!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Scott N
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent visit. I understand that there was a group of individuals that were not well behaved staying here during your visit. We strongly discourage this type of behavior and am very sorry that you had to encounter it during your stay.

If I may be of service to you in the future, please feel free to contact me at Roger.Radtke@JQH.com
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I set up this property as a home base of operation while I was working in South East Texas. I stayed in room 729, which is a king suite. The bed was very comfortable, the pillows, bedding, and the like were up to my very high standard.

I enjoyed this hotel for a number of reasons. The hotel restaurant is open until midnight, and all of the food that came out of their kitchen was good. The room service was simple, however the room service menu is located in a separate binder, and not included in the property details binder.

Housekeeping was thorough, thoughtful, and consistent. The pool was pleasant, and the hot tub was hot but the timer switch that controls the jets really needed to be replaced. It took a great deal of manipulation to get the jets fired up.

There is plenty of convention space at this location. It is well maintained, and I trust that staff will take care of everything. The staff is great. Devanshi Thakker from the sales office is lights out brilliant. She is on top everything and has great follow through. She never let me down! I would highly recommend dealing with her.

Room Tip: They have a great concierge lounge that provides far better fare than many other properties that I h...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

The room was spacious, but don't ever stay in room 234. The entrance to the room is badly hidden and I felt unsafe, especially as the hotel is in a seedy area. I had asked for a room near the elevator because of a foot injury and 234 is near the elevator....but no other hotel rooms are around there and as said before the entrance to the room was in an alcove totally hidden.

Inasmuch as I forgot my cell phone I asked for a wake-up call. The first morning - no wakeup call. The second night, again, at 2 am I asked for a six am wake up call and told the lady who answered the phone, that the previous morning the hotel did not do this call.....I thought she would apologize but she just repeated my request and told me she would make sure I got this wake up call. Guess? Nobody called.
Maybe the Marriott does not supply this service anymore. I was late for my meeting.
Again, if you ever get assigned room 234 - pass.....and make sure you bring your cell phone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to share your experience following your stay at my hotel. I am very sorry that you did not like the room that you were assigned. We certainly want you comfortable with the location. We are always willing to move you in the future event that you do not like your room.

There is no excuse for you not to have received your wake up call. I have shared your comments with my staff so that we can focus our training on this important guest service. I hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future as I am sure we will do a better job.

If I can be of service to you in the future, pelsae feel free to contact me at roger.radtke@jqh.com

BEAUMONT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed overnight for business, got in late from work about 8:30pm. Called room service asked for recommendation, the operator recommended the blackened Chicken sandwich. It took less than 30 minutes for my food btw18%gratuity which is fine! That Sandwich was FREAKIN AWESOME!! And I'm from SETX where we know about great Cajun food!!! The hotel was very nice visually and the bed was Heavenly! Staff was extremely Pleasant!! Will definitely stay again when I have to work in that area!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Waco, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Let me tell you about all the good before I tell you the problem. The hotel is clean and very nice. The staff are wonderful and helpfull. The beds are like sleeping on a cloud. I have stayed there several times. The only problem is this was the second time I had charges put on my credit card that were not mine. The first time was a bar tab and this time was 3 charges totalling around $400. They admitted it was their fault and told me they were sorry that it has put a hold for the amount on my credit card. This being the second time, I do not think sorry is enough.

Room Tip: every room I stayed in was equally nice, there are no really good views but I was there for the slee...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
roger_radtke, General Manager at Houston Marriott South at Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. I am so very sorry that you had these issues with your account. Please contact me at roger.radtke@jqh.com or at my office number 713-943-4001 so I can further discuss this with you.

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Convenient location to nearby airport, the property is located in a very sketchy part of town. Average Marriott amenities, overall, the hotel is needing some updates in all areas as it showing its age. The Houston hobby airport area is in desperate need for a great hotel. I wish Marriott would seize the opportunity.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We review all comments and work hard to improve our service and product based on our customer feedback. Your specific comment will be helpful as we look at making future renovations to our hotel.
Thank you again and I look forward to serving you again in the future.