“VERY nice - Great location -- clean and comfy”

Sleep Inn & Suites Hwy 290 / NW Freeway
Ranked #230 of 508 Hotels in Houston
College Station, Texas
“VERY nice - Great location -- clean and comfy”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Being longtime Choice Hotel privilege members, we normally stay at Comfort Suites, but on this occasion ended up booking the Sleep Inn thinking -- "it's only one night." Right away I was impressed with the look/feel/cleanliness and a late night clerk whose first language is English. It's a great location, near several great restaurants -- including our favorite, Papadeaux. Room was clean and comfortable, with a great bed. Breakfast was slightly inadequate, but that's typical of continental breakfasts at any choice hotel. Certainly did not notice any moth ball smells. Wouldn't hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Battle Creek, Michigan
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beware!!! Do not stay here unless you love the smell of strong moth balls. We were booked for five nights but left at 6 am the next morning. appeared fairly clean but had very strong moth balls at the check in desk, lobby and elevators! I have asthma and it about killed me. I contacted Choice Hotels but I have Not heard from the choice hotels yet and that was on the15th of May- still waiting. THeir form email says they will contact you within 72 hrs. No customer service -night clerk very rude and un caring. Cancelled reservation an went to Hampton Inn. Will contact Houston code compliance as I'm sure it is against all codes to use moth balls as an air freshener(that is what the desk clerk said the moth balls were for) Moth balls are poison!.Stay away!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank headvase_1799
sleepinn290, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hwy 290 / NW Freeway, responded to this review, 27 May 2014

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. I would like to assure you that we do not use moth balls in our hotel as air freshener. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I have tried to get in touch with you but do not have your contact information on file. Please contact me at gm.txd02@choicehotels.com so we can make this right for you.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I would stay here again, the location is good. Several restaurants and watering holes you can walk to. It's not a Marriott but it was sufficient for business stay. Room clean and comfortable.
Front desk was helpful and professional.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TCBinKC
Chicago
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel was ideally located from my family's home. I was able to walk there and visit them. The rooms were very clean, service was prompt and friendly. Breakfast was free and reasonable. Wifi was in and out but enough to check email and stay in touch.
It even had a very small exercise room.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Attar1
San Pedro Belize
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Be very careful when you book an online reservation with this hotel. Having a layover at IAH (in 6 weeks), I made an online reservation at this hotel, thinking it was the Sleep in by the airport. I realized I had booked at the wrong Sleep Inn within 10 minutes and immediately called the hotel directly to cancel or transfer my reservation to the airport Sleep Inn. I was informed this was a non-refundable reservation and there was nothing they could do at the hotel to cancel, nor change it in any way. They then offered me the number for Choice customer service for help. I called Choice and they told me that the only one who could cancel the reservation was the individual hotel where it was made. Never have I seen a more obvious runaround.

I would like to think that the cancellation policy is not intended for people who make an honest mistake and seek to rectify it within minutes. However, considering that neither Choice nor this individual Sleep Inn claim to to able to help me, I'm starting to think this happens much more often than one would think, and the hotels are cashing in on it quite nicely. Shame on them!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank belizesnowbird
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed at this Sleep Inn for one night. Most of Houston was sold out that night, but this hotel still had rooms for an affordable price. This hotel seems to be brand new! The first thing I noticed was the front desk staff should be standing up while helping guests. If I, the tired and worn guest, has to stand up while waiting to checking in, you should too. I feel it is unprofessional. The room was very clean and the bathroom was spotless. I did like the layout of the room. The work desk and TV are on the same table. Plenty of lighting. The walls were dirty and needed to be deep cleaned. I believe they use the paint that easily reflects marks and damages. Bed and linens were wonderful and provided a great sleep, true to the hotel's name. The pool needed to be vacuumed badly as the floor was very dirty with leaves and sand. Other than that, the pool area was nice and relaxing All exterior locks worked. Plenty of parking. Also, there are many restaurants nearby within walking distance and a movie theater behind the hotel. The breakfast was cleaned up at least 15 minutes before the official closing time which is unfortunate and untrue to the signage. This is probably the best hotel for the money in the area and I would stay here again (wish I extended my stay)!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms are away from the highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Hippo5
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Stayed at the Sleep Inn Hwy 290 for three nights on business. Overall the experience was fine but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again when in the area.

The number of television stations is very limited - including no NBC network. None of the few cable channels are in HD which defeats the purpose of having a nice flat screen television.

There was mildew in my bathroom on the ceiling and around the exhaust vent. The towels, while clean, were definitely showing their age and need to be replaced. Two lightbulbs in my room did not function.

The hotel is in a busy location and within easy walking distance of several restaurants and a Cinemark Tinseltown theater. The hotel is very close to the freeway so ask for a room on the north side of the hotel for less road noise.

The free breakfast was ok and included standard options. The staff were nice and courteous.

Room Tip: Rooms on north side are away from freeway.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business