“Horrible stay, bugs, bad service”

Courtyard Houston Medical Center
Ranked #132 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at this Courtyard recently on a business trip. There was a major conference going on in Houston the week I was there, and this was the closest hotel to the downtown that had a room that’s under the company rate cap (and it’s charging non Courtyard prices too). I am a Marriott gold elite member and have had consistently good experience with the Marriott chain, well until this time.

The hotel is almost brand new, lobby is nice, room is large but I found a live one and half inch cockroach in my room on first night. I was too tired to ask for a different room so I just killed it.

When I returned from work on my second day, I found both of my shirts that I had hung in the dresser missing and the power supply for my tablet also missing. I called the front desk and the front desk clerk showed up 10 minutes later with the power supply and my two shirts that were clean and crisp in the morning but now all wrinkled and somewhat damp in a plastic bag. He offered to send them to the dry cleaner but couldn’t make them available early enough the next morning before I had to leave for work, so pretty much a useless offer. The explanation I got was the housekeeping staff got it mixed up and thought I was checking out and took all my stuff I left in the room to lost and found, but if that was the case, they sure didn’t do a very good job cleaning the room for the next guest because all my other stuff was in the dress drawer.

I have stayed at many hotels and this has been by far the worst experience and I paid over $200 a night for a room that had a live cockroach, clean shirts taken away from the room and returned not usable for the next day. Until this hotel gets rid of all the cockroaches and fixes the staff training problem, stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Huskies92
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Houston Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Huskies92,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay at the Houston Courtyard Medical Center. We very much appreciate this type of constructive feedback that allows us to experience a hotel visit through the eyes of our guests. First and foremost I wanted to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience it caused. I feel terrible and can certainly understand how frustrating the situation was for you. After reviewing the guest satisfaction survey comments,we certainly went back & had our Pest Management company treat the room for the any pest activity.I want to assure you that the team here takes thrives & takes pride in delivering exceptional service with every encounter and we obviously failed to do so in interactions with you and for that I apologize

We certainly value feedback as it helps us move closer to our goal of Excellence in all facets of our role as gracious hosts. As for our location and amenities; they definitely make us a perfect location for business and leisure travelers visiting the Houston Medical Center & Reliant stadium area. I am pleased that it worked out well for you. We certainly hope that you will allow us another opportunity to showcase the exceptional service we are known for during your future visits to the Houston Medical Center /Reliant stadium area. Thank You!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Comfortable, really clean, and a professional staff combine to make this hotel a real value in a niche market. Lots of extras included in price--free WiFi, free parking & free shuttle service. Beds are extremely comfortable. Food offerings at breakfast at Bistro were all delicious, and some healthy choices, too. Love the calorie disclosures. They help!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Courtyard M, Manager at Courtyard Houston Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this awesome review!!! Its positive feedback like yours that motivates our associates to deliver such professional customer service like you experienced. We do thrive for superior customer service and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The staff at the front desk was always very helpful, as were other staff members I asked for help while there. The rooms are well kept, comfortable. Had to work really early each day so I did not get to check-out the breakfast. Hotel room cost was very reasonable. Food prices were high - but there is a lot very close to the hotel to choose from. Krogers is right next door (just other side of Residence Inn) too so that was convenient to pick up drinks & other snacks for a reasonable cost, Would stay there again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights last week while in town for an event at the Reliant Center. I booked this hotel in large part because it's within walking distance of Reliant, and I didn't want to rent a car on this trip and in part based on a reasonable price. Turned out to be a GREAT choice!

Wow, what a beautiful, large, comfortable room! King bed, couch/seating area, desk, nice TV, LOTS of room. And all very nicely decorated, clean, and pleasant.

Pros:
See above - a really lovely, large, comfortable room
Excellent front desk service by always friendly front desk folks
Local shuttle runs on the hour and will take you to restaurants, medical facilities, Reliant Center, etc...for free
Neighborhood is safe and quite walkable
Major grocery store about a block away, so one evening I grabbed some to-go from the deli because I just wanted a light meal
Restaurant on site is convenient for light meals, breakfast

Cons:
No airport shuttle - but in fairness, I didn't see many hotels in this area of town with shuttles
Restaurant on site is very limited in choices
A cup of coffee was about $4 - really, a bit overpriced!

Super Shuttle did a great job of getting me to and from hotel and airport, at quite reasonable cost ($24 vs. $75 for a cab)

Oh, and I forgot a library book when I left. Hospitality retrieved it, and is shipping it to me fedex. Very happy to get it back, as the shipping charge will be less than the replacement cost at the library!

Overall, I would stay here again in a heart-beat!

1  Thank Sylviemcgee
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Thought this was a very fair price for size of room, amenities, free breakfast, free parking, free WiFi. Comfy beds, full kitchen set up for extended stays, very impressive morning breakfast selection including the Texas shaped waffles! Stayed here for a guys weekend overnight for an Astros game and was only a 15 minute drive from the stadium.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice clean rooms but very over priced - as a patient going in for surgery I stayed here so I wouldn't have to drive in early in the morning as I live about 100 miles away. Restaurant on site - very expensive but waitress very cordial and food was good. No hospital discounts given.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have appointments at MD Anderson so we needed a hotel to stay at. I made a reservation at Courtyard by Marriott but accidentally wrote down an address for another Courtyard by Marriott. Megan at the front desk was able to accommodate us and was pleasant and extremely personable! Stacy the van driver was also terrific! He went out of his way to get me a cup of ice from the kitchen and directions when I needed them. We ended up having to stay an extra night and Megan again was able to get us a room even with it being very close to 4th of July. The hotel is centrally located to all kinds of great restaurants and a Kroger grocery store. The room was very clean and quiet. There are no on demand movies so bring a swimsuit and workout clothes to exercise instead. Enjoy!

2  Thank Debra S

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and sharing your experience at the Courtyard In the Houston Medical Center. We truly appreciate your feedback & I’m really glad to hear that you enjoyed the convenient location and the personal service we strive for with every one of our guests. Its positive feedback like yours that motivates our associates. We hope you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are visiting!