“Better than last time, but still room for improvement”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road
Ranked #95 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I spent another week at the Holiday Inn Express on West Road this month. During my first stay, I was giving a handicapped accessible room and the shower was wheelchair accessible, which meant that water would run over the entire bathroom floor causing slip hazards. I also encountered rowdy and noisy patrons late into the night.

I did not have any of those issues on this trip. The normal guest bathroom was much better and I was on the 3rd floor so I did not notice any real guest noise at all. The bed was still comfy with both soft and firm pillow options in every room. A fridge and a microwave in every room made eating out much more enjoyable as well. The TV was very nice and the wireless internet worked much better than on my previous visit.

My issue with the hotel this time was the complementary breakfast. It was just awful. During my entire stay, the juice machine was not putting out any apple juice at all. I tried priming it by running a few glasses through it and would get a small shot of the apple juice but mostly water. I decided to go with coffee instead, although it was much too hot in Houston last week to be drinking coffee. The coffee selection looked good, with (I think) 3 different options available. I honestly could not tell the difference between the 3 flavors though. Then there was the food. They had the normal offerings of danishes and breads which were fine. They had cereal with milk available. I noticed some fresh fruit. However, I am a meat and eggs fan so I went right for that. I had some bacon and scrambled eggs on the first morning. The bacon was OK, but was very overcooked and tasteless. The eggs were horrible. They tasted gritty and were very runny, almost like they were from some kind of mix or something. I tried to salvage them by putting some gravy over them, which only made it worse since the gravy was also very runny. I decided this would be my last complementary breakfast on this trip, and ate out every other morning. I did look at the breakfast every other day but was still uninspired by it. I saw sausage patties one day and those frozen pre-made omelette things twice.

All in all, it was still a nice place to stay. I just don't understand why so many of these hotels go with cheap airline-style food for their breakfasts. Real food does not cost that much more to provide and would make a much better impression.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Great quite clean place, close to the airport, would recommend to anybody! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Nothing to add, my room was almost excellent.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
DPinierio, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2015

Thank you. I really enjoyed our conversation the other evening at the managers reception. Your comments on our housekeeping staff were truly appreciated and the staff loved hearing them the following morning in our daily meeting. Once again, thank you for the kind words and we look forward to seeing you again next week.

Warmest Regards,
Donato Pinierio

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm a frequent traveler to the NW-Beltway 8 area. This nice new Holiday Inn works just fine for business travelers like me.

The hotel has ample parking. It's near busy roads (Beltway 8) but not so near that you can hear it. The pool area is pleasant in the evening, and the pool was very usable. I chose to sit beside it and enjoy the conversation of friends.

Front desk staff were friendly and attentive, despite my 1AM arrival. The layout is exactly like other newer Holiday Inns (very functional). The business center had a couple of PCs and I could see people successfully using the available computer and printer.

In the rooms, the TVs were new, flat and speedy. Room furnishings were better than average, and the room had a modern and classy look. The bed and betting were very comfortable.

Breakfast was "just ok". Bagels and bread were a little stale. The presentation of oatmeal was unappealing. On the positive side, the breakfast area was well organized and ideally setup if travelling with a family or other colleagues. My recommendation is grab a banana from the hotel, then go get a coffee from the specialty coffee place a couple of blocks north on West Rd.

The hotel is set-aside from other developments and has a large wall that separates it from a trailer park around the back. Lighting and lines-of-site are good, and I felt as though the area was safe and secure. I will plan to go back next time I’m in Houston on business.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
hiexpresshouston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for staying with us, and for posting comments about your experience during your stay. We value your feedback, and hope you choose Holiday Inn Express - West Road next time you are in Houston!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

The Holiday Inn 'Express was new, very clean, employees very friendly and we just enjohed our stay tremendously. The hotel was easy and convient to get in and out of. My stay was excellent. I did not book this hotel, but this is where I stayed.

Room Tip: Roosm were spacious and clean and all the imenties you need for grooming and sleeping comfortably...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gloriaknight

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We are glad you choose to stay at our beautiful property and hope to see you next time you are in Houston!

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Lovely new Hotel ,very good location for our needs. Staff were polite and helpful, suggestion for were to eat Dinner was perfect. We were on the top floor which meant we had an issue with the noise from the extractor fan or Aircon unit on the roof (we were not sure where it was coming from)in the bathroom it did not cut out and as a light sleeper was annoying . It did not bother my husband though! The swimming pool and spa looked inviting but it was too cold for us to try it.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Thank Robertson;Mrs.a... R
hiexpresshouston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and were pleased with our team. My apologies for the noise you experienced from the room you were in. There is no mechanical equipment on the third floor, so I will investigate the source of the noise and will ensure you do not have that experience during your next stay. Thank you!

Reviewed 26 September 2011

Not all hotel reviews are the same, this one however was spot on. I booked a room at this hotel after reading the reviews about it. I was in Houston overnight on business and needed a place to stay. The hotel was about 25 miles out of the way for me but I took a chance and it really payed off.
First off the staff was awesome, they greeted me with big smiles and had everything set up for me per my reservation. I even received a little gift bag, priority club member perk! The room was nice and clean and well kept. The bed was really comfy, and had both soft and firm pillows to choose from. A fridge and microwave are conspicuously tucked away in the cabinet below the flat screen. There was plenty of work space for my laptops and a nice overstuffed faux-suede chair and ottoman in the corner. The hotel is nice and new, this was reflected throughout the well maintained property.
The breakfast the following morning was quite good as well. Unfortunately the pancake maker was on the fritz and despite attempts by the staff they could not get it working; that was OK thought, there were plenty of other hot alternatives available.
I would like to personally thank Gwen the assistant manager, Sheviki and Ryan from guest services for an incredible nights stay. I've paid triple the price at higher rated hotels and did not receive close to the quality of service and comfort that I experienced at this hotel.
Any time I travel to Houston if the future, a stay at this hotel will be a must!

Room Tip: Hotel guests should keep others in mind, a little bit of being neighborly "common courtesy"...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dartanian C
hiexpresshouston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Thank you for your feedback. I am thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We are looking forward to serving you next time you are in Houston!

Reviewed 18 September 2011

First let me say that this is a beautiful hotel. I have never stay at a HIE before, but based on this visit, I definitely would again. The hotel is very swanky in decor and feels like a boutique hotel. The small lobby is very attractive and the dining room is comfortable and welcoming. The complimentary breakfast was adequate, although the quality of the eggs and meats could be raised a bit. Still not bad for a free breakfast, but Hilton really outdoes Holiday Inn in this area.

Now the room was another story. First, the good. The bed was amazingly comfortable. I had 4 pillows per bed with both soft and firm options that were marked as such. The TV was very nice. The decor was really superb for a hotel in this price range. It felt like an expensive vegas hotel room. Every room has a fridge and microwave and internet access. I had trouble getting access to the internet and had to call the 800 number for assistance. It finally worked on night #2 and I had no other issues after that.

The biggest problem I had was with the bathroom. I was in a handicapped room because the hotel was full, and the shower was wheelchair accessible. Sounds nice, except that there was no lip on the shower at all, so the water flowed all over the bathroom floor every time. I nearly slipped the first night. After that, I started placing the extra towels on the floor before each shower, which created a swamp of wet towels for the remainder of the day. This was VERY unacceptable and something needs to be done to solve this.

The other issue I had was with other guests. There appeared to be a group of guys staying there who liked to party late into the night. They would sit out by the pool drinking until about 1 am and then would go into the dining room and lobby being VERY loud, flirting with women, and generally being obnoxious. I asked the desk person to quiet them down once, and then 20 min later they started in again so I had to yell out the door for them to shut the hell up. This happened 2 of the 3 nights I was there.

All in all it was a decent visit. The main problem was with the design of the handicapped room. Other than that, i could have tolerated the noise.

Room Tip: Do not accept a handicapped room unless you like a wet bathroom floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ROTJob
hiexpresshouston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston NW-Beltway 8-West Road, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate you staying at our brand new hotel, and hope to be able to serve you again. I apologize the shower did not meet your expectations; however the particular room you were in was our roll in shower room. This room is ADA compliant for guests who have trouble with mobility. The construction and design of the particular room you stayed in was deliberate so that guests who need easy access to use the shower have no difficulty. There is only one room like this in the hotel, so we will ensure you are upgraded to a suite during your next visit so that you may experience our beautiful bathrooms. Thank you for bringing the noise at the pool to our attention as well. I will personally ensure we keep a better eye on closing the pool at the appropriate time so no guests are inconvenienced in the future.