Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Downtown
Ranked #17 of 518 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I generally like Embassy Suites for business travel because they have a pretty good complimentary breakfast and a cocktail hour. Among the Embassy locations I've been to, this one is certainly the nicest. The hotel is pretty new (<2 yr). Modern decor, a large breakfast selection relative to other ES hotels, and great downtown location within walking distance to several restaurants.

Staff is very, very courteous. Would gladly return for either business or personal stay.

Stayed: June 2014
Ashley B, Public Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your awesome experience at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Houston Downtown with others on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your business and your recommendation. We look forward to serving you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one week in a corner room with a great view to the Toyota Centre and city. The room was extremely clean and very spacious, especially the bathroom. The breakfast was good and breakfast staff were very flexible as on my checkout day I had it before 6am and still got served as normal. Although the staff at the entrance wasn't that friendly as we asked for directions to restaurants/bars and they didn't seem in the mood to help. Twice. Location-wise, the hotel is very good with walking distance to restaurants. Car parking is expensive and hotel does not have its own private parking as the Hilton next to it, for instance. Anyway, I'd recommend this hotel to anyone travelling on business.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate you staying with us and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Location is super for access to downtown business, close to several restaurants, close to George R. Brown Convention Center, and close to Minute Maid Park. The front desk staff were fairly inexperienced. The housekeeping was very good. The bartender was super nice, but the bar appeared that it was an afterthought in the design of the hotel. The temperature control in the room was the worst part of staying their several days a week for a couple of weeks. You could set the thermostat on 65F, but the temperature would only get down to 70F at best.

Room Tip: All the rooms were quiet. I would chose the east side of the building to stay away from the afterno...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I traveled to Houston back in February with friends, and enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites Houston Downtown. The location is perfect as it's a short drive to the bars via cab, or near the stadiums if you are there for a game. One thing to note that Houston Downtown(the city) is a ghost town during the weekends which shocked me, but the local bars and hangout spots are 10-15 minute cab drive away.

The hotel was clean, comfortable and the pull out couch was incredibly useful. Free happy hour, gym access, free buffet breakfast with the room were just a few perks that made this stay enjoyable, convenient and worth the trip.

If here for the weekend with friends/family or here for business it's a great spot.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay as our guest and for taking the time to write such a nice review. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I chose the hotel because of its proximity to the convention center. And we are pleasantly surprised by the level of service and comforts offered by the hotel: large room size, excellent breakfast, cleanness and tasteful deco. Valet parking is not cheap. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to be your hotel of choice when visiting Houston.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is new, I think completed in 2013. Stayed one night. Great Location and price. I love staying at Embassy suites. They were out of standard queen beds so they gave me an ADA room. The bathrooms in the ADA (handicap) rooms don't offer individuals privacy. I was with my wife and 2 kids, both old enough (8&10) to understand about privacy. The bathroom doors slide but you can not lock them (this is ok with me). The problem? When the doors are "closed", you have a 1-2 inch gap on each side of the door. This allows anyone outside the bathroom to have a GREAT view of the shower and on the opposite side, you have a view of the toilet. Sometimes the bathroom is the only place where I can be alone a for a minutes :)

When I checked out, I showed pictures to the front desk staff, he was surprised and immediately called someone to the assist me. They informed me and the employee, that it is a bad design. The idea was to provide anyone in a wheel chair, a way to exit the bathroom in case the door is stuck or jammed. They could just push open the door. But I wish they had mentioned this to me. I would have asked for one king and use the pullout sofa for the kids.

The breakfast was great as usual, except for the layout. In most Embassy Suites, the bagels, cereal, forks, fruit are usually in a location that you could walk up and get your food. This location had them in the serving line. This was the same line people would wait for omelettes. It took me 15-20 minutes to get a bagel, cream cheese, cereal and fruit. Plus bowls and plates were scarce.

I would give 5 stars but the bathroom privacy issue and long wait for basic non cooked food each took one star away.

Would I stay here again, yes but I would make sure I get the room I wanted. By the way, The Hilton is a hop, skip and jump away from this place. Literally across the street.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I had the pleasure of sending a couple nights at the Embassy Suites. The hotel is very nice, clean and of course the rooms are very, very spacious. I really enjoy the little perks like the free breakfast and the evening happy hour. I would say for this particular property, the staff makes the hotel! Every single person that I came in contact with was happy, friendly and helpful. They could teach a customer service class to many of the properties that I have visited. I had meetings daily and the convenience of the car service was an added bonus as well. I would stay at this property again because the staff made the stay so very enjoyable. Great job and kudos!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback and for recognizing our team for the friendly and helpful service they provided you during your stay with us. We appreciate your business and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.