“Aged property” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #183 of 501 Hotels in Houston
Mumbai, India
“Aged property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

To start with, I would compare the brand "Holiday Inn" with her international counterparts, specially in Asia. This brand is a reputed brand in Asia providing all services that you could ask for from a 3-4 star hotel, however this Hotel in North America came across as strictly a "budget hotel".
The check-in was smooth and my relationship with the IHG group was duly recognized by the front desk. Again, very basic looking front door welcome and below average lobby. Just one person managing the front desk and multitasking most of the time.
The room was good size, however was aging. The carpets needed attention at many parts in the room as well as the lobby. The bed provided the usual signature "Holiday Inn" comfort, however, it was a tad too soft for my liking. The décor of the room was very basic, the furniture very outdated and in need of maintenance. The washroom needed a lot of attention. Part of it was addressed by the maintenance staff upon complaining. The water was not draining through the sink and the toilet flush needed attention as well. Besides, the bathroom looked very old and dated. The tiles dirty at many places and fixtures all rusted in places. Like I said, this place is in dire need of renovations.
Again, no bottles of water provided in the room. Upon asking, the front desk said that they would give me a bottle if I would go down myself to get it. Also, needed a dental and shaving kit. When requested, I was told to go down to the front desk and collect it myself. I was very surprised with this attitude! Like I said at the start, my experience at Holiday Inn's in Asia has been very different and this hotel came across as a strictly budget hotel or rather a B&B and it was not even a Holiday Inn "Express"!!
For food, there was only one restaurant in the hotel, with a very limited menu for all meals. Again it is not 24 hours, moreover, it is even closed during afternoon hours after 2pm I think! The food was strictly "okay", the service lack luster. Most of the time, there were no servers in sight and often seen chatting with each other and even snacking at the tables in the restaurant while other guests were dining. In other words, the service was not attentive and could be much better. The food was priced as per the hotel class so no complaints there.
The saving grace, I would say, was the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to help. Otherwise, this place turned out to be something that I never expected out of the "Holiday Inn" brand. Maybe its a "budget" brand in North America. I do not think I will choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators and facing the hotel front
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel-Houston Westchase, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear path_well_trodden,

Thank you for leaving a review regarding your stay. We take pride in our staff and I am delighted to know that you found them highly commendable. However, I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret that our hotel fell short of your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your comments regarding the issues you had with the room you received and all the other points you've raised in this review. Rest assured that your input will be taken into consideration in our efforts to improve and provide exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve your in the future.

Warm Regards,

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Over the last 6 months I have spent over 50 nights at this hotel as it is close to where I was working.
I found it to be very clean ,well maintained and serviced.
The bar was typical hotel/ sports bar but much improved by the friendliness of the staff. Eating anywhere on a regular basis means the menu becomes a bit boring , but this was due to frequency, not quality.
Excellent breakfast buffet and nice lunch choices.
What made this hotel special was the quality and attitude of the staff.
I mention Lauren in Reception and Jose in the Bar for special note.
A well looked after 3 star a hotel which I reccomend without hesitation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Celticjo58
petaluma, California, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have not only stayed at this Huston; Holiday Inn but I LOVE THIS chain to stay at; as you are
always guaranteed a excellent room that is clean.
They always have Ice buckets and I can bring my own Wine or Beer and enjoy a drink when I
get back to my temporally Home of a room.
Their bedding is always clean and neat. Their are NO bugs here! The room is spotlessly clean!
My family; especially my Dad; James always took us their as kids as it welcomed families and
kids that also were looking for a Swimming pool.
YES I would always go to a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: JUST ASK FOR WHAT YOU WANT and you will get a good room. I usually like a room near the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dave G, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel-Houston Westchase, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and for your incredible feedback! We always strive to improve so if you can think of anything we can add or do better as a team, then please do let us know. Thank you again!

Dave Gibson
Glossop, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was my first time at the hotel and arriving late on a flight from the UK the staff were friendly and the room I was checked into good. Decent size, large bed, good facilities available in the room and I was up several floors so there was no noise from the large amounts of traffic outside. The bathroom was of a good size.
The food for breakfast was pretty basic - greasy potatoes and sausages and bacon burnt to a crisp. There wasn't much alternative on offer except for some pieces of melon. It was very disappointing.
Returning to the bar in the evening for a beer and a light bite the staff weren't particularly friendly. I was on my own and it seemed like it was a trouble for them to serve me.
The 'gym' is very basic with 3 machines and a small pool.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel-Houston Westchase, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear JWWRIGHT,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the majority of features provided. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Eatonton, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

The hotel is nice and I have no complaints - typical Holiday Inn. However; the restaurant has staff issues. Although breakfast is advertised as available starting at 6 AM, one morning my 6AM breakfast doorknob menu was not filled and I had to call for the status and finally received it at 6:45AM. I was told no one showed up to work. I asked for egg beaters and received whole eggs. Since I didn't receive another doorknob menu, the next morning, I called at 3 til 6 to place my order and was told I had to wait until 6! I asked the front desk, housekeeper and restaurant, more than once, for a new doorknob menu and never received one. The servers all had attitudes that seemed to be "I hate my job" or "you're inconveniencing me". The food was good though.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DeeDee134
I am very sorry for the delayed response to your review, as I began here as General Manager after your review was posted. We have made several changes in the restaurant in the past 3 months and have received higher reviews and feedback than the previous months. Our food quality, service, and environment are all improving, as was necessary to meet our guests' needs. Please do give us another opportunity to serve you so that we can know for sure if we're going in the right direction. Thank you for your feedback!

Dave Gibson
Angers, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I have stayed several times at this hotel.
It is new, the rooms are spacious, well funished, quiet and clean.
The hotel is lose to Highway 10 which gives quick access anywhere in Houston.
Pool and sport room are pretty small though.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kerri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel-Houston Westchase, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share comments regarding your recent stay! We regularly share all comments with our staff, and use these valuable tools to improve our hotel and service.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kerri A.
Holiday Inn Houston Westchase
vins100
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stayed there 5 days in June 2013. This hotel seems to be pretty recent and my room was nice and modern as well as the bathroom. That's all the positive points folks!
The location is poor, this hotel being surrounded by highways and big roads. The staff is barely pleasant and welcoming (I don't say some of them but all of them!). the quality of the breakfast is extremely low, the fitness room is almost inexistent.
First stay, probbaly the last one too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank vins100
Kerri A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel-Houston Westchase, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. Our goal is to provide exceptional service to each and every guest during their stay, and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to do that. We do appreciate you letting us know our areas of opportunities as we are constantly striving to improve our services, amenities, and overall experience.

Rest assured that each and every comment/review of our hotel is shared with our Staff, and we hope that you will give us another chance in the future to prove just how exceptional we can be.

Kerri A.