“Over priced ”
Review of Cafe Annie

Cafe Annie
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Annie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #234 of 8,378 Restaurants in Houston
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Great Uptown
Cross street: Ambassador Way
Description: Cafe Annie is the flagship restaurant of the James Beard award-winning Chef Robert Del Grande. We offer the best in Texas Cuisine, an extensive wine list and cocktail menu.
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant last night with a group of friends. The ambience was great walking in, decor is super cute and people are friendly. We waited 30 mins for an actual menu, not sure if it was intentional or not. My husband and I were a little shocked at the menu prices, but figured that the food must be really good based on the reviews! I ordered the snapper with crab bouillabaisse and my husband ordered the ribeye, and we had a 6 raw oysters ($20 for the oysters-yikes!) The meal was ok. The crab used was claw meat and not lump crab, definitely not worth the price we paid. My husbands steak was good, but again, not worth the pice. In general the waiter was not very attentive. We had to get the surrounding waiters' attention for food items that weren't correct or forgotten. There are better places around houston to spend $300 for 2 people!! We will not be going back.

1  Thank memtxrn

Reviewed 18 February 2014

So I brought my fiancée here for valentines and was very disappointed. The atmosphere was nice but the service and food were terrible. The waiter was semi rude but will excuse because it looked like he had seven tables to cover. He was very slow and at times rude. The appetizers were actually good I got the quail and fiancée got the crab cake gulf shrimp. Mind you these items were like $26 dollar appetizers. So all the entrees were around $50 and you would expect a $50 meal to be good. I ordered the gulf snapper and it came on spaghetti sauce with onions!! It was poor to average. My beer was served warm in a warm glass. I tried my fiancées dinner which was the chicken and it tasted like chicken from heb that has been sitting there under the heating lamp all day. Needless to say I could not keep my mouth shut and pissed off my fiancée when I told her how bad I thought it was. My take home
point is this. The meal cost $203 and there are so many other great restaurants in town this is NOT a meal that deserves that price tag. If your looking for a piece of tail at their bar maybe that is a different story but this place is an average meal at best and if you think otherwise you haven't eaten at great restaurants. I just don't want you guys to waste your hard earned money on going to this place when there are so many better restaurants in town. I wish I could write a better review maybe I caught them on an off night.

1  Thank emry123
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I have no idea about the rather mediocre reviews for RDG. We have been going there for many years (since Cafe Annie was in their original location on Westheimer (I think) ) and have never had less than a stellar meal.

Last night was our anniversary and we went back and thoroughly enjoyed it. We mentioned on our reservation that it was our special day and they went out of their way to congratulate us.

Service was quick and we had our drinks in no time. We ordered and the food came quickly and it was wonderful.

For a first course we shared the New Zealand Oysters with crabcake poppers and they were among the best we have ever had. We also had the steak tartare and it was perfect.

I had the Branzino fish and my wife had the pheasant. Everything was very well flavored and presented.

For dessert we had the lemon cake which was also delicious.

In my opinion the servings are not small at all as some of the reviews seemed to indicate. I would say they are actually quite large and we were both full when we left. In terms of expense it is worth every penny! You could pay a lot more at other restaurants in Houston and not be as happy as we were.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Revisited RDG over the holidays and had a wonderful experience. The food and service were impeccable. It was extremely busy but we still felt pampered. On the downside it was a little noisy but not enough to detract from the overall impression. Highly recommended for a special occasion.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great location, wonderful ambience but slow service and the food portions are extremely small for the price that you're paying. Not to mention the scallops and asparagus were cold.

We had a party of 8 & they refused to do split checks - they screwed up the dollar amounts each of us were charged on our credit cards.

I will not be back & I will definitely tell others about my experience.