“Classy Act by the Manager”

Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport
Ranked #226 of 508 Hotels in Houston
Herndon, Virginia
“Classy Act by the Manager”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I only stayed here one night, but my impression of the hotel was generally a good one. The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient at check-in. One relatively minor problem for me was when I asked to be moved to a room farther away from the elevators, the clerk said the hotel was fully booked (implying there were no other rooms available). However, there were several people in line behind me, so I'm not sure why he couldn't have swapped my room for one of theirs. I left the HVAC fan on all night and had no problems with hallway noise.

The sleeping rooms were nicely appointed with what seemed to be new furnishings, including a minifridge with a freezer, and a small microwave. I didn't much care for the mini-ironing board, and had to fix it (it collapsed because the latching mechanism was misplaced). I would have liked to have more electrical outlets in the bedroom, although the cord on the iron was long enough to make due. I never was able to figure out how to get hot water out of the sink faucet, and never did. The shower was fine.

This is apparently another hotel which does not leave the receipt under the door during the night before checkout, so I had to go to the front desk in the morning to check out - not convenient for me.

I had room service for dinner, and, although I was hungry, the food was pretty mediocre (pulled pork sandwich and tortilla soup). I didn't finish eating it.

Kudos to the hotel manager for stepping up to the plate when our meeting groups' lunch order was misdelivered to the wrong hotel. The manager ordered us better food from a different place at the same price, sent hotel staff to get it, and personally came and apologized to our group. Classy.

This review probably sounds a bit negative (or picky), but I would have no problem returning here if I need a short stay at a hotel reasonably close to Houston's Hobby Airport. It's a nice place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Brian_NVA,
Thanks for sharing your positive sentiments regarding your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our hotel and found our manager to be helpful in assisting you with your needs during your stay. We hope you will once again stay with us upon returning to Houston.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I searched for a few hotels in this area for my husband and I to stay at on his visit. This was the most affordable in the area and also looked the nicest. I was surprised of how clean and nice it was here. I have passed by this location many times but never really noticed it due to the bad motel right next door that you see first. Don't let that throw you off. The front desk people are nice and helpful, there is a small bar just there in the lobby and also serve food if you want breakfast or dinner. The room was nice, clean, spacious, good wifi coverage. Parking was good also. We always found a close spot in the front but Saturday night was pretty full so we had to park close to the back. But we did see a police vehicle patrolling the parking lot so we knew it would be safe. We would suggest this to friends and would stay again if needed.

Room Tip: go to mambos about a mile down the highway. great mexican seafood and very affordable! check out kel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SilleBliss
Bloomington,Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had planned our annuel church convention stay at this property months ago with this Four Points property.The person that was working with me (cindy) was great she was able to accomadate all 58 rooms plus extra if needed and was super friendly.Two weeks before our arrival I received an email from general manager Mr.Raymond Hites saying that CIndy was no longer at this property and that he would be the one helping me with my large party.I know that I don't have much room here cause I can go on and on but the worst part of this story Mr. Hites did nothing I arrived on Thursday,July 4,2013 and I had one of my guest and his family that had drove in from Idaho waiting in the lobby for over an hour because they could not find his reservation that I had made over a month ago.Lorali a front desk manager took over and tried her very best to make everything work she was also very nice to help but because Mr.Hites did not fall through with his words they had to send over 18 of our guest next door to the Holiday Inn due to no more rooms available and so many of my guest sitting in the lobby for hours just waiting for them to get their stuff in order and Mr.Hites(manager) no where to be found. He didnt even try to find me to apologize for this big error and loss of money, I was very dissapointed because an annuel church convention is very important that everything runs smooth because its a special event from where I have people coming in from all over the United States...Matilda

Room Tip: Think twice about booking a large group here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear matilda h,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are disappointed to hear of the issues you encountered with your group reservations and want to let you know we apologize for the inconvenience this caused you and your guests. We understand your frustration in this situation and we know the most important thing, regardless of any staffing changes occurring at the hotel, is to ensure our guests are well taken care of every time they stay with us. I have passed your comments along to the rest of the hotel management team so we may look into this matter further and resolve for future stays. If you would like to discuss anything about your recent stay in further detail please do not hesitate to contact Raymond Hite at raymond.hite@fourpointshobbyairport.com .
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Needed a place by the airport to catch a morning fight without having to fight Houston traffic, and booked a room at the Four Points by Sheraton.

This is a newer property, maybe 2 years old by this point. Upon entering the lobby you can tell everything is kept in very good condition.

Check-in was fast and efficient, and I stayed in room 222.

Got settled in went down to the bar to grab a bite to eat and a drink. Sadly, they were out of sour mix for a Vodka Sour, so I had to go with my second choice of a Cape Cod. The gentleman behind the bar, Cody, was very apologetic about them being out of sour mix, but his brilliant customer skills saved the day and turned it into a non-issue. As an aside, one thing Cody was absolutely right about were the banana nut muffins. Said they were his favorite. Yeah, if they have those for breakfast, yeah get one. Made in house. Delicious. The recommendation was spot on. I would have taken the whole case of them if they'd had let me.

The food menu is a bit limited, but I went with the bacon and bleu burger ... maybe not the most healthy thing in the world, but it was right tasty. And none of that wimpy flimsy fatty bacon either. This was thick-cut and crisp.

My room was impeccable. There was not a single thing out of place. Everything was exceptionally clean. There wasn't even as much as a spot of dust anywhere, and this includes on top of the headboard, and on top of the wall decorations. You can tell housekeeping takes significant pride in their work here.

The bed is a Simmons Beautyrest "Euro-Top". Firm, but with a nice pillowtop. The pillows, as it seems standard in most Sheraton's I've been in, are soft, yet supportive -- very comfortable.

In fact, the only unusual thing I noticed is that the bar is called 747 (because it's next to Hobby Airport I assume), but it's ironic since Hobby is pretty much exclusively Southwest Airlines who fly 737's, and not 747's. Nerdy me found this amusing.

Since my hotel room was on the far side of the hotel, I cannot say if highway noise is an issue anywhere as I didn't hear any.

There are plenty of power outlets near the desk, and the bed. No problems plugging in my laptop and my phone to charge.

Internet ISP Is Comcast Business class -- I had plenty of bandwidth to stream Netflix in HD without slowing down the network at all. Internet is complimentary at this facility. They had a hardwire ethernet plug in the room, but I just used the WiFi.

They have some business computers set-up in the lobby, and also a fitness center that looked in good condition -- but I used neither. They also had a pool that looked very clean, but again I did not use this amenity.

One thing that I found interesting is that instead of soap, shampoo and conditioner bottles left in the tub, they had shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in dispensers attached to the wall. This was a neat perk as it was the first time I had run across this in a hotel.

Breakfast the following morning was the Bacon and Eggs, over-medium. Eggs cooked perfectly, and of course, they gave me one of those aforementioned muffins (no, really, get one). The breakfast staff was just as friendly as the evening staff, I might add.

I'm very hopeful that someone from the hotel reads this -- your entire staff, from your friendly and welcoming front desk staff, to the chef who came out to ask me how my meal was, to your friendly muffin-recommending bartender, to your hardworking housekeeping and maintenance staff all do a fantastic job and deserve some accolades. My job has me in hotels all the time, and yours was one of my best stays ever.

Room Tip: If road noise is a concern, see if maybe they can put you near the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Jason M,
Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback about our hotel! We are thrilled to hear that we provided you with a great stay, from check in, to your experiences at our restaurant and bar, to our friendly staff at the front desk. We hope to see you back in the near future!
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Not located in the best of areas as the highway is right in front of the hotel - but fine for a good nights sleep. The staff is wonderful - and the rooms very nice and clean. They even have a pool and small workout facility. Not easy to walk to restaurants and especially not a good place to stay if you are looking to run as the traffic is heavy. It is just minutes from Hobby airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RMGTravel
Ohio, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2013

This review is for my husband. Reviewed the hotel on this site before booking and did read about another SPG member that was promised a few things that were not delivered upon. Was not awarded the 500 points I was for taking part of their "be Green" program which was 250 points for each day you didn't request maid service, towels ect. Should of only earned 250 but at check out was advised the award will be 500 and should show up in a few days on my account. Check out receipt did not show any points awarded. Check account after 3 days still nothing, called SPG direct spoke with a rep who advised me for my stay I should receive 500 points. Rep said she made a request to the hotel to award the 500 points and check in 1 week. Waited 10 days before I took more action. Called SPG again and this time the rep called the hotel. Laurali (laura-lee) answered the call and was only willing to offer 250 points for the stay. Clearly not happy about the outcome....... Issues with the hotel are key card would not work for the pool, key card did not work to get back into the back of the building, had to walk all the way around to the front no one greeted on the way in. Water tank was empty in the gym and there were no towels. Front desk is courteous upon arrival but usually outside the front door smoking cigarettes after that. Called because forgot to pack toothpaste, instead of someone bringing it up to my room had to get all the way dressed then walk to the lobby to collect it. Points are important and for the trouble spent working to getting them even if 250 was the correct amount the other 250 should of been awarded as a comp if anything. Value for this trip was good because points were used for Free Nights.

Room Tip: sleep quality is good rooms in back of hotel... Front desk does know this already. .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Abbysams
Mel_Garber, Starwood Hotels at Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Abbysams,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We regret to hear of the issues you encountered with our Make a Green Choice program as we take this initiative very seriously at Four Points and always wants to reward our guests for partaking. We also want to extend our apologies regarding any issues you experienced with our staff or hotel amenities during your stay and let you know I have shared all of your feedback with the hotel management team so we may look into these issues further and resolve moving forward. If you would like to discuss anything further please don’t hesitate to contact Rohit Dand at rohit.dand@chospitality.com.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Close to the airport. Very nice and friendly staff. Rooms are great and comfortable. I was there for only one night. Even though I was there extremely early they reduced the early checkin fee for me. Rooms were quiet, clean and very relaxing. Breakfast was fast and tasty. Love the cozy lobby area and bar. Wish they were open for lunch as well. Pefect location for a short stay by the airport. The complimentary shuttle is a great service. They even took me locally to get someting to eat because I didn't have a car. A great bunch of folks. Southern hospitality.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Keyna W
Rachel M, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Houston Hobby Airport, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Dear Keyna W:

Thank you for acknowledging our hard work! We try to provide our guests with the best in southern hospitality during their respective stays. Our breakfast is tasty and I am glad you enjoyed it. For all travelers without transportation, we provide shuttles nightly to local restaurants and even provide recommendations.

Our goal is for you to enjoy your trip and forget all your worries regarding logistics. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,