“Very Clean, Nice Staff”

Ranked #327 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Lido Beach, New York
“Very Clean, Nice Staff”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here to be reasonably close to the airport, which it was. The staff was washing the window screens in the parking lot when we arrived, which was a good clue about how clean the room proved to be. It's bare bones, but nicely kept and well-managed. Also, very good price. No breakfast or coffee, for that matter, but lots of good options close by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Pros:
1) Rooms very lovely, tasteful, and modern
2) Free WiFi
3) Fridge and microwave
4) Location
5) Owner/manager lives on-site
6) DVD player/satellite TV free
7) Washer and dryer available

Cons
1) Other patrons - Such a great deal is found by not just you... At 2 and 3 am, there were other patrons actin' a fool in the parking lot - having noisy arguments, even squealing out of the parking lot. You typically don't hear the ruckus as long as the TV or AC is on.
2) Family run - No pens or pads in the room, no "Do Not Disturb" door hanger, an unlabeled phone (so you can't phone front desk), no Bible in the nightstand - the typical national chain perks are gone.
3) Cheap vibe - It seems like a family business, not a national chain. I had to manhandle the door to get it to lock properly. A lamp was missing a bulb. The thermostat didn't work properly. No vending machine - only about 10 items available at front desk. Since the phone isn't labeled, you have to ask for items at the front desk. If you ask for extra towels, etc, you're charged $15 deposit (will be returned once you return items). If you ask for anything (soaps, etc), they ask you your room number.
4) Only one ice machine... on the ground floor
5) No continental breakfast :(
6) Staff - Not a fan. It was unsettling when I tried to check in because the manager/owner interrogated me as to why I chose them and how I found them and made me fill out a patron info sheet - name, address, reason for travel, car color, car license plate, etc etc. I could understand some of the questions but it felt like an interrogation. Only 1 person at the desk (usually family member) at any/all times.
7) Safety - Maybe it was due to my door's issues and unruly patrons during my stay, but I didn't feel safe there. I could overlook everything else, but I just didn't feel safe.

I gave it 4 stars because I'm thinking maybe my experience was unusually bad. Honestly, for the quality of the furnishings at the price, it's a steal. I would give it one more chance, just to be sure it wasn't a freak thing.

Do NOT get room 201.

Room Tip: Do NOT get room 201 - door has problems locking.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lanilu2012
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting my mom in the hospital. I chose it for the location, couple of blocks from the hospital, and price, $50 a night on a Friday and Saturday. It was a very clean motel with lots of room. The room had a mini fridge and a microwave. There was no continental breakfast but plenty of places to eat between the motel and I45. A BBQ restaurant, Taco Bell, and Burger King are within walking distance. A Kroger is two blocks down with Target and Walmart within 5 miles. I am 6'3" and could stand underneath the shower head. This is rare and was very nice. The only down side is the location, it does not seem like best area of town but not the worse. The Woodlands area is just to the north but cost a little more. I would stay here again if I needed to, but with family in town I probably won't. I just wanted to be close to the hospital.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank rdp343
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I stay at alot of hotels and motels for work. Grand Inn and suites is one of the best. Clean rooms, great staff and great price!!!! I stay here 4 nights a week, while working in Houston area. I have not had any issues, concerns or problems. I tried 3 other places before staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business