“Worth Your While”

Ranked #317 of 506 Hotels in Houston
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Worth Your While”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I am her on a three-month stay. When staying this long, the "little things" come into play more than someone on a 1-2 night stay.

Here are my thoughts:

Extremely well-kept suite rooms.

Kind and attentive staff. This is an independently-owned family business, and their hospitality is real. I see pride of ownership throughout.

Casper the dog to greet you at the front desk(!)

Willingness on the part of staff to make things right. (Example: I had poor wi-fi reception in my room, and my wireless device did not support the Ethernet cable they provided. The staff purchased and installed a router in my room to make my life easier, as I'm recovering from surgery and don't move around very well).

Good location. Although some of the surrounding area is sketchy after dark, this property is located very close to the I 45 freeway and IAH airport.

Non-smoking rooms (but conveniently-located ashcans outside of the rooms).

Generally quiet clientele. Short on the riff-raff factor.

Many returning clientele--which says a LOT.

And did I mention Casper the dog? (And if you're lucky, you'll catch a rare sighting of his lovely "sister," Bella.

I can't really say enough about this place. Two big thumbs up.

Room Tip: Reserve ahead for wheelchair accessible rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Kate H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

My husvand worked in the heat all day. We were checked in and a very by a careing front desk clerk. She listened and felt we would be happy on the second floor. Explaining my knee issue and I wore hearing aids i should have left then. Alrhouht she tried. The communication was poor. Her custoner service was good. Nothing that hotel training from managenent couldnt coa shech her on. The second floor steps where excruciating. I politly expressed my concerns for the bumblebee infestation in room 130 that we stayed at two nights ago when they started painting was why I believe she was trying to acconadate us.
We walked into the room 223 it was about 95 degrees in there turned on the air conditioner put our Coca Cola in fridge. Fell into bed. Very unconfortable with poor air curculation. Tossing and turning. I was unable to sleep. Took a showwe but the oil or i like to think rhey cleaned it was so bad i slippes from no sone oily build uo I exited with out a shower. Too tired to call. And would it matter i asked for a ash tray two days prior via my cell phone because there was no working phone. Now there is no respose to two requests for an ash tray. I give up. Very displeased. I must use a cup of water. Tacky!
My husband awakes miserable and sweating, i too am uncomfortable as he wakes me to tell me. I call and get lots if rude questions.
I finally get the argumentative woman to say sonething and hang up on me.
A woman showes doesnt address herself and shuffles us into 222. Its hot but atkeast she thought ahead of time to turn the air on in it. It's only 90 degrees in there now so I haven't tried to go back to sleep.
I go to put my beverages in the fridge in the fridge is not on and doesn't work. I go to the ladies room where discover there's all kinds of graffiti written on the walls in irons and doors and just disgusting on the entire wall where the blow dryer should be is nothing ists filthy andblank someone has taken it off the wall. I go to call the front desj. Her tone was so negative with me when I had to use my own personal cell phone because there's no phone again in this room that you're the one chair to sit in has a broken leg with the you're sitting to the left of it
Long story short.
I was treated with disrespect
Hung up on, not offered a blow dryer but another room aftervi was told they werevbooked up. I merly asked forca little compebsation back.
Screanmed at when i asked for the owner.
I rese research the owner only to get that they don't own the property even know the Texas business license goes right to their names
In closing it could have been a simple situation taken care of immediately but it went in to disrespect yelling screaming she accuse me of hanging out which I never did when she was young I said I'm totally hanging up.
She refused to give me her name she refused to give me Mr Patel name or any contact information in closing I was asking now from a full reimbursement of 6750 for the inconvenience I get it was kind of fun and as I try to come back for 15 times my personal cell phone the number of the line was not answer

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been staying at this location for over four months while working out of town and the owner Mr. Patel is always willing to do whatever is necessary to accommodate his guest.

I highly recommend this location, security is good (a lot of HPD and Harris county officers drive through) Mr. Patel himself is a Homeland Security Officer. Two thumbs up!

Room Tip: Tell Mr. Patel that JOSEPH or THOMAS referred you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JC W
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Even though the room was clean and well appointed, it was 95 in the room at 10:00 pm when we arrived and only 86 by 2:00 am. This may because you can see light all the way around the door. We were told the room would cool in 30-40 minutes. This stay did not live up to the visual standard set by the rooms appearance.

• Stayed July 2013
Lido Beach, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed here to be reasonably close to the airport, which it was. The staff was washing the window screens in the parking lot when we arrived, which was a good clue about how clean the room proved to be. It's bare bones, but nicely kept and well-managed. Also, very good price. No breakfast or coffee, for that matter, but lots of good options close by.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Pros:
1) Rooms very lovely, tasteful, and modern
2) Free WiFi
3) Fridge and microwave
4) Location
5) Owner/manager lives on-site
6) DVD player/satellite TV free
7) Washer and dryer available

Cons
1) Other patrons - Such a great deal is found by not just you... At 2 and 3 am, there were other patrons actin' a fool in the parking lot - having noisy arguments, even squealing out of the parking lot. You typically don't hear the ruckus as long as the TV or AC is on.
2) Family run - No pens or pads in the room, no "Do Not Disturb" door hanger, an unlabeled phone (so you can't phone front desk), no Bible in the nightstand - the typical national chain perks are gone.
3) Cheap vibe - It seems like a family business, not a national chain. I had to manhandle the door to get it to lock properly. A lamp was missing a bulb. The thermostat didn't work properly. No vending machine - only about 10 items available at front desk. Since the phone isn't labeled, you have to ask for items at the front desk. If you ask for extra towels, etc, you're charged $15 deposit (will be returned once you return items). If you ask for anything (soaps, etc), they ask you your room number.
4) Only one ice machine... on the ground floor
5) No continental breakfast :(
6) Staff - Not a fan. It was unsettling when I tried to check in because the manager/owner interrogated me as to why I chose them and how I found them and made me fill out a patron info sheet - name, address, reason for travel, car color, car license plate, etc etc. I could understand some of the questions but it felt like an interrogation. Only 1 person at the desk (usually family member) at any/all times.
7) Safety - Maybe it was due to my door's issues and unruly patrons during my stay, but I didn't feel safe there. I could overlook everything else, but I just didn't feel safe.

I gave it 4 stars because I'm thinking maybe my experience was unusually bad. Honestly, for the quality of the furnishings at the price, it's a steal. I would give it one more chance, just to be sure it wasn't a freak thing.

Do NOT get room 201.

Room Tip: Do NOT get room 201 - door has problems locking.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lanilu2012
North Richland Hills, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting my mom in the hospital. I chose it for the location, couple of blocks from the hospital, and price, $50 a night on a Friday and Saturday. It was a very clean motel with lots of room. The room had a mini fridge and a microwave. There was no continental breakfast but plenty of places to eat between the motel and I45. A BBQ restaurant, Taco Bell, and Burger King are within walking distance. A Kroger is two blocks down with Target and Walmart within 5 miles. I am 6'3" and could stand underneath the shower head. This is rare and was very nice. The only down side is the location, it does not seem like best area of town but not the worse. The Woodlands area is just to the north but cost a little more. I would stay here again if I needed to, but with family in town I probably won't. I just wanted to be close to the hospital.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo