“This place really made Houston for me”

Friends House Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Houston
Friends House Hostel
Tokyo
“This place really made Houston for me”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

And that's good, because something had to.

I booked for three nights, ended up staying for four. The first person I met was Dan, out on the street, who asked "Are you the new guy?" Within 10 minutes, I was very happy to be the new guy. I had a kitchen that I should have made more use of, for a price I couldn't argue with. The building put me in mind of nice old wooden homes I grew up in, in Berkeley, CA.

The reputation for friendliness is deserved. On a weekend morning, Leah drove me to the conference I was attending downtown, when I was running a little late. She was great fun to talk to. As an inn manager myself, I have more than a little in common with her.

The neighborhood is quite as described in the other reviews here. For me, it was the perfect antidote to the conference venue (Hyatt Regency Downtown, in a bleak concrete-tower landscape which I've been told is also home to the terrestrial branch office of Darth Vader Enterprises.) The historic district offers comfortable diversity, but also, in its restaurants, bars and cafes, a lot of Stuff White People Like -- to which I'm fatally attracted, being a white quasi-hipster myself. At Beavers, I had quinoa-blackberry salad -- with a bowl of Texas chili. Both were great. At Catalina Cafe, I tried a Kenyan brew that had me asking the barista if their roaster ships internationally. Maybe it's no Austin, but if you need that in your life while you're in Houston, stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank TamaRyokan

Families
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

we only stayed here one night on our second stop of our USA trip and we loved it... We had a private room with share bathroom. It was very clean and tidy. Surrounded by trees and wildlife we loved the whole vibe here. walking distance to the city and staff were extremely helpful and gave us directions and a map etc. would recommend to anyone passing through Houston. Only fault was their pillows being very uncomfortable but i did keep in mind that it was a budget hostel and i am fussy with pillows. So all round great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank laura m
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This place is great. I had a private room with private kitchen and a shared bathroom. It was clean and comfortable plus you get a free breakfast in the morning. The host, Leah was amazing and very friendly. If you need any travel advice or anything she is always willing to help out. She also gives you a map, some brochures and a Space Center voucher on arrival which is great. Trust her when she says that you can't walk Houston! I tried it and my feet suffered a lot! The area is safe and so is the city. I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank MariaJM1980
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I stayed with a couple of friends in the dorm and were amazed of how nice atmosphere there was. I've never written a review about anything before but this place calls for one. The hosts, Leah and Danny are very friendly people and you can see they enjoy what they do. Their kindness spread through the guests without any of the hostel-hippie that you find at most places with flags all over and beer drinking receptionists.

In the common kitchen they have free noodles, phone with free calls to USA and Canada. The hostel is situated in the old German settlement of the city. I didn't care that much for the city on my travels but I did indeed enjoy the hostel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Viktorfromsweden
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We finished our road trip in Houston at this hostel. It was prefect for us we stayed in the mixed dorm. It was clean with a lovely sitting area and kitchen. It felt more like a little holiday let than a hostel. The owner was lovely and had lots of advice to give on places to visit etc. The only downside to the hostel was trying to find it when arriving at night in the dark. The hostel is a house on a residential street with only a very small sign so is not at all obvious. I would recommend staying here to friends, its in a really charming neighborhood.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank bowsera
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed in a private room that was minimal but acceptable -- bare wooden floors, thin foam mattress -- but with an air conditioner that really cranked. (Houston is hot pretty much all the time.) Location is great, in an older 'hood just a few blocks from the glittering downtown and a 30-min walk (20 the way I walk) to Minute Maid Park. A few street people about, but it didn't feel dangerous to me.

Free breakfast and coffee in the mornings! Hard to beat.

The couple who run the hostel are quite warm and inviting. The man, Danny I believe, planted himself in the street one morning and did tai chi with swords -- bare-chested -- more weird than interesting ... then tried to get me to sign up for classes. No thanks!

Overall, excellent value for your money, even more so in the dorm.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank neal f
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Charming place in the oldest area of Houston, probably one of the most interesting. Lovely houses and streets. Rooms are very rough. We had a good time apart from having all our stuff moved from one (private) room to another while we were out without even receiving a phone call to ask first. And when we complained politely about that the lovely girl that works there (Leah) turned into a chihuahua. We were really surprised after the great welcoming we'd received beforehand. To balance that out, Danny was a great host and character. He provided us with a free half an hour self-defence class, which then turned into a whole evening of self-defence: exhausting but very entertaining and useful. Anyhow, we then got robbed and mugged several times during our 6 months southamerican travel (not your fault Danny!)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends