“A double bed in a small room”

Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport
Ranked #290 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 31 May 2014

United Airlines (being 4 hours late in a flight from EWR to IAH) put us up in this hotel after we missed the last flight to Austin that day. At that point, we had been awake almost 24 hours having started out in Paris (United's CDG to EWR flight was one and a half hours late). The hotel is rundown and is very basic. Someone had stolen the door lock into the bathroom and the coffee maker did not work. There was no tub, but there was a good shower. Maybe the non-comp rooms were better.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Saraa001, Guest Relations Manager at Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the IAH Houston Airport, TX Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your concerns, and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very close to IAH and convenient to all roads and freeways. Has great WiFi at no charge, rooms are very clean and if you're not a big breakfast eater they have what you need to start the morning off right. Nice plaza directly behind with numerous choices for lunch and dinner. Room rates are very reasonable and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ryen7

I am happy you enjoyed our complimentary wireless internet, Thank you for staying with us I was happy to read that found your room to be clean and with a pleasant smell. I hope we will get the honor of welcoming you back next time you visit Houston

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a very early flight out of Houston so we stayed at this Inn. Not only was the rate reasonable the hotel was clean, staff was friendly and helpful. Also as a bonus we parked our car in their lot for a very nominal fee.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gramps3421

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is horrible.

My family and I stayed at the hotel in late April 2014. Thankfully, we only stayed one night.

First off, the woman at the front desk was clueless, and could barely speak English. Also, she appeared over worked, and couldn't seem to handle the work load she was responsible for.

Also, don't expect WIFi at this hotel, it was broken the entire time we were there. No, it wasn't just me, many guests were complaining. I asked the front desk girl, and she said the WiFi hasn't been working recently, and she wasn't sure when it would be fixed.

The pool was also small and dirty looking.

Also, the room was pretty spartan and dirty. I went to the lobby before going to bed to ask for an extra pillow, and I was told "We don't give extra pillows to guests" Really ???

Also, the rooms are very loud. We were kept awake all night long by the road traffic. Apparently there isn't any insulation in the walls.

We checked out at 6:30 AM, and the so called "continental breakfast" wasn't even available yet.

We utilized the on premise parking, and the hotel agreed to pick us up at the airport when we returned.

After an enjoyable trip to Cozumel, we arrive back to Houston, and attempt to contact the Hotel. I was told "the shuttle is on the way". After about 45 minutes, and 3 more phone calls to the hotel, the shuttle finally arrived. Keep in mind, while we were waiting, all of the other hotel shuttles must have passed us 3 or 4 times (just nobody from Red Roof). In summary, Don't depend on their shuttle, its slow and unreliable.

Overall, our stay was bad, and the customer service terrible to non existent.

Do yourself a favor, and book a different hotel near the airport. I will never stay at another Red Roof again!

Room Tip: Here's a room tip....stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband, son and I stayed here last year before an international flight and had a very pleasant experience. Not so much this year.

Upon check-in we were met by staff that carried the aire of not really caring about their customers, they just wanted the shift to end so they could do what they wanted to do, not what their duties entailed. Staff spoke poor english, had little knowledge of the services offered by the hotel (extended parking, wi-fi, shuttle service, breakfast service), and were above all fairly rude.

Wi-fi is a joke. You must go to the lobby by the front desk to access it anymore.

The room was very disgusting. The floor felt as if it had either not beed cleaned in a long time or it had too much solution applied at the last cleaning. It was just very tacky and left me feeling very dirty. Add to that the fact that you get three pillows that are about 12x12 inches square and it really adds insult to the room injury.

The a/c hardly functioned and when it did it was excessively noisy. To make matters worse the exterior window pane on the double paned windows was broken thus killing the energy efficiency.

The continental breakfast was not available in the morning. It appears that they do not start service until after 6:30 on the weekends. In other words if you have an early morning flight booked on the weekend you can count this place out for breakfast.

When we returned from out trip we had to wait close to 45 minutes for the shuttle to arrive to pick us up from the airport. I have to assume the shuttle runs pick-ups only every 30 minutes, as they do drop-offs. It was very frustrating after a long day of travel with a tired and grumpy 2 y.o. to have to stand out in the muggy, smoke filled heat of the pick-up area watching the area hotels shuttles come and go non-stop.

While we enjoyed our stay here last year the experiences this year have soured our taste for the hotel and we will not return next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank menwa
Zohra C, Manager at Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the IAH Houston Airport, TX Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here after a cancelled flight - a few days have passed and I am still surprised that a large airline would put people in this place.

Check-in staff were rude and appealingly clueless, little improved in the room, which could be best described as a bad dream. The room was fairly clean although small and hopelessly smelly, and not to the mention the noise it appeared to be under direct flight paths.

The hotel is clearly cheap and with that a huge variety of different persons further lowered the already lacking substance, with the sounds of people coming and going almost all night and little sound insulation made this stay poor.

I really do think skipping this hotel would be a good idea - perhaps try upgrading to a tent, as I am sure it would be better.

Room Tip: Don't even bother
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Zohra C, Manager at Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hello

you mentioned in your review (Stayed here after a cancelled flight and a few days have passed and I am still surprised that a large airline would put people in this place).since you were here you know we are surrounding with 15 different hotels with a walking distance if you were really unhappy with the service you should pick a different hotel or talk to airline to put you a different hotel but you decided to stay with us for few days.i understand your frustration about
flight been cancelled but you need to understand that its not the hotel fault that the airline over booked us and we have to deal with all the guest that are mad and frustrated and they take it out on us

Reviewed 1 May 2014

United Air booked us in this hotel because of a missed connection. Reception area had an old and bad, musty smell. Room was absolutely disgusting. I was concerned about laying my head down on the pillow. Pillows smelled and bedding only had a worn out sheet with a blanket. Why would United Air put their customers in a hotel like this? I would never stay here or any of this chain again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies. if you were not satisfied with your room then why didn't you let us know that night we could offer you a different room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Houston
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Bush IAH South
Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental
Ramada Houston Intercontinental Airport East
Hampton Inn & Suites Houston-Bush Intercontinental Airport
Doubletree Houston Intercontinental Airport
Comfort Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport

Been to Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport? Share your experiences!