“Good value in a popular area”

Extended Stay America - Houston - Galleria - Uptown
Ranked #239 of 517 Hotels in Houston
Louisiana
“Good value in a popular area”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Stayed at this hotel in December 2010 and returned. Stayed on 3rd floor this trip. When first entering the room the smell of cleaning products was overwhelming. But the window opens so the room could be aired out. If not for this option, myself and companions probably could not have stayed. The residual of the cleaning products burned our eyes and throat. But opening the window corrected the situation to the point where we decided we could stay. Other than that, the room was a very good value. The room was clean. The beds were comfortable. There was no issue with noise. The hallway a little smell of stale cigarette smoke. The staff was friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank elana25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hebron, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 April 2011

A lot of people have trashed this hotel, but if you are looking for a cheap room in a good location, it's not so bad. Bear in mind, you're paying fifty bucks a night. The service is poor, no doubt. In fact, there's no one at the front desk after 11:00 p.m. If you want fresh towels and the bed made, there is a $3 a day charge. I paid for this, but they still didn't provide me towels on one of the three days we were there. My buddy also paid for this, and got no service on any of the days we stayed. There was always a line at the desk, and it was clearly understaffed. There are basically no amenities - if you want a gym or pool, they will give you a pass to go to the Sheraton next door. The place is a bit down at the heels. The rooms are decent sized and mine was clean. But the linens and bedspread are clearly worn. The lights in my buddy's room kept going on and off, and two of the guys had problems with the AC in their room. I had neither of these problems myself, but be prepared if you get the wrong room.

All that being said, it's cheap. I don't know what most people expect for fifty bucks a night, but this was about what I figured it would be. It's an aging, extended-stay hotel that provides a cheap place to crash. That's it. If you need a cheap room and don't have high expectations, this place is fine. If you expect valet parking and room service, pay the $250 a night for the Sheraton next door.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Neptune1117
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2011

The first and last thing you'll notice about this hotel is the smell outside. There's no nice way to say it, it smells like an outhouse, an overpowering, gutwrenching stench that left us queasy. I don't know where the smell came from, it could be completely unrelated to the hotel, like from dumpsters at a building next door, but it definitely affected our stay.

We arrived at 3pm and had to wait in line for 30 minutes to check in. The employees at the counter were extremely slow and gave each customer a long sales pitch hawking extra towels and snacks even though there was a line waiting. The room itself was a bit smaller than I'm used to from extended-stay type rooms and had a strong odor of mopwater or disinfectant, the sheets were like sandpaper, and there was a constant racket of doorslamming in the morning.

The location is great but I can't say it was worth the rest of the experience.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank b4belfish

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Graysville, Alabama
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I made reservations for this handicapped room in november 2010. I got there and the room was not wheelchair accesible at all. All my spouse could do was roll forward and backward, not to mention that the other handicapped room had someone that had been there for weeks, no problem, but I should have been told that my room would not accomodate me and my spouse instead of the computer giving me a conformation. So, the young lady tried to assist us as best she could, which I commended her on. The next morning I tried to get another room because of their mistake I had to check out of the room that was given to me (another room)even though it was paid in full. The could not guarantee me a room until 130 even though check out was 11. Oh not to mention many customers had to switch rooms upon my arrivall besides me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank williams170
Brisbane Region, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I stayed at this place for almost 2 weeks while on a business trip. It is located right in between the Intercon and Sheraton, within a walking distance to the Galleria. Location was excellent and had geat restaurents and shopping places nearby. I'd say good value for this price (I paid $ 70 + taxes); though I'd go to one of the hotels nearby spending a few more dollars to have the breakfast included. The only dampener in the room was the a/c which was very noisy.. had to turn it off a few times to get some sleep.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AKasAdvisor
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We only stayed at this hotel for 1 night on our way to San Antonio. We choose motel because of the price, all the hotels in downtown Houston seemed to be very expensive and as we were on a two month holiday in America we wanted to keep our costs down.
This hotel is not downtown its in the hospital area but it was easy accessible from downtown on the metro in about 20 minutes.
There was not any food places near the hotel but we found a subway and a supermarket about 15 mins walk away.
The room was quite basic but it was clean and for $60 a night we weren’t expecting it to be flashy. I think its meant for extended stays as it came with a kitchenette and breakfast bar.
The motel did have wifi but wasn’t free but was only $4.95 for the whole stay which wasn’t too bad but it wasn’t the greatest speed.
I would recommend this place to anyone who was on a budget staying in Houston

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank startrax25
Reviewed 4 June 2010

This place is a great value for the location especially if you are relocating to Houston and need a place to stay for 30 days or more to find a permanent place.
They accept pets and have a great 30 day rate.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo