“Pleasantly surprised”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Downtown
Ranked #334 of 518 Hotels in Houston
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I'm very familiar with Houston and the neighborhood this motel is located in is not the greatest. However, I was very pleasantly surpised of the quality and cleanliness. Very spacious room. My only complaints, which are few and minor, are I wished the TV cable selections offered some music channels and the motion sensor on the light in the bathroom. I like sleeping with music on, using it as "white noise" to block out the surrounding sounds. And the motion sensor on the light would not keep the light on more than what seemed like 30 seconds. I would have to constantly wave my hand in front of it to keep from shaving in the dark. Over all, though, a very nice experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Ok, on the positive. The room was pretty clean. The carpet looked newish. The young couple at reception were friendly. The room was quite well equipped and its really close to downtown. There was a tiny flower garden lovingly tended at the side of the car park.

On the bad side. You know when someone says 'just off the freeway"? Well this is actually just on the freeway. Standing on the hotel balcony, a well thrown bagel would have cleared all the Northbound lanes of I-45 and most of the Southbound as well.

I have literally NEVER seen a hotel that has those security windows you get at late night gas stations so you can buy stuff without going into the building. There is one facing the carpark and another actually in reception. Either the owners are paranoid or this is a really bad neighborhood.

Almost all rooms have a single window looking straight on to the freeway. I was lucky, my room had a single window looking out onto the courtyard of gas station next door. The light over the sink was motion triggered which meant every time you turn over in bed, the light comes on. This might be worse if you had company. The wall was unfinished, there were stains on the bedspread and shower curtain. Breakfast was an education. A large jug of Sunny D for refreshments and some supermarket plastic containers of cut fruit. Of many educational moments, the best was the discovery that all the packets of sugar available at breakfast for the instant coffee machine read "Domino's Pizza".

To top it all, someone smacked my rental car overnight and drove off leaving me to pick up the pieces and pay for the damage - that's not the fault of the hotel of course.

This is a notell motel which IF you get it at a really good price and IF you are a sound sleeper and IF you really must be in downtown Houston with minimal drive.... on second thoughts you should still look somewhere else.

Room Tip: there isnt one
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Traveler2504
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This hotel has have begun to remodel and is improving. This is a great budget hotel with good beds, flat screen T.V., mirco, fridge, and new carpet-yea!. I have stayed here twice when we needed to be downtown early for business. It is very easy to get to my car. Easy (miss the traffic) travel to downtown without paying $200.00 plus for a hotel. I love saving the money I save or spending it on something else I need or want! I will stay here again. Very friendly manager.

Room Tip: King non smoking
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This is nice simple hotel. Price was good and acceptable. This hotel is nothing fancy, but has everything you need. Nice bed, spacious rooms, very clean, good breakfast. And it's not far from downtown at all. I was in town again for business and stayed here because the hotel of my choice across the street was sold out. I am completely satisfied with my stay. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The hotel is quite close to the city center and directly reachable by bus. the staff is helpfull. The rooms could be more clean. Because of the situation directly at the highway it's noisy. The air in the room was very bad.

Room Tip: If they have try a room with a window away from the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I booked this hotel because it was close to the client I was needing to stay. My criteria is location first, accommodations and amenities second. This hotel was decent, especially for the price the first stay, but this time, they gave me a dumpy room, with holes in the carpet, rundown furniture, and makeshift repair work all over. The lamp had a grafted power cord that was connected with electrical tape (which I unplugged for safety).

During my second stay, I was reminded that the WiFi did not work for my phone or email, which for a travelling business person, is paramount. I called the office, but they were unable to fix it during either stay. Needless to say, I was frustrated not being able to get much work done while there.

The "breakfast" consists of a waffle maker with watered down, overly sweet batter, two generic cereals, Sunny Delight, Milk and Coffee. That's it.

On the plus side, the location is pretty convenient, the bed was one of the best I've slept in in a lower end hotel. The staff is friendly, and they are renovating, so I will not completely bash them for these downfalls, but the place is a budget hotel - keep that in mind when booking.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Was at a function at the Convention Center Downtown and didn't want to pay an arm and a leg. We heard others talking about staying at this facility. It was easy to find off of 45, nicely lit. My husband stayed one night and on the second night I joined him. The room was large, not exactly a suite but larger than a regular room. All items in the room worked correctly. The rock, I mean the bed was a little firm but it what do you expect. Evidently on Friday nights they charge an extra $5.00 due to being the weekend or possibly they thought that we had brought the dead cockroach in the bathroom with us and charged us for his stay. My husband had a couple of sideways words with the owner/manager over paying for the second night. I suppose he thought we were going to "cheat" him out of some money but that was a little silly since my husband left all his belongings in the room. It was obvious that he was planning to return and besides that he had used his credit card to pay the initial night. It had been a matter of miscommunication with the female that worked the desk. All in all, the room was quite clean (sans roach), comfortable, a/c worked well, felt safe and was reasonable. What more do you want for $60. ish per night?

Room Tip: Second floor room was quiet and felt safe.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business