“Adequate, but not what I was looking for” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of HYATT house Houston/Galleria

HYATT house Houston/Galleria
Ranked #32 of 497 Hotels in Houston
New York, NY
“Adequate, but not what I was looking for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed at this Hyatt as a business traveler to the area. If I were a leisure traveler, and the price was right, I would consider staying here again, but this is certainly not a "full service" business hotel - my bad, for not spending enough time on research.

The rooms have kitchens, which are a plus if you want to cook for yourself. The rooms, beds, and bathrooms are adequate, but not special by any means. The free breakfast was OK, but nothing great - eggs, cereal, fruit, coffee, etc. - decor was sort of a cafeteria atmosphere.

Parking is self-park. The door/lock to the hotel in the garage was broken, which was a slight concern. After 9 or 10 pm, there was only a single person on staff at the front desk. For some reason, the swimming pool did not open until late morning, which isn't great if you want to take an early morning swim before work.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. I had a package arrive for me during the day, and the staff called me immediately to alert me that it had arrived. Toothbrushes and toothpaste were available for free at the desk.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you letting us know how we can improve.

You are correct in the fact that we are not a full service property. We are a limited service extended stay location. Most of our guests are with us for 30 days or more.

I will touch base with our operations team to ensure all garage door locks are working properly. The safety of our guests is our top priority.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel was not bad. The rooms were a little small for a suite.
You couldn't really open the door to the bedroom from the inside without some creative manuvering. The breakfast was pretty average for a hotel breakfast buffet.
The thing that was a little scary happened in the parking garage. We came back from dinner one night to find the entrance blocked by fire trucks, an ambulance, and several police cars.
They staff was very accomodating, they said just park along the side and they would keep an eye on the car (cars actually since there were several guests affected). I came down about an hour later to get something from the car and noticed the fire trucks and ambulance were gone so I decided to move the car into the garage. When I pulled in and made the corner, I found it was still blocked by police. As I was trying to manuver into a tiny space, they police decided to leave. I waited until they were gone so I could park on the fourth level (since our room was on that level). As I was passing the area where they were, I noticed a large amount of blood on the ground. I mean a LARGE amount of blood. I took a few pictures of it but I am not sure it is appropriate to post them here. After I told my wife and daughter, they were a little nervous. They wouldn't go anywhere in the hotel or garage alone and I am not sure I would have let them anyway.

When we left the next day, they had power washed the area. That seemed a little weird to me too... I would think that they would have had to clean it up in a "safer" manner.
Not a good experience, but not the hotels fault either. However, I still probably won't stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

During your stay we had a guest who injured himself in the hotel’s parking lot and 911 was called to make sure the injury was addressed. We truly apologize for the inconvenience of the emergency vehicle, but we needed to make sure the guest was safely taken care of. Please be assured we cleaned up the incident site as quickly as possible and following the required procedures. We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously and apologize that your wife and daughter felt uncomfortable about the incident.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

My husband and I were visiting Houston for a wedding, and we chose the Hyatt house because of the location, the outdoor pool, and to have a kitchen in the hotel room. Several of the other guests were staying at other hotels, so we got a chance to see how this one stood up to others in the area. The rooms were really comfortable. I loved having a kitchen in the room even though we didn't get a chance to use it much. Having an outdoor pool was really convenient, and I used it quite a bit. I felt the hotel was well kept and clean. We had a lot of guest into the hotel room during our stay, so having a seperate living area from the bedroom was great for us. No complaints here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
We hope you had a good time while visiting Houston. Thank you for a great review. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

My husband and I stay here often and I have been meaning to review it for a while. I am here today because we really had a great experience over the weekend (January 4-6, 2013) and it is time to honor them! The hotel, like any one of us or other hotel, was having some challenges over the weekend. They are renovating their breakfast area and we were not getting our usual breakfast, and they just switched to digital cable and the TV's were not all on board yet. Well, the manager went out of his way to help me feel as comfortable as possible through all of these challenges and we were very well treated. This hotel is our favorite place to stay because the rooms are very large and luxurious, and they have a lovely free breakfast that includes eggs and breakfast meats. Since I can't eat wheat, this is important to me as most breakfast foods are full of wheat. This is one of the wonderful things the manager did - he found me some boiled eggs for breakfast since the renovations prevented any of the hot food from being offered! Ok, back to the review. Another great feature of this hotel is that you park in a garage on the level where your room is. Now, sometimes your room may be far away from the garage, but still, you are on the level where your car is. You pay for parking, but you get free wi fi and free breakfast. You get a full kitchen including dishwasher, large fridge, cooktop, disposal, microwave and coffee maker. They provide cookware and dishes, too! They have dvd players and a new feature of the digital switch over is that they now have boxes to allow you connect your computer or a video game to their lovely LCD TV's. Oh, and you get a TV for your bed as well as the living room area. Some of the rooms have the TV swivel between the room areas. We have stayed here numerous times and we always ask for a King suite, Sometimes you get one where there is a separate room for the bed and sometimes it is an area separated by the shelves and TV. They are all good! In the living area there is giant sectional sofa that is super comfy, and a desk with a comfortable chair. We are there on the weekends, but we see that during the week they offer a happy hour mingle with food on weekdays. The staff is helpful and kind and we love this hotel for our trips to Houston!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We are glad that you had a great stay with us and we were able to accommodate your needs even though our breakfast was being repainted. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Really impressed with this place. Walking distance to the Peruvian Embassy where I needed to get a Visa. Big Rooms with full Kitchens, 42" flat screens, Comfortable living room separate from bedroom. Modern furnishings. Really helpful staff that will take you in their shuttle anywhere within a five mile radius. Went to get a haircut and the driver actually waited for me. Free hot breakfast in the morning which was delicious.

Room Tip: If you smoke you want to be next to the parking garage. That seems to be where they all went
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 24 December 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our amenities. Just to make sure all information is correct our shuttle does only go with in a 3 mile radius.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed in the Hyatt House Galleria in November. It was clean, comfortable, and convenient. It is a good deal for business travelers who don't need expensive lodgings. The complimentary breakfast was superb, and the staff was friendly and professional. I can recommend the hotel enthusiastically.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for posting about your stay. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and friendly staff. We hope you will stay with us again!
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

The location is really nice. We stayed in a one bedroom king suite. Close to lots of places to eat and the galleria. It is on a quiet side street and the hotel had a nice quiet feel to it. I am not sure what it was before a hyatt house, but you can tell the building has been there a while. They have done a decent job updating it. The bathroom could have used more work. But it had great water pressure and a vent so that made me happy. The vanity area is separate from the tub area but open to the bedroom. I liked not having a steamy area to primp in. The bed was comfy but the pillows weren't great. The seating area is nice and there is a kitchen area that would come in handy for a longer stay. The breakfast was very good. Real eggs, bacon, and such. It was also a short drive to Reliant. I liked the central air-no loud a/c clanging on and off.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kaitlyn E, Director of Sales at HYATT house Houston/Galleria, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to you staying with us next time you visit the Houston area.