“Was once a good hotel”

Ranked #39 of 504 Hotels in Houston
Houston, Texas
“Was once a good hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times. It was always good but recently there has been a management change or an ownership change and the level of comfort here is way down.

I checked in and the front desk staff was rude and almost to the point of being obnoxious. It seemed that everyone at the hotel was mad at each other and taking it out on the customer. I found out that there is a new manager, so that could be the problem.

The usual Hampton experience is good, but this hotel has gone wrong in some manner. I would suggest going to the Marriott if you are going to the medical center and avoid this hotel until they straighten the management/operation of the hotel out.

I certainly will NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
MAYRAR367, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Houston Medical Center - Reliant Park, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Ralphie G,

I'm so sorry for your poor experience on your recent stay at our hotel. Please be assured I will be discussing your comments with our management team to work on immediate improvements. We take pride in providing the best in lodging and service so our lapses during your stay are being taken very seriously. I would be delighted to be of assistance in this matter if you would like to contact me at your earliest convinience at mayra.rascon@hilton.com or 713-797-0040 Ext 4908. Again, on behalf of the staff and management - I offer our apologies.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Rockwall, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We needed a comfortable hotel near the Reliant Center. I found the Hampton while driving in the area during a trip in January and thought I would give it a try on my next trip. I'm very pleased that I did. Hotel has gated parking and a very nice reception area. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable of the area. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Very good wifi with a computer desk area. The bedding was wonderfully fresh with the best pillows that I can remember. The free breakfast was much better and more varied than most hotels with sausage, scrambled eggs, waffles, mixed fresh fruit, hot oatmeal and cereal. Also had excellent coffee. There is a Lubys cafeteria on the adjacent property for those who do not want to drive to dinner.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Wayne6396,

Thank you very much for your 5 star rating and for taking your value time to share it online, we're thrilled to know that our great staff along with our friendly service and amenities meet your expectations, we will more than happy to see you again on your trip to the area. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be at your assistance.

Raleigh, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I did not have my typical Hampton Inn experience staying at this location.
Pros:
They offer a shuttle starting at 6:15 am to TMC and it is available all day and into the evening. The shuttle will also take you to restaurants in a 3 mile radius for dinner during the week. This is nice considering the only places to eat in walking distance is Luby's and Subway.
The shuttle drivers are some of the best I have experienced - they are nice, they help you with your bags, they do not drive crazy, and they know where they are going.
The woman managing the breakfast is good. She makes a beautiful display of fruit salad with fresh fruit. Granted the timer on the waffle maker does not work but that is not her fault.
The shower though older works well and does not leak out all over the floor.

Cons:
When I got to the hotel Joe told me my reservation was for 1 night 2 days prior but the email I had confirmed my reservation was starting the day I arrived for 4 nights. This has never happened to me.
Joe decided to answer multiple calls that called in after I arrived at the front desk instead of deal with the issue above. He did not suggest they had a room available for me. When Doug came to the front desk, I talked with him and he was helpful.
The hotel is 2 miles away from TMC in an asphalt jungle. It is not a nice area to walk around in. The hotels off of Fannin are in walking distance of the hospitals and a running/walking trail.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Briny Breezes, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hampton Inns are reliably clean with friendly, helpful employees & a great breakfast buffet. The hot food is hot & there is a huge variety. We've stayed in several Hampton Inns along the east coast, Houston, TX; San Diego, CA & Tampa, FL with no complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Brenda D,

As a pride employee of the Hilton chain I would like to thank you for your loyalty to our brand, is very exited to hear that or "Hamptonality" goes from coast to coast and that you enjoy our services and amenities, here at Houston are looking forward to see you again on your next trip to the area. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be at your assitance at 713-797-0040 or mayra.rascon@hilton.com

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have become very fond of the Hampton Inn & Suites hotels and this one is no exception. Comfortable rooms and a really good breakfast, with helpful staff and a reliable shuttle service covering both the Reliant Center and the local amenities. Happy hour in the lobby each evening was very sociable and a good way to break the monotony of business travel. Good wifi connection too. Watch out for the elevator though - at peak times you will have to show a lot of patience. (take the stairs!)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim H
Dallas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here while doing tests at M.D.Anderson. Helpful staff, clean room, good value, and shuttle to the door at the Hospital. Could not ask for more. Full kitchen suite with couch/bed if needed. Breakfast was excellent and very varied. Lubys next door! Always stay at Hamptons and this is a good one. B.Alexander

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

MAYRAR367, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Houston Medical Center - Reliant Park, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Barbara A,

Thank you so much for this fantastic review, we're happy to know that our lovely hotel was great for your needs I will be sure to pass your comments around with the staff here, one more time THANKS!

Mayra A. Rascon
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Hampton Inn while in Houston visiting our son, a student at Rice U. The hotel is very conveniently located to Rice, the Medical Center and Reliant Stadium. All hotel staff members we came into contact with were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was terrific and included many choices, including fresh fruit and waffles and eggs/meat. Our room was clean, fresh, comfortable and well maintained. Rooms tend to book up during the week and can be a little expensive. But, if you are able to book in advance there's a good chance you'll save some money and be happy with the rate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Footlose39,

Thanks you very much for taking few minutes of your valued time to share your comments with this fantastic online community, we're thrilled to know that we meet your needs and that our great "On the House" breakfast had everything that you expect. We're looking forward to serve you again on the near future, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be at your assistance at Mayra.Rascon@hilton.com