“A great hidden gem and modern hotel...”

Hotel Derek Houston Galleria
Ranked #107 of 506 Hotels in Houston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“A great hidden gem and modern hotel...”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Traveled to Houston for a wedding that was at The Derek. The hotel was chosen becuase of the great wedding rates, and location.

Great location, but traffic was rediculous all weekend because of The Galleria which was kiddy corner from the Hotel. (It took nearly 30 minutes just to get from the parking lot of the Galleria, to the hotel, because the main street, Westhiemer, get's severely backed up)

Upon check in, a few bellhops in particular, seemed a bit unexperienced, and maybe even under the influence of something, but the management and front desk were superb! They had mentioned that they were bought out 6 months ago by a Hotel Chain and went over some renovations.

When we walked in the room, I was very impress by the moderness, cleanliness, and overall layout of the room. However, you can sense there are certain areas that weren't as touched up as nicely as they could be, but it wasn't enough to overlook the moderness of the room.

After going out for dinner, I noticed when we got back, we had a tray of Chocolate covered strawberries and a letter signed from the management, saying thanks and welcome. Our room was also cleaned up a bit, from the short time we had when we checked in. Definitely was a nice suprising gesture.

Didn't get to check out many other ammenties in the Hotel, but the Ballroom was very modern and nice looking, and the Pool (pretty small) was in this outdoor enclosed area, with a waterfall.

Valet and pullup area gets rather crazy, because there is only 1 lane for any cars to get thru. But they try hard encouraging you to call ahead for your car (if they even pick up the phone), but it's only a 10 min max wait either way. $27 per day parking with unlimited ins/outs.

Room Tip: East faces Downtown Houston (the hotel lies in a town outside of Downtown) West faces the Galleria a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djrex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Washington, Dc
Reviewed 7 May 2013

It's been quite a while since I stayed at the Derek. What the hell happened? The hotel used to have a beautiful sleek look, now looks like a yard sale gone wrong. All kinds of styles of junk/items placed every where in the lobby area.
The rooms are color challenged and don't make sense, hot pink w browns and orange.
The parking attendants, if you want to call them that are useless. Several times when my car was brought around they had the driveway blocked both directions. The only one that seemed to know what was going on was a young lady, and many times it was as if she was working alone.
I think next time I will stay else where in Houston.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Duke202
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
We appreciate the feedback. We have been working with Dallas based design firm FlickMars to introduce bold textures and colors to our space to bring it to a place pf leading design with an emphasis on a bold, Texas-chic look.

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This place is great, chic, nice staff, cetral location, and nice amenities. It has a boutique feel and is a nice change from the chains. Highly recommended. I have not experienced the spa, but the restaurant, bar, and workout facilities all fit the parameters of two thumbs up.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Shawn G, Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
We recently renovated all of our meeting spaces- we'd love to host your meetings here at the hotel next time you come to Houston for business!
Dallas
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Hotel Derek is a very chic hotel, the decor is nice the rooms were spacious. The galleria mall is whithn walking distance. Customer Service was good. The lady at the front desk the lady name was Jeanne, we laughed at the pronunication of her name shes from new orleans. When I lost my key to my room they were thorough enough to make sure that I was who I said I was. My room was neat and clean.

Here comes my BUT.....Valet was horrible! I called the valet everytime before i would come out of my room.to get my car. I guess they thought I shouldnt be driving a car like that because they tried to give my car to someone else..One night I came back late I dont know if the some high school students were having a party or something it took them thirty min. for them to get my car. They were under staff that night but tried to make the difference the saturday I left...

Room Tip: I always aske for the corner rooms on whichever floor Im on.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Really sorry that you were made to wait for your car. We would love the opportunity to make it up to you- please let us know when you come again. We're excited to announce that will also be introducing a self parking option later this summer!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

This is not a cookie cutter chain hotel. It is one of a kind and it is wonderful. The staff is intuitive they anticipate your needs. They are friendly and polite. I went here on Buisness but it was a pleasure.

• Stayed April 2013
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Well said, John. We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you next time your travels bring you back to Houston.
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 26 April 2013

It's not part of a huge chain of hotels, may not have miles awards, but guess what, I really enjoyed it. It was modern, the room was big and very well furnished, the bar was manned by friendly staff.... so, I found it quite good. The fact that it is so close to Sullivans, where I found a great atmosphere and superb steaks, made it even more ok.
Breakfast was good, could be better, a couple of morning the waiters seemed to be overwhelmed but the room was not that full....
Only negative point: the gym: small, and with two equipment not working, which is not good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 25 April 2013

After a couple of years a return to this hotel that use to be a favorite. Some redecoration - fine - but what happen to the hospitality? Total indifference from everyone - no smiles, greetings, hellos. The the valets on the drive way were the worse - simply stood by - whether the drive way was jammed with cars in all directions not taking control. Or worse, twice when we came out after calling for the car to find it sitting by itself at the end of the driveway by the restaurant and 3 attendants simply staring at us and handing us the key - for us to walk the distance to get our own car. Really poor. The whole service was just none existent. Housekeeping forgot to service our room one day. I called two days in a row to Front Desk try to get a bathrobe and got the same "hmm, OK, right" and hang up - needless to say, no robe ever appeared. REALLY POOR SERVICE!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple