“Think again...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“Think again...”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Went here for a 5 year anniversary "staycation". Hotel was nice upon arrival. Had to wait a few minutes to be checked in. Was on the 14th floor with an east (downtown) view. The view was alright with a lot of construction to view. I paid good money for this "4 star" hotel. I booked online through the hotel website and added champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Got to my room and they weren't there. Had to call the front desk to remind them then it took them an hour to bring them up (total mood killer). Valet parking is $30.00/per night (ridiculous for the average nightly rate for room). I have stayed at the St. Regis before and don't remember paying for valet, just a tip, and there was ice in a bucket for the mini bar when we got to our room at st. Regis.

I did not let these incidents ruin my evening. I brought everything up when I checked out and the girl who checked me out did not care at all or offer anything to try and make me happy.

I would not stay at Hotel Derek again. Plenty of other 4 and 5 star hotels in the area.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Good hotel, friendly staff.
Close the the Galleria mall.
The hotel has a nice and modern feel.

Unfortunately I got a room with a connecting door (which I hate) despite asking in my reservation for a room without one.
Also they only have valet-parking.

Otherwise a great stay at a good price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Greatly appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us. We do offer a self-parking along with valet-parking. Come back and visit us soon.

Global
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I really liked the feel of the hotel, staff are friendly, quick check in and out. The cow theme and the art work through out the hotel makes stand out from the competition and gives the hotel a vibrancy that energizes you all be it perhaps on a sub conscious level.
The room was clean and bed comfortable. The shower head leaked a little but that is my only real grumble on the room.
Car parking was a little time consuming, you need to call in advance to ensure you don't have to wait, however they do advise you of this.
Breakfast was good, all though thinly staffed as it was a buffet. Generally a relaxed feel to the hotel.
Well located to walk to several restaurants and shopping in the Gallareia and surrounding strip malls.
Good value

1 Thank Travelleroffortune
Shawn G, General Manager at Hotel Derek Houston Galleria, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
We definitely want you to feel like you are part of Texas when visiting Hotel Derek. Glad you had a great time with us. Can’t wait to have you back.

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

After spending 3 nights in Derek hotel last week, I have to admit that I am quite puzzled by some of negative reviews. Because Derek truly is a GREAT hotel, with cool design throughout, excellent service
(the consierge in particular) and that special feeling that you are staying in the most happening place in town. Rooms are very cosy yet stylish. Location is very good - just across the road from huge Galeria shopping mall. Furthermore, within 3 mile radius there are couple of very nice residential areas with excellent shops and restaurants (free hotel shuttle provided). Looking forward to revisit Derek in the near figurevery helpful and that special feeling that you are staying

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for the truly amazing feedback on your recent stay with us at Hotel Derek! Glad that you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle - hope you enjoyed the very hip and happening Galleria area. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a recent conference; worked with the hotel on conference arrangements. The staff was courteous and friendly, service was excellent, and the hotel was extremely flexible when working within our budget. My room was nicely appointed, all appliances worked well, bell service was prompt and friendly. Food service for the conference was excellent. All in all a great value for our event. The hotel is located right in the middle of the best shopping in Houston, so it was easy for spouses and guests to be entertained throughout the conference.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for commenting on Hotel Derek’s convenient location; there is absolutely no shortage of great entertainment in the Galleria area. Glad the spouses were able to enjoy their time in Houston as well.

La Plata, Argentina
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a nice hotel, rooms are comfortable and clean. The restaurant is very good, but service from hotel staff sometimes was not that good. Great location, near the Galleria and other shops. A van was available to take guests to places near the hotel, that was very useful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SoniaPB
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Derek 10/10-10/2, three nights. The following is a summary of the multitude of problems at this establishment.
1) The bar is advertised as being open until 2am in the guest services books. (see photo). It advertises that they serve food until 1:30am. They closed at midnight. The night manager, Mary Mitchell was uncaring when I pointed out the error to them. She said the time change happened a year ago. She seem 'put-out' at having to talk to me. The conference events manager Jenny Durham Hung called up the conference organizer and asked that my supervisor talk to me. She tried to intimidate me by threatening my integrity with my colleagues. The hotel did comp me one night, however, I consider their action of calling the conference organizer & asking that my supervisor talk to me - - - a cheap under-handed move. I pointed out an error to them in their own printed guest services. As the customer - I was correct.
3) We had two keys to the room. My husband's key didn't work.
4) They did not ask if I had a car with me when I checked in. My room key was not programmed to work with the parking garage system and I was unable to exit the 1st night. A valet attendant wanted me to pay him cash and he would use his key pass to open up the automated arm.
5) When I got the room keys programmed to work with the parking garage system then one of them didn't work to enter our hotel room anymore.
6) The television in the room went to a blue screen and said "signal lost" every 5 minutes so you could not watch a program and understand the storyline.
7) The lobby area reeks of perfume. It is disgusting and over-powering. You can hardly breathe when you enter the hotel from the parking garage.

1 Thank Mezaland

Travellers are raving about these Houston hotels